Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/G3: JFK to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia from $1212

AA/G3: JFK to Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia from $1212

Old Mar 5, 22, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
To be honest, I forced the cities MIA GRU and then selected Premium Economy...
I suppose AA+ G3 could also work ...

Is there something I am doing wrong here? I put in premium economy as what to search for, and you can see the rest above. It is giving me the no flights found error and not even taking me to pricing options...may anyone please show me what they punched in, if they were successful with HNL or ANC? TYIA
Old Mar 5, 22, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Starbux Gold, Nexus
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post

Is there something I am doing wrong here? I put in premium economy as what to search for, and you can see the rest above. It is giving me the no flights found error and not even taking me to pricing options...may anyone please show me what they punched in, if they were successful with HNL or ANC? TYIA
I suggest adding DFW to your connecting airports since AA will start ANC-DFW nonstop around May 5th. Sometimes I use multi city on GF to get desired routing and fare price to destination then use the inbound flight as normal back to origin or to a different airport. Note that AA uses both 772 and 789 on DFW-GRU. Good luck.
Old Mar 5, 22, 10:11 am

I just searched on AA.com. Since I don’t have too much flexibility with dates, it wasn’t too difficult to just try each day one by one.

Remember you get 2 transfers each way, so you can do ANC-DFW-MIA-GRU or even ANC-DFW-JFK-GRU. Stopover is also possible for about $125 each.

For for your dates above (April), you probably have to add AS since AA only flies to ANC in the summer. Your routing would be ANC-SEA-DFW-GRU. Maybe try this?
Old Mar 5, 22, 11:51 am

Question: I see some itineraries book into C with AA. But on AS partner earning chart, C is an upgrade fare and doesn't have percentages attached to it, does anyone know what happens if you fly this fare and try to credit it to AS? Is this a newly aligned fare class that AS hasn't updated in their earning chart yet?
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

HNL

ANC

our_kid and Sandy Hopper like this.
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Also if going to VVI, make the hike to the Uyuni Salt Flats, you seem to need to go via La Paz (well worth it) FLY don't take the bus...
Here is a Trip Report I made back in 2015

Old Mar 5, 22, 2:24 pm

Also if going to VVI, make the hike to the Uyuni Salt Flats, you seem to need to go via La Paz (well worth it) FLY don't take the bus...
Here is a Trip Report I made back in 2015
Oh come on, the night bus is fun! It comes with a hot meal and a cup of red wine, just as luxurious as AA domestic first! /s
Old Mar 5, 22, 2:38 pm

you will get to Uyuni dead if you fly, if you get into VVI it might be better to take the bus instead, but that is a LONG trek.
Old Mar 5, 22, 7:17 pm

To be honest, I forced the cities MIA GRU and then selected Premium Economy...
I suppose AA+ G3 could also work ...
Originally Posted by JetSetDave View Post
I suggest adding DFW to your connecting airports since AA will start ANC-DFW nonstop around May 5th. Sometimes I use multi city on GF to get desired routing and fare price to destination then use the inbound flight as normal back to origin or to a different airport. Note that AA uses both 772 and 789 on DFW-GRU. Good luck.
Thank you for the replies! I was able to piece together multiple itineraries - my problem was searching before the nonstop service from DFW! D'oh!

However, I can't click through from Matrix to anywhere. I can get from Google Flights to aa.com. However, every itinerary I've tried booking there returns this message:

The price it quotes me for all four on the final payment page is $5,700.68. Then it gives me this message after it spins. Anyone know how to get around this? I don't want to call and am wondering how else to book. THANK YOU!
Old Mar 5, 22, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Check this out

https://bookwithmatrix.com/

You can use the web link above.
I look at the itinerary and could not find a good reason to visit Bolivia.
Old Mar 6, 22, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
https://bookwithmatrix.com/

You can use the web link above.
I look at the itinerary and could not find a good reason to visit Bolivia.
Thank you! I had tried BWM prior to posting here. It linked to OneTravel and Priceline, but neither populated. I was also trying PowerTools via ITA to load it directly to AA.com.

Thank you for the replies! I was able to piece together multiple itineraries - my problem was searching before the nonstop service from DFW! D'oh!

However, I can't click through from Matrix to anywhere. I can get from Google Flights to aa.com. However, every itinerary I've tried booking there returns this message:

The price it quotes me for all four on the final payment page is $5,700.68. Then it gives me this message after it spins. Anyone know how to get around this? I don't want to call and am wondering how else to book. THANK YOU!
Just wanted to follow up and say I was able to get it booked - as an open jaw! So leaving from ANC and back into HNL. Letís hope AA brings Flagship service back to ANC-DFW?

The key was - after finding the flights I wanted - searching for them as married segments from ANC to VVI, and vv, instead of separating segments out. When I did so, the initial booking I wanted that skipped MIA and went ANC/DFW/GRU was available, but >$200 per ticket more!

So I added the connection in Miami in each direction and it confirmed and has now ticketed (R class all the way except for L class on GOL)

Does anyone know a cheap way to fly intra-South America? Is it like Africa where people on the continent can get much cheaper tickets than buying online from another country?

I am looking to go either VVI-GRU or similar. I also have some miles and am wondering if DL miles on Latam could get me there. Any other thoughts/suggestions much appreciated! (If there is an eligible change to the itinerary, would AA ever consider popping GRU-VVI-GRU off?)

thanks all!
Old Mar 6, 22, 6:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Thank you! I had tried BWM prior to posting here. It linked to OneTravel and Priceline, but neither populated. I was also trying PowerTools via ITA to load it directly to AA.com.

Just wanted to follow up and say I was able to get it booked - as an open jaw! So leaving from ANC and back into HNL. Letís hope AA brings Flagship service back to ANC-DFW?

The key was - after finding the flights I wanted - searching for them as married segments from ANC to VVI, and vv, instead of separating segments out. When I did so, the initial booking I wanted that skipped MIA and went ANC/DFW/GRU was available, but >$200 per ticket more!

So I added the connection in Miami in each direction and it confirmed and has now ticketed (R class all the way except for L class on GOL)

Does anyone know a cheap way to fly intra-South America? Is it like Africa where people on the continent can get much cheaper tickets than buying online from another country?

I am looking to go either VVI-GRU or similar. I also have some miles and am wondering if DL miles on Latam could get me there. Any other thoughts/suggestions much appreciated! (If there is an eligible change to the itinerary, would AA ever consider popping GRU-VVI-GRU off?)

thanks all!
You can use AA miles for GOL but DL/LATAM miles are not useful for Bolivia at the moment. Also be aware of the $160 Visa you will need for Bolivia.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 22, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
You can use AA miles for GOL but DL/LATAM miles are not useful for Bolivia at the moment. Also be aware of the $160 Visa you will need for Bolivia.
Thank you for this info! Does anyone know what type of visas Bolivia issues for tourists?

I am wondering if it is single entry or multiple entry - I.e. would I have to pay multiple times to enter and leave Bolivia in less than 30 days? Thank you!
Old Mar 6, 22, 10:35 am

I did a bit more digging into this one yesterday and thereís something fairly unique about VVI right now. I was thinking maybe this is a fare sale that might apply to other AA fares that include a tag-on of a G3 flight. But I can find no indication that is the case.

However, base fares in the reverse direction are roughly the same. United also has similar base fares, again both originating in US as well as from the VVI. By the way, both carriers also have fares filed as a OW (either departing the US for departing the VVI). For AA, the one way fair can be in the $600 range, so definitely something to consider for flexibility, and then using miles or an ex-south america fare to get back. I mentioned United, although roughly the same base fares as American, they price out higher. If you look at a fare breakdown in ITA matrix you can see why.
tobikosan and Sandy Hopper like this.
Old Mar 6, 22, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Starbux Gold, Nexus
Thank you for this info! Does anyone know what type of visas Bolivia issues for tourists?

I am wondering if it is single entry or multiple entry - I.e. would I have to pay multiple times to enter and leave Bolivia in less than 30 days? Thank you!
Tourist visas for Bolivia are valid for 30 days from the date of entry. For US citizens only, this visa can be used for up to three trips per year within a 10-year period, up to a maximum of 90 days per year.

This was handy when I took the overland trip from San Pedro Atacama, Chile to Uynui, Bolivia, made the land border crossing easy since I acquired the visa on a previous trip to La Paz. This Andes and Altiplano trek ranks among one of the best adventures ever.

Booked this last night, managed to get sub $1200 from EUG. Looking forward to visiting Santa Cruz, Sucre and Potosi.Thanks OP!
jfkeze, tobikosan and btonkid12345 like this.

Search this Thread