Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AF: Premium Economy IST to USA from $742/€731

AF: Premium Economy IST to USA from $742/€731

Old Jul 23, 22, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Any good deal to reposition to IST from US side (LAX/ORD/DFW/IAH) ?
Old Jul 23, 22, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pocatello View Post
^^^ There is wisdom in this post.

I agree about the strong desire for lie-flat seats on the long distance flights.

But I really like this deal for the 5:1 MQD ratio and the relatively cheap costs of about $800 round trip. Spending about $800 and getting $4K MQDs seems like a bright spot at this time.
I didn't mean to imply the original post was without merit. It is an definitely attractive proposition, especially in points and status earning accumulation. I merely bolstered the departure options. If I was 5 years younger, I'd be happy to give it a go, but I'm older and more beat up (don't want to say fragile, but...}.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maverikbc View Post
My last purchases with KL and LH, I didn't receive any email confirmations (is it normal with them?), and KL over charged my card than what the screen said. I recommend you to take screenshots every steps with any high value online purchases, but especially with KL, probably with AF, too. I complained to KL, they replied telling me too late, too bad, I filed a chargeback with Amex, I won, thanks to screenshots.
That's definitely an unfortunate experience. Their sites are often glitchy but I've never experienced anything on that level. However, I would always advise thoroughly checking every screen when booking with them. I alluded earlier to the fact that even when booking PE their system will often throw up feeders in the US in economy/MC & sometimes inexplicably all legs being in economy - even if PE was specifically selected. If ever in doubt, double check & take screenshots/video.

As for email confirmations, it's highly unusual not to receive two confirmations for each booking as is standard for KLM/AF. However, their email confirmations regarding the creation of 1 year non-refundable vouchers (either when cancelling a booking that is eligible for a voucher, or when not using the full amount of an existing voucher & thus necessitating the creation of another one for the remaining value) is HIGHLY erratic. So it's advisable to contact them if you're uneasy about anything not being processed fully.
Old Jul 24, 22, 7:35 am
Original Poster

But I really like this deal for the 5:1 MQD ratio and the relatively cheap costs of about $800 round trip. Spending about $800 and getting $4K MQDs seems like a bright spot at this time.
Thank god us Europe-based Skymilers don't have to worry about that MQD crap!

My sincere condolences!
chrini1, Pocatello, Thysk and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 24, 22, 2:03 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Londonlouis View Post
That's definitely an unfortunate experience. Their sites are often glitchy but I've never experienced anything on that level. However, I would always advise thoroughly checking every screen when booking with them. I alluded earlier to the fact that even when booking PE their system will often throw up feeders in the US in economy/MC & sometimes inexplicably all legs being in economy - even if PE was specifically selected. If ever in doubt, double check & take screenshots/video.

As for email confirmations, it's highly unusual not to receive two confirmations for each booking as is standard for KLM/AF. However, their email confirmations regarding the creation of 1 year non-refundable vouchers (either when cancelling a booking that is eligible for a voucher, or when not using the full amount of an existing voucher & thus necessitating the creation of another one for the remaining value) is HIGHLY erratic. So it's advisable to contact them if you're uneasy about anything not being processed fully.
In my experience and after several intra Europe bookings with AF and KL this past year, i realized that KLM never sends eTicket receipts anymore (just an email with the booking reference eTicket number and reservation dates), while AF usually sends the eTicket pdf as an attachment. And if i remember correctly, the KLM emails do indicate the price paid, but in case you use a voucher and pay the left over by cc, just shows the credit card amount paid and not the ticket value which makes it very challenging to track how much you paid several months later when bloody KLM decides to cancel your flight and you ask for a refund (still waiting for my refund btw for a flight they cancelled early June and for which the refund was immediately requested !
Old Jul 26, 22, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I booked IST-CDG-LAX and back the same way. I paid $22 for an exit row coming and going to IST. $850 round trip.

I am seriously doubting the dash for Delta Diamond, but I will give it one more year.

Thanks OP! I like this deal!
flyme2 and Londonlouis like this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I booked IST-CDG-LAX and back the same way. I paid $22 for an exit row coming and going to IST. $850 round trip.

I am seriously doubting the dash for Delta Diamond, but I will give it one more year.

Thanks OP! I like this deal!
No problem. Really glad it was of use to someone!

Definitely a wise choice on the exit row.. I was fortunate to have no one in the middle next to me on IST-CDG but that flight was 95% full even in March when covid was still hindering travel plans.

If it's still around or pops up again in the latter half of next year I'll likely jump on it to use 2 GUCs as I qualify for Diamond this December. KLM will likely have fully rolled out PE by then unfortunately so no more ultra cheap use of GUCs.
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jul 26, 22, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by palmanfr View Post
In my experience and after several intra Europe bookings with AF and KL this past year, i realized that KLM never sends eTicket receipts anymore (just an email with the booking reference eTicket number and reservation dates), while AF usually sends the eTicket pdf as an attachment. And if i remember correctly, the KLM emails do indicate the price paid, but in case you use a voucher and pay the left over by cc, just shows the credit card amount paid and not the ticket value which makes it very challenging to track how much you paid several months later when bloody KLM decides to cancel your flight and you ask for a refund (still waiting for my refund btw for a flight they cancelled early June and for which the refund was immediately requested !
Yeah, their (in)consistency on that type of stuff is one of their issues.

I had one fully-refundable ticket that I cancelled in January not refunded to my credit card until JUNE (!!). That was due to whomever had originally processed my refund having screwed it up & needing it to be rectified much later. For the first three months I got the usual "there's a backlog & it's waiting to be processed", which was fair enough but someone caught the mistake later.

OTOH AF & KLM get a lot of loyalty from me for having such good covid flexibility policies & for longer than almost any of their competitors. I must have cancelled 15 tickets this past year with them all to either get a full refund, or later on, a 1 year voucher. At times I had 3 separate trips planned on the same week simply because there was no way of knowing whether the country in question would be open, so in spite of the hassle with the vouchers they've done miles better than LH (where I live) or BA (one of my two homelands). Even got a rare & unexpected operational upgrade as a Delta Plat on a KL flight from the UK to AMS. Maybe they award them based on how long you've spent on the phone to customer service in the past year.
Thysk and Werty7777 like this.
Old Jul 31, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, BAEC Gold GL, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Londonlouis View Post

......... Sorry. I am a LH SEN and I book a lot on LH online. No glitch at all. The same also on AF/KL. No problems.
Old Aug 6, 22, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Looks like fare is has jumped up 1050 - 1200 for most dates in Nov 2022-Feb 2023 for many US cities. Is anything still out in range of 850 from IST-US ?
Old Aug 6, 22, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rajhyd99 View Post
Looks like fare is has jumped up 1050 - 1200 for most dates in Nov 2022-Feb 2023 for many US cities. Is anything still out in range of 850 from IST-US ?
The fare expired on July 29, 2022as originally planned.
rajhyd99 likes this.

Search this Thread