Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AS: TPA to FAI for $747 and earn 580 Tier Points!

AS: TPA to FAI for $747 and earn 580 Tier Points!

Old Feb 8, 22, 2:19 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 2
I'm trying to book this but when I put the dates into Google flights it only shows me nonstop/1 stop options. How do you get this configuration with two stops? thank you
scottish flyer is offline  
Old Feb 8, 22, 4:05 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Mucci, BA, AA, UA, TK, World of Hyatt, Bonvoy, Hilton Honours, Untappd 8000+
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Did you do anything in those cities, or only stayed in the airports?
At FAI I decided not go downtown in the little time I had but rather to return to dive into Chena Hot Springs one day,
which is a 69 scenic miles from downtown.
Fairbanks hotels offer complimentary bus shuttles, which I saw come and go.

Airport staff recommended the natural history Museum of the North in the University Area.
Public buses to and from the airport don’t run on Saturdays and Sundays.

I ended up staying the night in Los Anchorage at the Marriott Downtown, which was a delight.
I cancelled the Four Points, which could be had real cheap, for the Marriott’s pool and the view, which did not disappoint.

Walk downtown. Take in its melancholy.
Downtown must have seen better days.
Doesn’t the Hilton building seem iconic?
The flickering neon sign screams pure nostalgia.
Then there’s the Apple Store (no sales tax) in the 5th Ave Mall,
which boasts some fine eighties aesthetics.
I had dinner and lunch at 49th State Brewing,
which comes highly recommended.

With mixed feelings, I skipped JNU altogether.
I was dead tired since I had come all the way from DXB.
So I went for easy lounge-hopping at SEA instead of
staying a rather short night at the Four Points in downtown JNU.

No doubt I’ll want to revisit AK in winter,
preferably by renting a car to savour the Great Outdoors.

Husky-sledding might be your thing.
I’ll be catching a glimpse of aurora borealis and jumping into hot springs…

And there’s always the milkrun on every self-deserving av geek’s list.
Sandy Hopper is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 9:03 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin TX
Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Well, if you collect Avios, the lovely thing about this one is the over 2000 mile segments which credit at 140 vs 40 for a short hop. Plus more Avios for longer distances...
So while you could do a NYC-RDU (via DCA, CLT) and get 120 TPs for $153 see sample below


For AA flyers, if not mistaken it's 30% of distance as EQD till End of Month and then longer flights for the LPs

You can also get 240 TPs in a day ex-NYC like this
Can I book this on AA.com and add my BA number for trip only and earn BA Points or it will credit to Advantage account only ? I am based in US. I can create new account for BA club.
rajhyd99 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:10 am
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by rajhyd99 View Post
Can I book this on AA.com and add my BA number for trip only and earn BA Points or it will credit to Advantage account only ? I am based in US. I can create new account for BA club.
You can book on AA.com and when it asks for your Frequent Flyer number you as you BA Number. No issues at all, also if you have an existing not new BA account, I believe that the lower qualification numbers apply, you still need to fly on BA segments but it's less than normal years due to Covid.
jfkeze is online now  
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:47 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin TX
Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
You can book on AA.com and when it asks for your Frequent Flyer number you as you BA Number. No issues at all, also if you have an existing not new BA account, I believe that the lower qualification numbers apply, you still need to fly on BA segments but it's less than normal years due to Covid.
Thanks for quick response. Why not on the new BA account any reason ? I used to have old account like 5 or 6 year back but not sure if its still active or not. Never fly BA in last 5 years. So we can collect points on US domestic and just need to fly BA segments also to get the status qualification like 2 for Bronze and 4 flights for Sliver ? Is it 2 Segments or 4 Segments or 2 or 4 different record locators (different trips)..
rajhyd99 is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 11:56 am
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by rajhyd99 View Post
Thanks for quick response. Why not on the new BA account any reason ? I used to have old account like 5 or 6 year back but not sure if its still active or not. Never fly BA in last 5 years. So we can collect points on US domestic and just need to fly BA segments also to get the status qualification like 2 for Bronze and 4 flights for Sliver ? Is it 2 Segments or 4 Segments or 2 or 4 different record locators (different trips)..
Two flights with BA numbers (so even an AA flight from JFK to LHR sold under Ba code should be Kosher) for 🥉 status and Four for 🥈🥇 status...
Now from reading the BA Site legacy accounts need

​​​Bronze: 225 Tier Points or 18 eligible flightsSilver: 450 Tier Points or 37 eligible flightsGold: 1125 Tier Points
But if you went to open a new account it shows 300/600/1500 TPs so it is my understanding that any old account qualified for the lower tier. So might be worth looking for the old username/etc.

I might be wrong but that is how I think it works....

Here is the BA Forum thread on the subject...
rajhyd99 likes this.
jfkeze is online now  
Old Feb 11, 22, 1:59 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,795
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Two flights with BA numbers (so even an AA flight from JFK to LHR sold under Ba code should be Kosher) for 🥉 status and Four for 🥈🥇 status...
Are those covid-relaxed requirements? Somehow i recall that the status qualifying flights must be on BA equipment regardless of marketing arrangements.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 2:14 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 4,658
From the BA Forum (2020 data)
Eligible flights include any ones which are BA operated or marketed. which makes sense based upon this data point from BA site
Eligible flights are defined as those flights marketed or operated by British Airways and those flights marketed and operated by Iberia.

But then in the T&Cs, Point 6 Recognition


Members must ensure they take at least 2 flights operated and marketed by British Airways during each Tier Point Collection Year in addition to obtaining either the required number of Tier Points or completing the required number of eligible flights. In order to achieve or retain Silver or Gold status Members must ensure they take at least four flights operated by British Airways during each Tier Point Collection Year in addition to obtaining the required number of Tier Points.

So do codeshares marketed by BA (lets say on AA metal) count or don't count towards the 4 flights?
I'm leaning towards need to be on BA metal... will reach out to BA Twitter but I'm confused...
MaxVO likes this.
jfkeze is online now  
Old Feb 11, 22, 8:28 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,795
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
...I'm leaning towards need to be on BA metal... will reach out to BA Twitter but I'm confused...
Good idea, thanks! Whenever there are contradictory terms, I usually assume that the more restrictive interpretation will actually apply. Of course if somebody actually receives status without the required segments on BA metal, that would remove all doubts.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:26 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hawaii & Texas
Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,088
Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper View Post
I ended up staying the night in Los Anchorage at the Marriott Downtown, which was a delight.
I cancelled the Four Points, which could be had real cheap, for the Marriott’s pool and the view, which did not disappoint.

Walk downtown. Take in its melancholy.
Downtown must have seen better days.
Doesn’t the Hilton building seem iconic?
The flickering neon sign screams pure nostalgia.
Then there’s the Apple Store (no sales tax) in the 5th Ave Mall,
which boasts some fine eighties aesthetics.
I had dinner and lunch at 49th State Brewing,
which comes highly recommended.

I’ll be catching a glimpse of aurora borealis and jumping into hot springs…
And there’s always the milkrun on every self-deserving av geek’s list.
Making a run from AUS-LAX-ANC, didn't see this post until later. In my 24-hour stop in Anchorage, I'll try 49th State Brewing per the recommendation. Any other ideas for a single epic thing to do? Was thinking about a seaplane over the glaciers since I wouldn't have enough time to drive/hike.
EXPLAT is offline  
Old Feb 11, 22, 10:28 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hawaii & Texas
Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,088
Originally Posted by Sandy Hopper View Post
Literally on my last leg from SEA to TPA.
Let me know if I can answer any questions re ANC, FAI or SEA.
Best single thing to do in ANC with a 24-hour stopover?
PanAmSam likes this.
EXPLAT is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 5:02 am
  #27  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 4,658
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
Good idea, thanks! Whenever there are contradictory terms, I usually assume that the more restrictive interpretation will actually apply. Of course if somebody actually receives status without the required segments on BA metal, that would remove all doubts.
rajhyd99 likes this.
jfkeze is online now  
Old Feb 12, 22, 5:35 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,795
That sounds like great news -- there are quite a few options for getting those elite qualifying segments. This possibly makes BA status easier to get than AS.
MaxVO is offline  
Old Feb 12, 22, 10:23 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Unio Europaea
Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Posts: 1,434
It's not really any news on FlyerTalk, since that has been easily available in the BA/BAEC subforum for years, by reading the introduction to the Executive Club and what counts as an eligible flag.

What she did not specify, is that BA CityFlyer counts as BA and that IB flights by Grupo Iberia count as IB. However, for the US based crowd, AS Mileage Plan is perhaps still more advantageous, depending on how one travels and earns additional loyalty credits for award redemptions.
Flying Yazata is offline  
Old Mar 7, 22, 5:37 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Programs: Mucci, BA, AA, UA, TK, World of Hyatt, Bonvoy, Hilton Honours, Untappd 8000+
Posts: 159
Originally Posted by EXPLAT View Post
Best single thing to do in ANC with a 24-hour stopover?
I'd say have lunch at 49th State Brewing and then head out on one of the four multi-use trails. Or the other way around.
rollthere likes this.
Sandy Hopper is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread