Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

*A: US Multiple Cities to JNB from $3331.

*A: US Multiple Cities to JNB from $3331.

Old Jun 14, 22, 6:21 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 87
*A: US Multiple Cities to JNB from $3331.

Business class. Multiple cities to/from Johannesburg. Via Europe using UA, LH, LX, and/or AC.

Saw BOS RTs from $3331. (SFO RTs from $3649).

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...wvypoz5Ju1sSK6

I booked SFO -> JNB -> BOS for $3582 in early December. Booked via United for PQPs and used United credits (even having no UA metal).
gsalem94122 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 9:04 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NRT / HND
Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Posts: 4,706
Is this a good deal at all? There are deals from JFK to SE Asia for $2000-$2500 quite regularly, similar BIS miles. Unless maybe you need to be in JNB or elsewhere in ZA... Sounds pretty standard in today's climate. If it were F, then yeah, very noteworthy. But in Biz.... not at all.
dvs7310 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 9:42 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
Is this a good deal at all? There are deals from JFK to SE Asia for $2000-$2500 quite regularly, similar BIS miles. Unless maybe you need to be in JNB or elsewhere in ZA... Sounds pretty standard in today's climate. If it were F, then yeah, very noteworthy. But in Biz.... not at all.
Yes, seems like standard discount. I flew LAX-JNB a few times this year for a bit less than $3k on *A P fares, and as far as I can tell there was no sale.
Quail is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 9:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,765
Yeah this is the standard US-JNB P fare. Often the hard part is finding P availability.
cheltzel likes this.
dkc192 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:31 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Posts: 2,620
Yep, nothing to see here.
tkelvin69 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:33 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,703
I've been watching fares between North American an JNB for a while. Fares to JNB were a bit cheaper as recently as 30 - 60 days ago (at or below 3300 USD). The most readily available *A discounted business fares I can find (at least out of ORD) are on LX. I personally would prefer other *A carriers (LH or TK) as they have shorter connections and not charge for the better business class seats. But these two carriers are often well over 3500 USD.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 10:39 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: HPN, SFO, HNL, or somewhere in between
Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Posts: 133
I'm seeing some dates for ~$2300 but much more limited with shorter stays and longer travel time:

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...ewL8ez7vQqV8n8

JALsnipe is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 2:20 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 87
Sorry.

Maybe these fares are common. But I'd been on the look out for this Summer (Summer in South Africa) and prices were consistent at over $4500. And well over $5000 to get 1 stop flights and no hideous connection times. I jumped on the fare when it was ~3500 and flights I actually wanted.

boggs and Quail like this.
gsalem94122 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:37 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: LAX
Programs: UA1k, rcc, BMI S, hh/mr/spg gold, Hertz 5*, National exec
Posts: 482
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
Sorry.

Maybe these fares are common. But I'd been on the look out for this Summer (Summer in South Africa) and prices were consistent at over $4500. And well over $5000 to get 1 stop flights and no hideous connection times. I jumped on the fare when it was ~3500 and flights I actually wanted.

Thanks for sharing!
In terms of pricing, what may have been normal 6 months ago, is no longer so with oil and travel spiking.
P.S. I did get SFO-DOH-JNB about 9 months ago for $2,600 for travel this past April but I feel those were different times...and a whole diff airline. Anyway, while it may not be a great price, this may be the best you can get for a while. I would lock in and cancel if you can find something better down the road.... if you can cancel of course.
gsalem94122 likes this.
boggs is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 5:55 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,703
Originally Posted by boggs View Post
Thanks for sharing!
In terms of pricing, what may have been normal 6 months ago, is no longer so with oil and travel spiking.
P.S. I did get SFO-DOH-JNB about 9 months ago for $2,600 for travel this past April but I feel those were different times...and a whole diff airline. Anyway, while it may not be a great price, this may be the best you can get for a while. I would lock in and cancel if you can find something better down the road.... if you can cancel of course.
With regards to travel between the US and South Africa I see three distinct sets of fares: Pre-Covid, the height of Covid and Recovery. You refer to the fares in the height of Covid. I was seeing similar fares on QR, TK, and VS. There was a time where I could buy a VS UC ticket from JFK to JNB for $2300. But then the airlines would sell you a ticket and then you would find out whether or not they were flying that route when it cam tine to travel.

IMO we are slowly getting back to normal (typical business fares > $4000 for JNB, maybe even higher). Luckily I still have a fair amount of AA and UA miles in the bank and can get either *A or QR award flights form ORD to JNB fairly easily. I am not looking forward to paying for these seats when my miles run out.
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 7:21 pm
  #11  
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 912
😴😴😴
this is not a deal. There has been wide open *A and skyteam US hubs-JNB/CPT for as low as $2K RT in J as long as you book a few months out.
Gertjaars is offline  
Old Jun 14, 22, 7:31 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,703
Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
😴😴😴
this is not a deal. There has been wide open *A and skyteam US hubs-JNB/CPT for as low as $2K RT in J as long as you book a few months out.
Can you post a couple of examples?
cheltzel is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 1:34 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Posts: 7,058
Originally Posted by Gertjaars View Post
😴😴😴
this is not a deal. There has been wide open *A and skyteam US hubs-JNB/CPT for as low as $2K RT in J as long as you book a few months out.
Could you please provide an example of ~$2,600 US-JNB/CPT on SkyTeam (presumably including VS)?
jimrpa is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 1:51 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1,150
There was this one , admittedly in February.
There was a similar *A deal about the same time. *That* was a deal - still kicking myself for not jumping on it.
tr3k is offline  
Old Jun 15, 22, 2:49 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ORD
Programs: AA, UA, GE
Posts: 4,703
Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
There was this one , admittedly in February.
There was a similar *A deal about the same time. *That* was a deal - still kicking myself for not jumping on it.
Have you seen anything to South Africa below $3000 since then? I've seen a couple, but all were not bookable.
cheltzel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread