Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Old Oct 24, 22, 8:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
I've been considering driving down from LA since my last SkyTeam work trip overseas was just cancelled and now I have to scramble to get my MQDs together for next year.

I've read confusing things in the past about connecting through MEX (and not sure if it was just COVID adaptations that don't apply anymore) that despite flying from TIJ and being a domestic flight, there were delays in having to pass through the customs area. Its made me concerned about what the current minimum connection time required for MEX might be. I think I like the idea of flying to a city where I can just do a easy turn around without leaving the airport and come back. Ideally I won't overnight anyhow so I can just pack light and bring a ipad loaded with downloaded shows. Right now I have about $3000 MQDs to get for the rest of the year.
Old Oct 25, 22, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by curlingfan View Post
Thanks @jfkeze for posting the MR and advice on how to make sure the Delta SkyMiles is shown on AM BP. Also, thanks @infusegm for the tip on CBX - it was helpful and reassuring before my trip.

Finished MR - did a mileage run as well as a mattress run (Hilton). Spent time in MX City (including a day trip to Teotihuacan), Puebla (and Cholula) and Guadalajara. Spent Cinco de Mayo in Puebla, got to try Pulque (like beer but better) and mezcal in addition to Tequila. The trip was very good!

The miles didn't post so requested it through delta's website. No response so called and spoke with an agent. Asked to submit BPs and Receipt (although they were submitted online). E-mailed the requested info and the Skymiles posted within a day.

CBX experience was good, especially because of my Nexus/Global Entry. Otherwise, there was a long line (at least a few hours) for crossing the border on a Friday early morning (around 1am). Stayed inside CBX till 8 am and then took a shuttle to SAN for my return flight home.

The SJD transit time can be an issue if your flight is delayed. My flight left MEX late and arrived in SJD 15 minutes late. I had to go through arrivals, walk outside the building to get back into departure area, and go through security to get back in. It was fine for me since I was one of the first one off the plane and the departure area wasn't too busy. If you have to change flights in MEX, you tell them you have a transfer and they show you the way to get back in the departure area without going through security.

Good luck to those doing this in the future!
jfkeze likes this.
Old Oct 25, 22, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by curlingfan View Post
Thanks @jfkeze for posting the MR and advice on how to make sure the Delta SkyMiles is shown on AM BP. Also, thanks @infusegm for the tip on CBX - it was helpful and reassuring before my trip.

Finished MR - did a mileage run as well as a mattress run (Hilton). Spent time in MX City (including a day trip to Teotihuacan), Puebla (and Cholula) and Guadalajara. Spent Cinco de Mayo in Puebla, got to try Pulque (like beer but better) and mezcal in addition to Tequila. The trip was very good!

The miles didn't post so requested it through delta's website. No response so called and spoke with an agent. Asked to submit BPs and Receipt (although they were submitted online). E-mailed the requested info and the Skymiles posted within a day.

CBX experience was good, especially because of my Nexus/Global Entry. Otherwise, there was a long line (at least a few hours) for crossing the border on a Friday early morning (around 1am). Stayed inside CBX till 8 am and then took a shuttle to SAN for my return flight home.

The SJD transit time can be an issue if your flight is delayed. My flight left MEX late and arrived in SJD 15 minutes late. I had to go through arrivals, walk outside the building to get back into departure area, and go through security to get back in. It was fine for me since I was one of the first one off the plane and the departure area wasn't too busy. If you have to change flights in MEX, you tell them you have a transfer and they show you the way to get back in the departure area without going through security.

Good luck to those doing this in the future!

Thanks so much. Other than the drive to TIJ, it seems pretty seamless. I now realize that the TIJ to Cancun flight doesn't give me enough MQDs. So my search continues.

How was the parking lot.? Was it secure? Would you feel comfortable leaving a luxury car parked there?
Old Oct 25, 22, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Silver, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Traciely View Post
Thanks so much. Other than the drive to TIJ, it seems pretty seamless. I now realize that the TIJ to Cancun flight doesn't give me enough MQDs. So my search continues.

How was the parking lot.? Was it secure? Would you feel comfortable leaving a luxury car parked there?
Unfortunately I flew into SJD from Canada. Then made my way to TIJ. And I took the shuttle from TIJ to SAN so can't comment on the parking situation. This MR is a lot easier than what many may think. Good luck if you decide to do this!
Old Oct 26, 22, 1:29 am

Parking lot was a breeze. Not sure what your luxury car is, but I'd suggest parking in the premium lot that is closest to the CBX building and has lighting. They have some gravel lots, but there aren't lights out there.
Traciely likes this.
Old Oct 26, 22, 8:16 am

Check the posts here. I haven't been in a few years, but it appears that nothing has changed for the better since then. The last time I went, there was no parking available and absolutely no one to ask for assistance. I ended up following a few other cars wandering around and we parked in some very rough desert, with no lights, no roads, and very large bushes everywhere to scratch the paint. I was able to park for free, but I would not want to repeat that harrowing experience. The general consensus seems to be that it is much better to just catch a ride to/from CBX from across town, especially considering the extortionate rates they are charging for parking right now. If coming from LA, hopefully AMTRAK will be running again by the end of the year to provide easy access to SD.
Traciely likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
TIJ-CUN down to $290 on OTAs, would earn 6684 MQMs 1782 MQDs 6.14 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 14259 RDMs, Platinum 12477 RDMs, Gold 11586 RDMs, Silver 10694 RDMs, Base 8912 RDMs
Sample using a mini-vacation

Book Flights Here!
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
TIJ-CUN down to $290 on OTAs, would earn 6684 MQMs 1782 MQDs 6.14 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 14259 RDMs, Platinum 12477 RDMs, Gold 11586 RDMs, Silver 10694 RDMs, Base 8912 RDMs
Sample using a mini-vacation

Book Flights Here!
Have you seen any decent AM deals ex-lax?I seem to recall you finding some on a regular basis in the past. Ive been watching but havent seen much. I know theres another thread for LAX - Mexico flights, but I think a fair number of folks interested in these MQD runs are LA based and theres no real easy way to position to TIJ. It a 2.5 hr drive that can be 4+ if you are unlucky. Any pointers or ideas are much appreciated, at least by me!
Traciely likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by El Boocho View Post
Have you seen any decent AM deals ex-lax?I seem to recall you finding some on a regular basis in the past. Ive been watching but havent seen much. I know theres another thread for LAX - Mexico flights, but I think a fair number of folks interested in these MQD runs are LA based and theres no real easy way to position to TIJ. It a 2.5 hr drive that can be 4+ if you are unlucky. Any pointers or ideas are much appreciated, at least by me!
Try these, one is a big MQD run while the other is a smaller trip ..
LAX-SCL either for a day or vacation, available a few days in December and then 2023.... As low as $1902 on OTAs for 16911 MQMs 4510 MQDs 2.37 MQD Ratio
Google Flights

LAX-GUA for $688 (OTA Price) for 7389 MQMs 1970 MQDs 2.86 MQD Ratio (if 500 mile mins apply)
Google Flights
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Nov 8, 22, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Try these, one is a big MQD run while the other is a smaller trip ..
LAX-SCL either for a day or vacation, available a few days in December and then 2023.... As low as $1902 on OTAs for 16911 MQMs 4510 MQDs 2.37 MQD Ratio
Google Flights

LAX-GUA for $688 (OTA Price) for 7389 MQMs 1970 MQDs 2.86 MQD Ratio (if 500 mile mins apply)
Google Flights
thanks for the ideas. The SCL run is interesting, but a little rich for me without turning it into a vacation. Ill have to think about that one for 2023. I did see the Guatemala City route. Its a trade-off sit in the car for a few hours each way or take the extra flight for a few hours. Given this is FT I think I know the consensus opinion. Lol
jfkeze and DeltaGoldLass like this.
Old Nov 18, 22, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
I am planning for some TIJ-SJD MR in Dec (if possible). What should the cabin when selecting the flight on Aero Mexico ? This should be AM+Plus and Premier Light to get correct MQM and MQD MR run value ? I am mostly looking for MQM. What is the Cancellation policy on Aero Mexico ? Will we get the Airline Credit if cancelled in advance?
Old Nov 19, 22, 10:05 am

Programs: DM-2MM, Marriott Titanium, VFW-Life, Kroger Card

I just completed my CBX-TIJ-SJD MQD run. I parked at CBX in my luxury car at 0300 and no problems or concerns. There were 2 security vehicles driving the area. I prefer to go TIJ so that Im not in the immigration line in MEX. At 0530 the line was 90 minutes and 30 minutes on my transit thru MEX.

Search this Thread