Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance/Skyteam: Houston - Dubai $1675 rt biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance/Skyteam: Houston - Dubai $1675 rt biz

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
Doing this exact routing next month and would also be interested in which airline required this and what forms of insurance were accepted? While most US policies don’t offer in-network coverage outside the US, don’t they offer it as out of network coverage (which just means higher deductibles)?
It depends. In the US not all plans even offer out of network coverage. HMOs (generally the cheapest and most frequent option) have no out of network coverage, even in US. Even PPOs (these have out of network coverage) may not provide coverage outside of the US.
Old May 9, 2022, 9:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Anyone flown AF IAH-DXB this month? Trying to get a feel for whether they’re requiring travel insurance at check in?
Old May 12, 2022, 7:20 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Anyone flown AF IAH-DXB this month? Trying to get a feel for whether they’re requiring travel insurance at check in?
We traveled SFO-CDG-DXB roundtrip about 6 months ago, and no one asked for proof of health insurance or proof of the (at the time) supposedly required tracking app at any point during our journey. We've traveled to more than 50 countries and flown several million miles, and we have NEVER been asked for health insurance documentation. Bottom line is that I wouldn't be concerned about it at all.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:00 am

Not AF but I'm sure you've read the anecdotal evidence from UA and maybe some other airlines. I did fly AC ex-IAH a few weeks ago and they did check that I had health insurance (not COVID specific!) as required by Timatic as well as that I had the DXB Smart App installed.

If you don't want to buy health insurance, just do some research for options to quickly purchase a policy online if they demand it at check in?
Old May 12, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Just an anecdotal point here - flew NRT - DXB - SFO and was never asked about covid insurance. Was also not tested for Covid upon entry to Dubai, as they have done away with the random testing. I will say that I am happy I got the Rapid PCR instead of the antigen as I saw some pax at the F check in counter in Dubai for EK getting hassled about antigen vs rapid PCR.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Rumples
Just an anecdotal point here - flew NRT - DXB - SFO and was never asked about covid insurance. Was also not tested for Covid upon entry to Dubai, as they have done away with the random testing. I will say that I am happy I got the Rapid PCR instead of the antigen as I saw some pax at the F check in counter in Dubai for EK getting hassled about antigen vs rapid PCR.
Went the long way around!
Rumples likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by Antarius
Went the long way around!
HA! Sure did! Had a meeting in Dubai that I needed to be at, but also have been wanting to knock some bucket list items out in terms of hard products.

Got LAX - NRT on ANA’s new F Suites, and then both F products from EK on the 380 and the 77W, so I can’t complain
Antarius and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 1:09 pm

I flew BUR-SLC-CDG-DXB on DL/AF and back last month, nobody ever mentioned insurance.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Anybody traveled IAH-CDG-DXB recently on AF wanted to share some info about Flight experience and arrival and departure in CDG info and Lounges in CDG and any arrival lounges in DXB ? I have 5 hours layover in CDG
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Anybody traveled IAH-CDG-DXB recently on AF wanted to share some info about Flight experience and arrival and departure in CDG info and Lounges in CDG and any arrival lounges in DXB ? I have 5 hours layover in CDG
Are you in business class? If so the AF lounges in CDG are a pretty nice place to spend 5 hours. I definitely took advantage of their showers.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:35 pm

I flew AF to DXB in April and a few months earlier in December to BKK - on both occasions I could try their lounges in the non-Schengen part (Terminal 2E) as well as in the Schengen part (Terminal 2F) - and I loved them both (especially the latter as it is brand new). For further info you can have a look here: https://wwws.airfrance.us/information/prepare/salons

For me in-flight experience was great (and similarly on all of my recent AF & KL flights - I must admit I have found new love for AF, after some not so positive experiences in the not so distant past). On arrival you would be out pretty quickly (if you travel First, Business or Premium Economy), the bridge attaches to 2L and everyone disembarks from there. Given the nature of your transfer you will not have to clear immigration (though for me that was a breeze through the e-gates) and security has dedicated lines for Sky Priority / Business Class passengers. Departure was though a complete and utter mess - there was a total chaos with documentation checks (at the time I travelled you still had to show proof of vaccination and negative test) and it seemed everyone was a priority passenger ... My advice in such cases is board at the end after all the crowd is already on the plane (this is what I personally do), you will anyway be spending the next 6 hours in your seat, moving around will do your legs good.

In DXB the SkyTeam lounge is for departing passengers only, after security, I am not aware of any facility for arriving passengers (beware AF operates into Terminal 1).
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by apjules
Are you in business class? If so the AF lounges in CDG are a pretty nice place to spend 5 hours. I definitely took advantage of their showers.
Yes in Business.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelA380
I flew AF to DXB in April and a few months earlier in December to BKK - on both occasions I could try their lounges in the non-Schengen part (Terminal 2E) as well as in the Schengen part (Terminal 2F) - and I loved them both (especially the latter as it is brand new). For further info you can have a look here: https://wwws.airfrance.us/information/prepare/salons

For me in-flight experience was great (and similarly on all of my recent AF & KL flights - I must admit I have found new love for AF, after some not so positive experiences in the not so distant past). On arrival you would be out pretty quickly (if you travel First, Business or Premium Economy), the bridge attaches to 2L and everyone disembarks from there. Given the nature of your transfer you will not have to clear immigration (though for me that was a breeze through the e-gates) and security has dedicated lines for Sky Priority / Business Class passengers. Departure was though a complete and utter mess - there was a total chaos with documentation checks (at the time I travelled you still had to show proof of vaccination and negative test) and it seemed everyone was a priority passenger ... My advice in such cases is board at the end after all the crowd is already on the plane (this is what I personally do), you will anyway be spending the next 6 hours in your seat, moving around will do your legs good.

In DXB the SkyTeam lounge is for departing passengers only, after security, I am not aware of any facility for arriving passengers (beware AF operates into Terminal 1).
Thanks for sharing the information. What is non-Schengen part and Schengen part ? Do we need to go thru security check to go between the terminals ? I don't have Schengen Visa if its required go to between terminals. I will just transiting thru IAH-CDG-DXB with 5 hour layover in CDG.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 5:48 am

(info on Schengen Area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area)

As long as you remain in international transit (i.e. do not enter France), you do not need a Schengen visa (unlike USA, TOV = Transit Without Visa is possible without any issues) - you will not have to clear immigration, however you will have to re-clear security (in reality, you will not have to change terminals, it is one and the same terminal, just different zones, but beware the distance between some parts is material).
rajhyd99 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Definitely do not underestimate the distance between some terminal sections at CDG. Some even require a lengthy walk, train and if really unlucky a bus. Check out the Easy CDG website for terminal maps and transit help.
rajhyd99 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.