Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

Old Jun 14, 21, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama View Post
Does the Al Mourjan lounge "officially" (or at least regularly) allow transit passengers to overnight?
Yes, the lounge agents who scanned my boarding pass made sure to remind me of my boarding time the next morning, apologized that the quiet rooms were full, and suggested the area where I would find the best pod for overnight. So clearly they're expecting that sort of thing.
Old Jun 15, 21, 1:22 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Had to do a 8+ hour stay at Al Mourjan once. Won't do that again. It's a nice lounge, but not for sleeping. I'd pay for Oryx if I had to that long of a transit again.
JJeffrey and washeelers747 like this.
Old Jun 15, 21, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EP
We are flying SEA-DOH-ATH in late july. The challenge of the hotel on the way out is that we get there are like 7am SEA time and would be awake all day. I'm going to try to exercise, eat, walk the corridors on the way out cause I would go stir crazy in a hotel room where I can't sleep. But will get the hotel on the way back when we will be acclimated to that time zone.
Old Jun 16, 21, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Did anyone notice how QR bump up the base fare when you add the coupon? So you're "saving" $275 per leg off a $150 more expensive fare. AFAIK, the two fares that I found here book into the same fare class. Its kind of a shady thing they do...

Old Jun 16, 21, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA Gold, AC 75k, Hyatt/Hilton/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by ryanlyma View Post
Did anyone notice how QR bump up the base fare when you add the coupon? So you're "saving" $275 per leg off a $150 more expensive fare. AFAIK, the two fares that I found here book into the same fare class. Its kind of a shady thing they do...

Noticed the same thing. SFO-CPT prices out at $2955, but with the $550 off code, it's $2761 for the same flights and same R fare class. Only a $194 discount instead of $550
Old Jun 17, 21, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU View Post
I did ATH-DOH-SEA last week (purchased last time they had the MPMEMBERS fares, in February) and they gave me access to Al Mourjan on an R fare. I am OW Emerald (AA EXP) but my understanding from the QR newbie thread is that the status wasn't necessary for that access, they're just giving it "as a courtesy" since you can't enter Qatar right now. The lounge was really fantastic, but it's still a drag to be stuck there overnight. There are some "quiet rooms" that apparently have something like a real bed; they were full when I was there so I had a pod with a recliner good enough to sleep in, at least for me. My guess is if you book toward the end of the year or early next year they will likely have started allowing entry to Qatar, in which case the stopover is a feature not a bug. If not, then I think it's likely you'll still get Al Mourjan access. But that's really just a guess.

Don't forget these are fully refundable...go get you some.
Did you need a proof of negative COVID-19 test results to stop over at DOH for your outbound trip (SEA-DOH-ATH)?
Old Jun 18, 21, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL Plat
Sea-doh-ath-doh-sfo

Just got back from Greece last week. Q-suite experience was awesome! No need for negative COVID test to transit through DOH if coming from US (certain countries will need to have a negative test to transit). For the 14 hour layover both ways, booked a room at the Oryx using Agoda and was able to get a rate for $235 each way. Kept checking Agoda to see if price dropped.

Was also able to access Al Mourjan lounge with R fare bucket on the flight to Greece, great place for dinner and breakfast. Fare bucket I on the way home and had access to Al
Mourjan lounge.
MrJBoy, tobikosan, nk15 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 21, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by markiedawg View Post
Just got back from Greece last week. Q-suite experience was awesome! No need for negative COVID test to transit through DOH if coming from US (certain countries will need to have a negative test to transit). For the 14 hour layover both ways, booked a room at the Oryx using Agoda and was able to get a rate for $235 each way. Kept checking Agoda to see if price dropped.

Was also able to access Al Mourjan lounge with R fare bucket on the flight to Greece, great place for dinner and breakfast. Fare bucket I on the way home and had access to Al
Mourjan lounge.
I'm flying almost this exact same route at the end of july. Is agoda the best place to book the Oryx hotel? if so why, I haven't used them.
Old Jun 19, 21, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EP, DL Plat
Agoda is probably one of the best apps I’ve used to book accommodations abroad. Make sure you read what you’re booking - nonrefundable, pay nothing until x date, free cancelation, etc. I booked a free cancelation room at the Oryx transit hotel and just kept checking the app to see if price dropped. Would cancel and rebook. Also used some agoda ‘discounts’ thats how I was able to snag the room for 235. Booking through hotel site was about $300 a night…
tfizzle likes this.
Old Jun 20, 21, 8:14 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Is this for a round trip only.
Old Jun 20, 21, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by beershack View Post
Just booked MIA-CPT for $2300 in February. Now I just have to get used to driving on the left.
is this one way or R/T
Old Jun 21, 21, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
is this one way or R/T
Well, if it IS a one-way, there will be plenty of time to acclimate to left-sided driving.
Old Jun 21, 21, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by discoverCSG View Post
Well, if it IS a one-way, there will be plenty of time to acclimate to left-sided driving.
I could live in Cape Town...

What I was asking is....I cant find $2300 anywhere.
Old Jun 22, 21, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
I could live in Cape Town...

What I was asking is....I cant find $2300 anywhere.
It is round trip.

Here is a search I was able to do using Matrix ITA to find the lowest (non discounted) fare. I then used the power tools to do the direct link to the QR website. I added the promo code as indicated on post #1:

I was able to select flights and got to the add passenger details page, with the following summary:

So it looks to me like this is very much alive.
SSF556 and washeelers747 like this.
Old Jun 22, 21, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MrJBoy View Post
Did you need a proof of negative COVID-19 test results to stop over at DOH for your outbound trip (SEA-DOH-ATH)?
I did not take a test prior to leaving. The QR agent that I spoke to on the phone a few days before the trip said as long as I met the requirements for Greece the transit would not be a problem. Since I was fully vaccinated Greece didn't require a test, only the vaccine card.

On the other hand I did need to take a test to get back into the US. For that I brought with me a couple of the online-proctored Abbott tests. Did it in the hotel room, worked fine.
MrJBoy and hsumh316 like this.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; Jun 22, 21 at 3:24 pm

Search this Thread