Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AF/KL/DL/VS: MAD/HEL to US Biz - from $1100

AF/KL/DL/VS: MAD/HEL to US Biz - from $1100

Old Aug 21, 21, 9:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, TK Silver, IHG Platinum, MR Gold, HH Gold, A-Club Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starchildflyer View Post
I am looking at HEL-SJC in October. I am American living in AMS and vaccinated. There is an option with a night time stopover in AMS. I have 2 Q's:
If I fly to HEL can I take the same flight that will be the first leg of my HEL-AMS-LAX-SJC journey or would I need to actually go back out to the check in desk for health screening and such? Recently I have not been allocated a boarding pass when checking in online.
After night time stopover in AMS, assume I will need to again pass the check in desk and at that point will be allowed to check in a bag if desired?
Many thanks!
I would do the following if I were you : Since I understand that you will be taking you feeder flight to HEL less than 24 hours before the departure from HEL, Maybe you could check with the ground staff in AMS if you could perform the passport/health check in AMS already the day before - and that would be in case the OLCI would not issue you a boarding pass. In Helsinki, you will most likely arrive already in the terminal, so immediate turnaround is an option. You may not want to leave the secure area of the airport as you will not have enough time, but you should be able to validate your documents with the gate staff in HEL before your flight departs, just try to proceed as much as possible with the online check-in so that only a limited amount of updates will have to be processed by the gate staff. Note also that KLM is slowly rolling out a remote COVID19 document check service (https://www.klm.nl/en/information/fa...document-check) but the service is not yet available for departures to the USA.
Regarding the option to check-in your luggage in AMS the next day, this is certainly an option, especially considering your transfer is overnight. Just proceed at the SkyPriority counter in AMS.

Safe travels,
Starchildflyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 21, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
It’s not as cheap as some of the deals, but I just booked 2 people MAD-CDG-ATL-MSY-JFK-MAD for €1339 each. We’ll be going for the Rock N Roll New Orleans marathon if it happens. AF A350 westbound, DL 763 eastbound.
Old Aug 21, 21, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by Starchildflyer View Post
I am looking at HEL-SJC in October. I am American living in AMS and vaccinated. There is an option with a night time stopover in AMS. I have 2 Q's:
If I fly to HEL can I take the same flight that will be the first leg of my HEL-AMS-LAX-SJC journey or would I need to actually go back out to the check in desk for health screening and such? Recently I have not been allocated a boarding pass when checking in online.
After night time stopover in AMS, assume I will need to again pass the check in desk and at that point will be allowed to check in a bag if desired?
Many thanks!
Especially now, I would take the OW option from AMS for a few more euros. A bit more stress-free than your plan I think.
Starchildflyer likes this.
Old Aug 21, 21, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AndyKehn View Post
This also works from MAD. Question: if I book MAD-CDG-ORD (all on AF) then ORD-AMS-MAD (all on KLM) through delta to use up my credit, can I earn rdm based on distance flown if credit to delta?

Fyi can also open jaw in the US (ord/sjc) or change the ex-us leg to BCN
DL is going to sell using all DL marketed flight numbers. Only if you get them to sell using NON-DL marketing will you earn per distance.

All that matters for DL earning is marketing of the flight.
Old Aug 22, 21, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Deckter View Post
Especially now, I would take the OW option from AMS for a few more euros. A bit more stress-free than your plan I think.
True, but I am gold currently with KLM and this would take me to Platinum.. Perhaps spend a bit more and go via BCN, combining that with a visit with a friend of mine there..
Deckter likes this.
Old Aug 24, 21, 7:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue
I have a question on this fare;
Originally booked a trip to LAX with a single stop in the US, two approx. equally long DL flights, but bought through AFKL.
Now on both outbound and inbound DL has changed the schedule for the flight to LAX.
Would this allow me to change the iternary without any additional cost to let's say one that has one short flight, connecting AMS/CDG and then a long one to LAX for free?
This has my preference, but the fare was not available earlier for the lower price and also books in to I class currently.

I tried searching for this specific case in AF/KL policies, but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 24, 21, 7:49 am

This happened to me recently as well. Agent said the booking can be amended within 30 days of the flight without a diff fee
Old Aug 24, 21, 10:40 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
What is the last return month for this sale?
Trying to get from MAD to ATL or close by.
Old Aug 24, 21, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
I have a question on this fare;
Originally booked a trip to LAX with a single stop in the US, two approx. equally long DL flights, but bought through AFKL.
Now on both outbound and inbound DL has changed the schedule for the flight to LAX.
Would this allow me to change the iternary without any additional cost to let's say one that has one short flight, connecting AMS/CDG and then a long one to LAX for free?
This has my preference, but the fare was not available earlier for the lower price and also books in to I class currently.

I tried searching for this specific case in AF/KL policies, but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the help.
Yes. Call up AF or KL or DL and ask to be rebooked. Can ask what specifically changed? Only reason they would balk, if was just few minutes difference (unless causes MCT violation). Otherwise they'll be happy to help.
Old Aug 25, 21, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by anngi View Post
What is the last return month for this sale?
Trying to get from MAD to ATL or close by.
I think certain Skyteam hub cities are excluded - e.g. ATL, NYC.
anngi likes this.
Old Aug 25, 21, 12:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Yes. Call up AF or KL or DL and ask to be rebooked. Can ask what specifically changed? Only reason they would balk, if was just few minutes difference (unless causes MCT violation). Otherwise they'll be happy to help.
It's timing what changed. The transfer in the US is reduced from 3hr to 2hrs due to earlier departure to LAX and on the way back departure from LAX moved from 9.30am to 7.15am.
It's not a couple of minutes, but not that big of change either. But, I'm happy to argue I'm not comfortable with the transfer time and the earlier departure back
Old Aug 25, 21, 9:23 am
Original Member

It looks like these fares have been pulled I snoozed and losed. If anyone sees any cities available to the US and back to Europe available for mid September, I would love to know.
Old Aug 25, 21, 1:45 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Looks like Delta killed their MAD-ATL flight for the winter. Leaves MAD-JFK as the only feeder into the US, which leaves early enough that it makes same day positioning nearly impossible. What are the chances I get them to switch me to BCN-JFK (which leaves considerably later)? I'll probably wait some time to call in as I expect schedules are still in flux...a bit irritated they kill a key feeder just days after a major sale on these routings.
fridgy likes this.
Old Aug 26, 21, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold; BA Rust
Originally Posted by r0gerthat View Post
It's timing what changed. The transfer in the US is reduced from 3hr to 2hrs due to earlier departure to LAX and on the way back departure from LAX moved from 9.30am to 7.15am.
The "earlier departure to LAX" shouldn't really be an issue; you always have to clear customs and immigration upon arrival in the US, so it is always a fact that passengers frequently miss their onward connections; it's no biggie, and and you will always be put on the next available flight. For this reason alone, I wouldn't bother seeking a change. A 2 hour transfer should be doable, particularly as you're in business and will be among the first to get off the plane and into the immigration queue.

The earlier departure from LAX is more inconvenient indeed; no harm in ringing up and finding out what they can do for you.

As regards your apparent desire to be rebooked onto a new routing via AMS/CDG, I am not sure if you can demand that (without being subject to a re-price), but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Please report back with the outcome of your call to AFKL!!
Old Aug 26, 21, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
The "earlier departure to LAX" shouldn't really be an issue; you always have to clear customs and immigration upon arrival in the US, so it is always a fact that passengers frequently miss their onward connections; it's no biggie, and and you will always be put on the next available flight. For this reason alone, I wouldn't bother seeking a change. A 2 hour transfer should be doable, particularly as you're in business and will be among the first to get off the plane and into the immigration queue.

The earlier departure from LAX is more inconvenient indeed; no harm in ringing up and finding out what they can do for you.

As regards your apparent desire to be rebooked onto a new routing via AMS/CDG, I am not sure if you can demand that (without being subject to a re-price), but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Please report back with the outcome of your call to AFKL!!
The change from 930 to 715 is over 2hrs, thus not only qualify for free change, also qualify for refund if want. Yes can demand new routing. Anything involving AF/KL/DL/VS flights are possible regardless of current cost will be even exchange. C

Search this Thread