Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
I am planning to do this MR TIJ-SJD in Aug first or second week. Few questions for the folks based on recent experience. I am planning to 2 back to back MR.

TIJ - What is the process at this airport. Will it be like Domestic in US. Just get back on plane without going to Security or we have exit security and come back at Departures?
Same Question for SJD Airport?

How are the lounges at SJD as I will have 4-6 hours based on above SJD transfer question?
Are they any Sleep lounge/Suites available in MEX airport ? I am assuming at MEX it will be Transit/transfer flight to SJD and doesn't require security correct ?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
I am planning to do this MR TIJ-SJD... I am planning to 2 back to back MR.

1. TIJ - What is the process at this airport. Will it be like Domestic in US. Just get back on plane without going to Security or we have exit security and come back at Departures?
Same Question for SJD Airport?

2. How are the lounges at SJD as I will have 4-6 hours based on above SJD transfer question?
3. Are they any Sleep lounge/Suites available in MEX airport ? I am assuming at MEX it will be Transit/transfer flight to SJD and doesn't require security correct?
Answers:
The post made no sense until I realized that OP is doing back-to-back mileage runs and not leaving the airport at either TIJ or SJD.
1. First, my CBX advice:

Pre-reserve your parking space at CBX. That way you can be closer and park on asphalt instead of far away and on gravel. The lots cost $20 and up. Any portion of a day counts as an entire day. On return, do not wad up or smear your parking ticket because it has to be readable by a fussy scanner at inside the main CDX building near Starbucks. You cannot pay at the outer lots; you have to get a "paid" receipt from the kiosk

Pay your CBX toll when you get there; there is no real advantage to buying it ahead of time. Pay a roundtrip toll only if you are sure you won't lose or mess-up the scan code while on your mileage run.

Technically, you need an FMM (Mexican tourist card) to enter by a land crossing such as CBX. You can do it on-line, or at the Mexico immigration counter on the Mexico side of the bridge. If your stay exceeds 7 days, there is a fee (credit card only). Passport (or the Mexico ID card, if applic) is also required

At the CBX entry gates at both USA and TIJ ends, the gates scan one's TIJ boarding pass (QR or bar code) and the QR code on the CBX toll ticket. Don't lose boarding passes! You need them as back-up to claim miles, and the one for the last flight into TIJ is needed to cross CBX back to USA. If you have the Global Entry plastic card with your picture, that will cut a considerable time off of your entry back into the USA.

When you arrive back at TIJ for your second trip, ask the gate agent to print your boarding pass. If you have to exit the airport to find a check-in agent, that would be no big deal. However, on your last run back to TIJ, DO NOT EXIT the TIJ airport. If you do, you won't be allowed to get back airside to cross CBX back to the USA. On your last arrival into TIJ, enter baggage claim, go right all the way to the back of hall (not the exit to arrivals). Just follow the CBX signs. It is OK to exit to arrivals and check-in on the first trip because you'll be getting a boarding pass, which allows you back into airside.

2. There is the VIP lounge at TIJ, which takes Priority Pass. It's OK, but rather basic. There is also Priority Pass lounge in terminal 1 at SJD airport. I did not go inside. AeroMexico uses terminal 1 at SJD and Terminal 2 at MEX (excepting regional jet flights, which do not apply to TIJ-MEX or SJD-MEX.)

Terminal 1 at SJD airport is small. On arrival, you enter baggage claim and exit the airport. The gates are not staffed until about 40 minutes before departures, so you'd have visit the check-in counter to get your boarding passes for your return to TIJ anyway. The Priority Pass lounge is upstairs near the gates.

3. You do not exit the MEX airport because you will be arriving there with your on-going boarding pass. You get both passes at the departure airport -- TIJ or SJD. When you step off the flight arriving into MEX, just follow the "Connecion" signs. I have no idea if paid sleep space exist at MEX. Certainly, it does not at the crowded AeroMexico lounge there.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 15, 2022 at 2:10 pm Reason: AM lounge at Mexico City airport is at Terminal 2.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Answers:
The post made no sense until I realized that OP is doing back-to-back mileage runs and not leaving the airport at either TIJ or SJD.
1. First, my CBX advice:

Pre-reserve your parking space at CBX. That way you can be closer and park on asphalt instead of far away and on gravel. The lots cost $20 and up. Any portion of a day counts as an entire day. On return, do not wad up or smear your parking ticket because it has to be readable by a fussy scanner at inside the main CDX building near Starbucks. You cannot pay at the outer lots; you have to get a "paid" receipt from the kiosk

Pay your CBX toll when you get there; there is no real advantage to buying it ahead of time. Pay a roundtrip toll only if you are sure you won't lose or mess-up the scan code while on your mileage run.

Technically, you need an FMM (Mexican tourist card) to enter by a land crossing such as CBX. You can do it on-line, or at the Mexico immigration counter on the Mexico side of the bridge. If your stay exceeds 7 days, there is a fee (credit card only). Passport (or the Mexico ID card, if applic) is also required

At the CBX entry gates at both USA and TIJ ends, the gates scan one's TIJ boarding pass (QR or bar code) and the QR code on the CBX toll ticket. Don't lose boarding passes! You need them as back-up to claim miles, and the one for the last flight into TIJ is needed to cross CBX back to USA. If you have the Global Entry plastic card with your picture, that will cut a considerable time off of your entry back into the USA.

When you arrive back at TIJ for your second trip, ask the gate agent to print your boarding pass. If you have to exit the airport to find a check-in agent, that would be no big deal. However, on your last run back to TIJ, DO NOT EXIT the TIJ airport. If you do, you won't be allowed to get back airside to cross CBX back to the USA. On your last arrival into TIJ, enter baggage claim, go right all the way to the back of hall (not the exit to arrivals). Just follow the CBX signs. It is OK to exit to arrivals and check-in on the first trip because you'll be getting a boarding pass, which allows you back into airside.

2. There is the VIP lounge at TIJ, which takes Priority Pass. It's OK, but rather basic. There is also Priority Pass lounge in terminal 1 at SJD airport. I did not go inside. AeroMexico uses terminal 1 at SJD and Terminal 2 at MEX (excepting regional jet flights, which do not apply to TIJ-MEX or SJD-MEX.)

Terminal 1 at SJD airport is small. On arrival, you enter baggage claim and exit the airport. The gates are not staffed until about 40 minutes before departures, so you'd have visit the check-in counter to get your boarding passes for your return to TIJ anyway. The Priority Pass lounge is upstairs near the gates.

3. You do not exit the MEX airport because you will be arriving there with your on-going boarding pass. You get both passes at the departure airport -- TIJ or SJD. When you step off the flight arriving into MEX, just follow the "Connecion" signs. I have no idea if paid sleep space exist at MEX. Certainly, it does not at the crowded AeroMexico lounge there.
Thanks @Bowgie for the information. Following question. How much time is required for SJD airport If I am doing the same day return (not planning to Stay at SJD) and Also much time is required at TIJ if need to turn around for 2nd trip. Is 1-2 hours ok or need more then that ?
And also I will reposition to San Diego airport and will be Bus services between San Diego and TIJ bus services. And What is FMM ? I don't have US passport but I am allowed to enter Mexico/Canada using my passport and US Entry GC Card. Do I need to apply online before my trip.

If back to back is not possible then I need to work/look for Hotels and long layover flights at SJD and TIJ airport for 2 trips.
And also how is AM honoring the stand by for Early Flights ? I am DL Platinum present.

Last edited by rajhyd99; Jul 15, 2022 at 6:03 pm Reason: Standby Flight
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:50 pm

Thanks @Bowgie for the information. Following question. How much time is required for SJD airport If I am doing the same day return (not planning to Stay at SJD) and Also much time is required at TIJ if need to turn around for 2nd trip. Is 1-2 hours ok or need more then that ?
And also I will reposition to San Diego airport and will be Bus services between San Diego and TIJ bus services. And What is FMM ? I don't have US passport but I am allowed to enter Mexico/Canada using my passport and US Entry GC Card. Do I need to apply online before my trip.

If back to back is not possible then I need to work/look for Hotels and long layover flights at SJD and TIJ airport for 2 trips.
And also how is AM honoring the stand by for Early Flights ? I am DL Platinum present.
1. Like USA airlines, AeroMexico starts the boarding process 30 to 40 min before scheduled departure, and may close the door 10-15 min before scheduled departure. SJD terminal 1 is small, so the walking distances are short. Traveling in Clase Premier, you can go right up to the ticket counter to get you boarding pass (if necessary). AeroMexico allows check-in by cell phone if you give them your e-mail address at booking. You can literally check-in and download your boarding pass right in the terminal as a last resort. TIJ, MEX, and SJD all have free airport wifi. One hour is enough for an exit-and-re-enter turnaround. This assumes inbound and outbound are the same airplane, which is likely. You can use FlightAware or a similar tool to check. The only thing that can mess you up at SJD is your inbound plane arrives late, and outbound is flown on a different aircraft departing on time.

2. The same advice applies to TIJ except for two things: 1. Your enter-and-re-enter time is going to be a little longer because the airport is bigger and much busier. 2. You do not have to exit TIJ to reach the boarding gates. If you can't download the boarding pass airside, an agent should be able to print your boarding pass. You might have to explain you just arrived on a different flight. That is the only way one can get airside at TIJ without an outbound boarding pass.

3. Yes, there is a minivan service from CBX to San Diego Airport. It is not frequent, and you'll need to google or research it for specifics.

4. FMM is the Mexico entry card, which Mexico immigration requires, but in the past agents often just waived short-time tourists through, Do not pay the fee with it because the fee is not required for short stays. You can google the link to complete and download it from Mexico immigration. Otherwise, you can complete the form at the immigration counter.

5. You need "a" passport (or an ID as a Mexican national) to enter Mexico. It doesn't necessarily have to be an American passport. "Most" passports are OK, but you should do your own internet search for Mexico entry requirement for your specific document type and country. BIG FAT WARNING HERE: Your potential problem is not getting into Mexico, it is getting back into the USA if you don't have a US Passport. Make sure your documents are OK for entry back into the US. I have no knowledge of US rules, and you should do your own research if not sure. Maybe I'm being a nervous Nelly, but I had no idea it is possible for a non-US passport holder to have Global Entry. If so, good for you!

6. You can standby for an earlier flight on AeroMexico just by virtue of flying in Clase Premium. However, if you do that, you will not earn any Delta Skymiles or MQD's for that segment because AM will re-code it to Y, which is ineligible for ff earnings on Delta.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 19, 2022 at 11:59 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:39 am

Thanks Bowgie this is real very helpful information about this MR. I have applied for Global Entry and still waiting for approvals.

Last Question : What is CBX ticket and Damaris Express ? Are they both the same shuttle services from SAN to TIJ or we need to have both them as CBX doesn't show me the shuttle times and Damaris express shows the timing. I am confused on this. Does Damaris shuttle services include the CBX ticket?

Last edited by rajhyd99; Jul 16, 2022 at 10:58 am
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:53 pm

What is CBX ticket and Damaris Express? Are they both the same shuttle services from SAN to TIJ or we need to have both them as CBX doesn't show me the shuttle times and Damaris express shows the timing. I am confused on this. Does Damaris shuttle services include the CBX ticket?
A CBX ticket is just your ticket to cross the bridge to or from TIJ airport. You buy it from the CDX counter on either side of the bridge crossing gates.

Damaris Express is the van (or bus) shuttle service that take you from CDX to San Diego Airport or the train station. They are completely separate from CBX. They have a staffed counter inside CBX terminal on the American side where they can sell you ticket, and tell you when & where their van departs.

(FYI for others, Damaris goes to lots of other places, too. Think workers needing to get back to jobs on the USA side.)

Uber and Lyft can also take you into San Diego --- with a big fat *IF* a driver is willing to go way out his way to CDX to pick you up. Easily might not happen.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: DL DM
MEX overnight

Hey All - thinking about making one of these back to back MRs that would require overnight stays in TIJ and MEX to catch the morning flight. Any tips, do's, dont's as to lounging in either of those airports overnight? Thanks All!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Nupey10
Hey All - thinking about making one of these back to back MRs that would require overnight stays in TIJ and MEX to catch the morning flight. Any tips, do's, dont's as to lounging in either of those airports overnight? Thanks All!
I have been trying to schedule the same (I will be reposition to TIJ/SAN) I was thinking of staying at SJD ( hoping I can go around beaches on day break) but prices are not working on well so far.
Still looking around in end of Aug or Sep so I can keep this MR value otherwise reposition cost + hotel stay + flights to match back to back run are not getting the value for this MR anymore.
Nupey10 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Just an FYI... Cancun well into 2023 is available under 300, with MEX-CUN on the 787s (would not anticipate all scheduled planes to remain the same)
TIJ-CUN would earn 6684 MQMs 1782 MQDs 5.96 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 14259 RDMs, Platinum 12477 RDMs, Gold 11586 RDMs, Silver 10694 RDMs, Base 8912 RDMs

Google Flights

Old Jul 23, 2022, 11:54 am

jfkeze Not sure if its me can't find Business fare class or Aero Mexico doesn't show Business on their site and when I try go from Google flights rates are showing higher then what Google flights is showing.
So what should be fare class on Aero Mexico site directly. Should it be AM plus or Premier to we get Business mileage for crediting to Delta. BTW I am looking at TIJ-SJD in Aug End and Sep which are around 329-350.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:14 am

jfkeze Not sure if its me can't find Business fare class or Aero Mexico doesn't show Business on their site and when I try go from Google flights rates are showing higher then what Google flights is showing.
So what should be fare class on Aero Mexico site directly. Should it be AM plus or Premier to get Business mileage for crediting to Delta. BTW I am looking at TIJ-SJD in Aug End and Sep which are around 329-350.
1. You want "Clase Premier". It's called by the same name whether it is what we would call "domestic first class" like on a 737 or "business class" with lie flat seats on their 787 on routes like Mexico City to Santiago, Chile. For Delta Skymiles earnings, the important thing is that the flight be ticketed as an "I" fare, which AM has done on all my premium class trips whether domestic Mexico or to Chile.

2. The fare you see on Google Flights should be very close to what is bookable directly on AeroMexico. If it is not, it is possible that the fare has changed or sold out in the minutes since you last checked Google Flights, or Google Flights is showing you a price on a shady third-party booker. Book direct on AeroMexico. It is not hard once you get used to their lame website. $350 is about right for TIJ-Cabo in Clase Premier this summer. jfkeze says it's cheaper going into September.

3. Always always keep your boarding passes to follow-up with Delta when your miles do not post after a month. Sadly, it has been two weeks since my last trip and still no Skymiles. Delta is a pita about crediting SkyMiles. Earning Delta status by flying AeroMexico is not a simple matter.

4.I'm pretty disillusioned about the status chase with Delta. Instead of messing around with AeroMexico, I am inclined to buy an AirFrance ticket for about $2700 in business class to Istanbul for a one-and-done and hell-no-I-ain't-doing this status "stuff" again. I'm getting in my motherly-warning mode because I'm seeing questions that make me think new readers might be over their heads. (Seriously, too, don't fly to Istanbul as an inexperienced traveler. I've been to Turkey lots of times and love the country, but don't go as a newby.)
rajhyd99 likes this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 25, 2022 at 1:47 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles, SPG
Hey Bowgie , what do you know about the Premier Light on Aeromexico. I'm thinking about trying this because my work tickets (government tickets) are all bought through Delta directly and lower priced which has been hurting my MQDs despite multiple cross Atlantic flights. Since I'm in LA a good bit of the year I'm considering maybe trying to go down to San Diego, visit a friend and then maybe do some same day mileage runs from TIJ to maybe CUN. When I tried one out for August I'm seeing like $320 for that but one leg is showing as Premier Light. Would that still likely be an I class ticket? I wish there was a way to view the class code vs name on Aeromexico's page.

Last edited by esquimau; Jul 25, 2022 at 10:56 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Most of these fares are at their core Y-Up fares
I Booking Class but Aeromexico (AM) NNNH0QOM TIJ to CUN

So that's why you need to keep all boarding passes as AM doesn't play nice with DL or even other partners... The only issue is with a few planes that are all Y, I believe they still sell Business but as a blocked middle seat since they got some I think MAXs with all Y, but might be mistaken on the type.

FULL FARE RULES
Spoiler

Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:46 pm

Anyone have any recommendations if home base is AUS?

Looking to plan an MQD run based out of AUS. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:45 pm

Premier Light

Originally Posted by esquimau
Hey Bowgie , what do you know about the Premier Light on Aeromexico. I'm thinking about trying this because my work tickets (government tickets) are all bought through Delta directly and lower priced which has been hurting my MQDs despite multiple cross Atlantic flights. Since I'm in LA a good bit of the year I'm considering maybe trying to go down to San Diego, visit a friend and then maybe do some same day mileage runs from TIJ to maybe CUN. When I tried one out for August I'm seeing like $320 for that but one leg is showing as Premier Light. Would that still likely be an I class ticket? I wish there was a way to view the class code vs name on Aeromexico's page.
See jfkeze's reply above. It "should" earn as booking code "I" because that is what it is as shown on the boarding pass printed at check-in and the ticket receipt. jfkeze's "Y-up" discussion is about the fare basis, which is a different thing shown in the highlighted string of seemingly random alphabet letters pasted from Google -- his point being it is potentially enough to confuse Delta's mileage crediting (as are the beats of a butterfly's wings in China). (sarcasm)

Premier light is an all-coach seating arrangement with the middle seat blocked in the rows where Clase Premier normally would be. You still get the normal "food" and lounge access in MEX.
jfkeze likes this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 25, 2022 at 3:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.