Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

British First: Germany to Hong Kong, Taipei or Manila from €3,513

Old Jul 15, 2022, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Interesting sale in First Class with British Airways (which frequent flyers call the worlds best Business Class) from Germany to Hong Kong. Taipei or Manila (via Hong Kong with the final segment in Business Class with Cathay or Philippines/China Airlines) . Sample flights are in 2023 when hopefully the borders to Hong Kong and Taipei are somewhat open, if not you could transit to Manila without issues, even now. Long-haul Flights are operated by Boeing 787-9s which feature just 8 seats. Here is a trip report from Kuala Lumpur to London (pre-Covid).

These fares credit VERY nicely to Alaska as they are in J and A class which credit at 250% EQMs and 450% for A class and 350% for J class in RDMs so a base member would earn on BER-LHR-HKG. 53946 RDMs on LHR-HKG and 4165 RDMs on BER-HKG for a total of 53946 RDMs and a total of 32945 EQMs so with a few Alaska segments you would get oneworld Ruby status.

Tickets need to be issued by 31 August 2022 and travel must start by 31 January 2023.

Fare Rules
Spoiler

Berlin to Hong Kong

Berlin to Manila via Hong Kong

Berlin to Taipei via Hong Kong

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page. Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wouldn't touch HKG with a barge pole at the moment.. or for the next year at least.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:05 pm

Wow fantastic deal for the legs flown. Yeah unfortunate about HK but the layover under 2 hours means you're not passing through local immigration controls
skipaway likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jfkeze

These fares credit VERY nicely to Alaska as they are in J and A class which credit at 250% EQMs and 450% for A class and 350% for J class in RDMs so a base member would earn on BER-LHR-HKG. 53946 RDMs on LHR-HKG and 4165 RDMs on BER-HKG for a total of 53946 RDMs and a total of 32945 EQMs so with a few Alaska segments you would get oneworld Ruby status.

Tickets need to be issued by 31 August 2022 and travel must start by 31 January 2023.
Berlin to Taipei via Hong Kong

AS has a different earnings chart for each airline partner and oneworld alliance member. For oneworld members, the marketing carrier (the two letter carrier on the flight number) determines which chart to reference. If the flight number is a CX Prime, it earns according to the CX charts, if it is a BA codeshare flight number operated by CX you reference the BA charts. J class on a CX Prime flight number earns 100% + 25% COS + 100% RDM bonus + Elite Bonus. Codeshare flight numbers only earn if the operating carrier is also a oneworld member.

I was able to replicate your BER-TPE example with CX HKG<->TPE. I have included a chart that will show the EQM & RDM earning for all Elite Members.

You would still need 5,802 miles and 4 AS Marketed and operated segments to attain MVPG Status & OWS.

James
shuttlerider likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:54 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Jonathanpeterwu
Wow fantastic deal for the legs flown. Yeah unfortunate about HK but the layover under 2 hours means you're not passing through local immigration controls
And BA would be good for switching it out if there were any issues. Whether BA F and TP at 50% higher price vs Oman J (for my itinerary) is worth it is another matter

Last edited by PxC; Jul 16, 2022 at 2:13 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Jonathanpeterwu
Unless something goes wrong and then you are at the mercy of their dehumanising rules
simonsmith and marks88 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
What happens if you miss your connection in HK and the next flight isn't until the following day?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69
What happens if you miss your connection in HK and the next flight isn't until the following day?
if on the outbound, TPE, MNL have multiple flight a day so probably on the next one in a few hours... If on the return, not sure what the procedure is TODAY but assume the might place you on another airline.
Pre-Covid I had an award SGN-HKG-HFK in F was rebooked to SQ Suites via SIN and FRA... I would assume something similar....
If borders open in 2023, then a hotel and some meals I would assume
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
OJ returning to MAN appears to be available for about the same price
Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Also works from VIE...

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...gl=DE&curr=EUR

Old Jul 17, 2022, 3:57 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
£3000 for BA F doesn't sound like a bargain to me. I miss the days when you could do this sort of thing in BA J for £1200 pretty regularly.

Yeah F is slightly better and you get more miles/avios and status/tier points, but you could just do it twice in J instead. Once I managed to get the long-hauls in CX J for £1200, and another time QR J for £800.

I need to go to HK (well I've needed to go since 2020) but I won't until the quarantine gets reduced to max 3 days hotel + 4 days home... the problem is, firstly obviously no idea when that will happen so no point booking anything even if all the deals will die the moment they announce a relaxation.

Secondly with the latest covid variants being so contagious, there is a reasonable chance of getting it on the way to Vienna and back, since nobody cares in Europe any more (well some people wear masks in Berlin, but I doubt that really achieves much) so it has to be a direct flight until HK gets rid of tests and centralised isolation for positive cases.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 6:01 am
formerly JackDann

I looked at this and same as others have said, not worth the risk for HK. I managed to get £3000 in F on BA to SIN in January this year from BHD... Doubt i'll see anything like that again but I can always hope!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:12 pm
formerly JackDann

If I was to book this and BA do cancel it - is there any chance they'd re-route me to SIN?

I'm trying to get to Thailand in January and i've been looking at other prices for J for months and they are only going one way. I don't mind spending £3,000 to travel to HKG in F, but don't want to be left stuck if this route is cancelled (Which wouldn't surprise me).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JackDann
If I was to book this and BA do cancel it - is there any chance they'd re-route me to SIN?

I'm trying to get to Thailand in January and i've been looking at other prices for J for months and they are only going one way. I don't mind spending £3,000 to travel to HKG in F, but don't want to be left stuck if this route is cancelled (Which wouldn't surprise me).
The new destination would have to be within 300 miles unfortunately.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:44 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by Schwann
The new destination would have to be within 300 miles unfortunately.
Not always the case when no alternatives are available - when I was booked in F on BA to SIN and it got cancelled I was re-routed to HKT on QR. I don't want to seem like i'm answering my own question by the way, just be interested to hear if any others had similar experience.

Last edited by JD1905; Jul 20, 2022 at 8:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.