Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
I did not take a test prior to leaving. The QR agent that I spoke to on the phone a few days before the trip said as long as I met the requirements for Greece the transit would not be a problem. Since I was fully vaccinated Greece didn't require a test, only the vaccine card.

On the other hand I did need to take a test to get back into the US. For that I brought with me a couple of the online-proctored Abbott tests. Did it in the hotel room, worked fine.
Is it "Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card At-Home Kit" ?

Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by MrJBoy

I'm interested to know if this is valid for re-entry into the US, given that dumb requirement that even vaccinated people must test negative.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I'm interested to know if this is valid for re-entry into the US, given that dumb requirement that even vaccinated people must test negative.
I think this product already partnered with UA, which means they're definitely accepted for US entry. I've also seen multiple posters here on flyertalk saying they used it without any problem, but personally I have yet to try because at many destinations, local testing this cheaper than this and very convenient.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Yes, but be real careful that the one you're buying includes the various QR codes and access to the online proctor. Apparently they sell the exact same test without online proctoring, and that doesn't count to get into the country. If you go to emed dot com and click "order now" they'll sell you a six-pack for $150, which is where I got mine. They say to bring multiple tests with you when traveling in case a test is inconclusive; not sure how often that happens, but my travel buddy and I each brought three and only needed one apiece. The biggest drawback IMO is that the packaging is kinda bulky; as a carryon-only guy I found 3 tests taking up as much space as at least 2 pairs of jeans borderline criminal.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I hope it's ok to ask this question here though I am wondering about a SEA to ATH ticket. I'm wondering how flexible changing a return date might be, I am MVPG if that makes a difference. Is there a change fee? I'm thinking af late July early aug departure and later in August return but very flexible. THX
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by ezak
I think this product already partnered with UA, which means they're definitely accepted for US entry. I've also seen multiple posters here on flyertalk saying they used it without any problem, but personally I have yet to try because at many destinations, local testing this cheaper than this and very convenient.
Yes for sure that last thing. As I said these tests worked great for me and other than the bulkiness I have no complaints. That said, I found out later that I could have walked into a pharmacy and had a test for like 10eur that would have been fine. So...they're kinda cool if you're unsure there will be other testing available...but if you're confident in onsite testing that's easy and cheap that's probably a better bet.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I hope it's ok to ask this question here though I am wondering about a SEA to ATH ticket. I'm wondering how flexible changing a return date might be, I am MVPG if that makes a difference. Is there a change fee? I'm thinking af late July early aug departure and later in August return but very flexible. THX
These tickets are all completely refundable and changeable without any fees. Of course the fares vary pretty dramatically. I originally paid about $1800 and was supposed to return 2021-06-01 but decided to extend once I was already in Greece. Asked to make my return 2021-06-05 and they wanted $3500 extra, so I asked about other days and they ended up giving me 2021-06-07 for no extra money. Had to pay AS $100 to extend my SEA-STL return but that seemed reasonable all considered.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Jun 23, 2021 at 10:41 am Reason: redundancy
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Yes, but be real careful that the one you're buying includes the various QR codes and access to the online proctor. Apparently they sell the exact same test without online proctoring, and that doesn't count to get into the country. If you go to emed dot com and click "order now" they'll sell you a six-pack for $150, which is where I got mine. They say to bring multiple tests with you when traveling in case a test is inconclusive; not sure how often that happens, but my travel buddy and I each brought three and only needed one apiece. The biggest drawback IMO is that the packaging is kinda bulky; as a carryon-only guy I found 3 tests taking up as much space as at least 2 pairs of jeans borderline criminal.
Thanks for the info. I checked the website and found it looked there was a sleeve version which is probably not bulkier than the box version??? but I don't know where I can buy the sleeve version...
Also, if I purchase the six-pack for myself, can I share one of them with my travel companion? I am asking this because when I try to purchase them, it asks if I'm ordering for myself or someone else...

futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Thanks for the info. I checked the website and found it looked there was a sleeve version which is probably not bulkier than the box version??? but I don't know where I can buy the sleeve version...
Also, if I purchase the six-pack for myself, can I share one of them with my travel companion? I am asking this because when I try to purchase them, it asks if I'm ordering for myself or someone else...
There is discussion on sharing a given six pack of test between several travellers on the thread on this in the UA forum. I would look around post #39. IMO this is a better place to get answers from people who have done this (some repeatedly).

UA: Use Home Testing Kit for U.S. Return from International
MrJBoy and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
It's funny/ironic it takes up so much room, when at least some of their marketing copy makes it seem like it's super portable. For example:

I can indeed imagine a few tests taking up the space of two pairs of jeans. In that sense, the ad (above) is correct in that it fits in a carry-on... but maybe it takes up the entire carry-on haha.

Yes for sure that last thing. As I said these tests worked great for me and other than the bulkiness I have no complaints. That said, I found out later that I could have walked into a pharmacy and had a test for like 10eur that would have been fine. So...they're kinda cool if you're unsure there will be other testing available...but if you're confident in onsite testing that's easy and cheap that's probably a better bet.
So check-in agents and US C&I will accept testing results from [nearly] any source? I could see how testing might be readily available, inexpensive, and above-board in some regions, but maybe a lot harder to find in others. Maybe that's where the test could come in handy.

(Sry, admittedly a question for a different thread, but it appears this thread has momentarily digressed in this direction)
Old Jun 23, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
The dumb thing is people believe they cannot become infected after being vaccinated.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
It's funny/ironic it takes up so much room, when at least some of their marketing copy makes it seem like it's super portable.
Yeah, especially since there's so little actual material in them. They could very easily have made them 1/4 the size or less. Given the specific marketing for travel it just seems dumb.

So check-in agents and US C&I will accept testing results from [nearly] any source? I could see how testing might be readily available, inexpensive, and above-board in some regions, but maybe a lot harder to find in others. Maybe that's where the test could come in handy.
This is an area where generalizing can be really dangerous. My understanding is the US is pretty permissive about what counts, but I would definitely check the specifics of the place you'll be. Moreover don't forget that some transit hubs have stricter requirements. For example many specifically require a PCR test whereas the Abbott ones are Antigen based. Not a problem on QR if your final is the US, but something to consider. Basically, get the details beforehand.

(Sry, admittedly a question for a different thread, but it appears this thread has momentarily digressed in this direction)
Yeah, we went way afield of the fare deal here. My fault more than anybody's, sorry about that. Anyway hope it's useful to somebody.
futuramadramallama and fbrdky like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
How to pick seats as OW Emerald?

I did ATH-DOH-SEA last week (purchased last time they had the MPMEMBERS fares, in February) and they gave me access to Al Mourjan on an R fare. I am OW Emerald (AA EXP) but my understanding from the QR newbie thread is that the status wasn't necessary for that access, they're just giving it "as a courtesy" since you can't enter Qatar right now. The lounge was really fantastic, but it's still a drag to be stuck there overnight. There are some "quiet rooms" that apparently have something like a real bed; they were full when I was there so I had a pod with a recliner good enough to sleep in, at least for me. My guess is if you book toward the end of the year or early next year they will likely have started allowing entry to Qatar, in which case the stopover is a feature not a bug. If not, then I think it's likely you'll still get Al Mourjan access. But that's really just a guess.

Don't forget these are fully refundable...go get you some.
Got mostly through the Classic booking process for SEA-DOH-ATH RT, but couldn't figure how to choose the seats, which we should be able to do as a OW Emerald via AS MVP75K. Will I be able to book Classic and then go into the reservation and pick seats?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
Got mostly through the Classic booking process for SEA-DOH-ATH RT, but couldn't figure how to choose the seats, which we should be able to do as a OW Emerald via AS MVP75K. Will I be able to book Classic and then go into the reservation and pick seats?
Yes, I believe so. I don't remember whether I picked the seats in the last stages of the booking process or after, but I was definitely able to pick them for free the same night I booked. I have seen reports of others who had prices show up on the seats during selection but then were not asked for any payment at the end. I never saw prices when I did it. If you select seats and it asks for a card I would call and ask an agent to assign them. By policy you should not have to pay.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by slocouple
Yes, when you buy a Classic fare, there won't be a seat assignment page before checkout. But once you've received the ticket confirmation, and assuming you put in your AS number correctly, you'll then be able to look up the reservation and select seats. It should not ask for payment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.