Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

SFO/LAX to ATH July/Aug 2022 $2800-$3000 RT Business Class OneWorld/Sky Team

Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Was looking for last minute summer flights and Athens flights are far cheaper right now than any other destination in Europe for some reason

$3015 on Air France SFO-ATH in August https://www.google.com/travel/flight...F73vqp2K5E6MJ6

$2791 on AA LAX-ATH https://www.google.com/travel/flight...rmyXeXxt8SrKD9
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Not at all a good deal.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

in the context of a last minute summer flight for next month aka peak holiday travel? i havent found anything remotely close to this for any other city.
nk15 and gary_nj like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:01 pm

Return from Cairo from $2300 https://www.google.com/travel/flight...zSZ9yGeivvG9DA
nk15 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
This is still quite high for Athens.
Fwiw, SFO-FCO next summer is under $2300 which is a better "deal."
ElJudioErrante and FlanDan like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BR787
Depends how much you value being able to book a last minute holiday during peak travel season I guess.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby
Depends how much you value being able to book a last minute holiday during peak travel season I guess.
I think the push back you are getting is that this particular forum doesn't really take that into account. Whether a fare is a good deal for someone or not doesn't impact if its an overall good deal in the premium fare deals category. $3000 US transcon in J might be a good deal last minute, but you aren't going to find many people here buying that deal.
largeeyes likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
I think the push back you are getting is that this particular forum doesn't really take that into account. Whether a fare is a good deal for someone or not doesn't impact if its an overall good deal in the premium fare deals category. $3000 US transcon in J might be a good deal last minute, but you aren't going to find many people here buying that deal.
I think in the pre-pandemic/pre super-inflation days a last minute transcon flight in J could be found in this range, but it definitely has not been the case this summer. Context is everything. Im sure someone will find this useful; not everyone plans vacations months ahead.

thanks for sharing, OP.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
Thanks, solid for last minute peak summer from the WC
ebayj and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby
in the context of a last minute summer flight for next month aka peak holiday travel? i havent found anything remotely close to this for any other city.
Airports are a disaster and Europe is in the middle of a heatwave. It's not a good deal because it's a bad time to book elective travel, not because of the price.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA& UA 1MM, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
This is the Mileage Run Deals forum. Not the better than a stick in the eye forum. This fare hardly qualifies as a mileage run.
olouie likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by BR787
You can find that SFO to FCO deal even for next month for $2200 with SkyTeam (AF/KLM/DL) or $2400 with OneWorld (AA/BA). I saw it has been around for at least the last 2 weeks.
ebayj likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Time to reset your expectations. Avgas link below

https://www.iata.org/en/publications.../fuel-monitor/

The OP may be more up to date than others who lurk on this thread. Stay tuned for a change in the new normal.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
This is the Mileage Run Deals forum. Not the better than a stick in the eye forum. This fare hardly qualifies as a mileage run.
To be fair it is not a bad fare for last minute bookings. I have been following this route since the schedule opened and more recently it had been running $4500-5000 RT. And I'm booking a trip to London that is now $7k nonstop (would much rather be in the Greek Islands LOL).

That said it is not the cheapest deal to ATH as during the past 10 months I've seen a range of $2200-2400 for summer travel.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree that in context of current TATL demand, and keeping in mind that fares under $3k from the west coast are not that common, this is a relatively good deal and we should be thanking OP for posting.

I'll note that the SFO-FCO fare is also still available for limited dates in August.
cesco.g and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.