Wiki Posts
Search

JAL: EWR-Hanoi $2370

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
JAL: EWR-Hanoi $2370

Valid several days in October. Some slightly higher fares throughout November. Not sure how useful it will be.

https://www.google.com/travel/flight...en-US&curr=USD
Old Jun 23, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Awesome find. Also a big gamble considering Vietnam is not open to international travel yet.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
This is essentially the same fare as the NYC-CGK on JL or AA. Same base fare, same rules.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Books in X, so gets normal credit on AA. Usually the better JL fares are I and earn a seriously reduced rate.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by injian
Awesome find. Also a big gamble considering Vietnam is not open to international travel yet.
Yeah, that's why i said "not sure how useful it will be". Probably won't be useful at all, but i posted it!
Old Jun 24, 2021, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Two caveats here.
1. The EWR-BOS v/v is booked in Y
2. Although the B6 flights are codeshared JL, no OW miles/TPs/Avios except maybe into JL FFP
Old Jun 25, 2021, 8:01 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by onobond
Two caveats here.
1. The EWR-BOS v/v is booked in Y
2. Although the B6 flights are codeshared JL, no OW miles/TPs/Avios except maybe into JL FFP
It should actually work if you credit to AA -- they have different language on the JL page than all of their other partners where it seems a JL* flight operated by any airline qualifies:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
Old Jun 27, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by VFR
It should actually work if you credit to AA -- they have different language on the JL page than all of their other partners where it seems a JL* flight operated by any airline qualifies:
(my bolding)

Your AA quote says otherwise:

Originally Posted by American Airlines
To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
B6 is not a Oneworld member, and AFAIK, not a OW affiliate either.

OTOH, substitute EWR with JFK and fly JL coded and AA operated business to/from BOS, with full OW credits

Last edited by onobond; Jun 27, 2021 at 7:08 am Reason: Addendum
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:12 pm

Is there anyway to get this fare to work stopping in MNL for the majority of the time? That's my destination I want to get to. Appreciate your help!
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Is there anyway to get this fare to work stopping in MNL for the majority of the time? That's my destination I want to get to. Appreciate your help!
This fare is subject to $100 additional for stopover and, more importantly, it is subject to HIP, which essentially means that if you'd were to stop in MNL, you'd be paying the higher NYC-MNL fare.
However it has one HIP exception under the JL rules:
JAPAN IS EXCLUDED FROM THE HIGHER INTERMEDIATE POINT
RULE FOR STOPOVERS.
So you could stop in Tokyo and take a flight from there to MNL as an award maybe. Of course, the covid issue makes doing such a trip with separate tickets tricky.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
This fare is subject to $100 additional for stopover and, more importantly, it is subject to HIP, which essentially means that if you'd were to stop in MNL, you'd be paying the higher NYC-MNL fare.
However it has one HIP exception under the JL rules:

So you could stop in Tokyo and take a flight from there to MNL as an award maybe. Of course, the covid issue makes doing such a trip with separate tickets tricky.
Thanks for your response, I'm new to the flight side of the miles and points equation. So you're saying, I'd need to book another flight from Hanoi to MNL right? On a separate ticket? I can get into MNL no problem as long as I can transit in Hanoi.

I think this fare is very similar to the CGK one. I'd much rather stop in MNL then "continue" on to Hanoi or CGK but I gather from what you're saying it's not possible right?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thanks for your response, I'm new to the flight side of the miles and points equation. So you're saying, I'd need to book another flight from Hanoi to MNL right? On a separate ticket? I can get into MNL no problem as long as I can transit in Hanoi.

I think this fare is very similar to the CGK one. I'd much rather stop in MNL then "continue" on to Hanoi or CGK but I gather from what you're saying it's not possible right?
Correct. If you can find a separate ticket from CGK or HAN to MNL, that'd be the simplest to do. Any stop outside of Japan raises the fare to the most expensive between any pair of cities on your itinerary.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 4:22 pm

Thanks Bro yeah I think I can... Just wanted to confirm there wasn't a way to "trick" the system in letting me add MNL to the itinerary. Thanks for confirming.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
I would use this fare in November with a langer stopover in TYO but I think that travel to VN will there still be not possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.