Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

QR Suites: JFK - JNB $2350

Old Jun 12, 21, 2:19 pm

Only valid in the US this time?
Old Jun 12, 21, 2:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Note that those Athens flights (and a lot of these other good looking fares) require very long layovers at Doha. That sucks since your only hotel option right now is the Oryx @ 300/night. You can't leave the airport. And you may not even get Al Mourjan access if it's an R fare. Beware of that. Otherwise some potential great deals.
washeelers747 and Spacey like this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 3:49 pm

Programs: Nectar Card Holder
Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
What the o/p meant is that during booking QR site quotes prices for each leg separately (rather than showing the r/t price right away). So, the discount is proportionately split between these two legs.
They may not be actually priced as one ways, but they are displayed as such.
This is exactly what OP meant. OP thanks you for chiming in with your excellent intuition, and capable common sense.
noneemac, Werty7777 and tr3k like this.
Old Jun 12, 21, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer View Post
Note that those Athens flights (and a lot of these other good looking fares) require very long layovers at Doha. That sucks since your only hotel option right now is the Oryx @ 300/night. You can't leave the airport. And you may not even get Al Mourjan access if it's an R fare. Beware of that. Otherwise some potential great deals.
thatís why I give this deal a pass after some thoughts. I want to go Athens or Europe but feel 14+ hour layover with either terrible option - pay $300 oryx hotel or gamble on access to al mourjan lounge but 14 hours in lounge donít sound appealing. Also AA is likely to announce deepening dynamic pricing anytime soon (accord to TPG post today) so I shouldnít throw money for sake of maintain AA status since I realize lately that isnít worth it anymore
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by washeelers747; Jun 12, 21 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 13, 21, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
are their any covid restrictions for layover ? hoping to collect alaska miles
Old Jun 13, 21, 11:59 pm

But surely these restrictions might change by next year, and the free stopover program may return? (And by "surely," I mean, "I sure hope.")

So maybe a fairly-far-out booking would be okay in terms of being able to layover-comfortably (I hope).
Old Jun 14, 21, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Just booked MIA-CPT for $2300 in February. Now I just have to get used to driving on the left.
Old Jun 14, 21, 4:01 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: DL DM/2M,AA CK/2M,UA GLD/1M,AS 75k,LH SEN,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT LT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by washeelers747 View Post
that’s why I give this deal a pass after some thoughts. I want to go Athens or Europe but feel 14+ hour layover with either terrible option - pay $300 oryx hotel or gamble on access to al mourjan lounge but 14 hours in lounge don’t sound appealing. Also AA is likely to announce deepening dynamic pricing anytime soon (accord to TPG post today) so I shouldn’t throw money for sake of maintain AA status since I realize lately that isn’t worth it anymore
Credit to AS. If you are already MVPG 75k and attain MVPG 75k again during 2021, one roundtrip SFO-DOH-ATH-DOH-SFO for $1,830 will earn you about 85,400 AS RDM (including a pro-rata portion of the 50,000 bonus miles awarded for attaining MVPG 75k for 2021). Using an AS valuation of 1.6 cpm, those miles are worth $1,366, for a net price of $464 roundtrip. Even with stopovers at the Oryx hotel at $300 per stop, your net price rises to $764 (assuming you are sharing the room). I will take that any day. Plus, I like doing crazy things like stopping at a decent transit hotel.
Old Jun 14, 21, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
I did ATH-DOH-SEA last week (purchased last time they had the MPMEMBERS fares, in February) and they gave me access to Al Mourjan on an R fare. I am OW Emerald (AA EXP) but my understanding from the QR newbie thread is that the status wasn't necessary for that access, they're just giving it "as a courtesy" since you can't enter Qatar right now. The lounge was really fantastic, but it's still a drag to be stuck there overnight. There are some "quiet rooms" that apparently have something like a real bed; they were full when I was there so I had a pod with a recliner good enough to sleep in, at least for me. My guess is if you book toward the end of the year or early next year they will likely have started allowing entry to Qatar, in which case the stopover is a feature not a bug. If not, then I think it's likely you'll still get Al Mourjan access. But that's really just a guess.

Don't forget these are fully refundable...go get you some.
Old Jun 14, 21, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by tdot_guy View Post
are their any covid restrictions for layover ? hoping to collect alaska miles
Yes, at present unless you are Qatari, you can't leave the airport. Transiting is fine, but no entry. As noted above there's an airport hotel you can stay in, but it's pricey; see my post above regarding the lounge.
Old Jun 14, 21, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
any way to purchase a "R" fare and still pick seats (even at an additional cost)? Not sure I want to pay the upcharge of $300 each way to do so. Not being able to get the two middle seats together is a real drawback.
You can definitely pick seats for an extra cost. If you have OW Emerald (and maybe lower?) status you can pick them for free at booking.
Old Jun 14, 21, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
DOH-SEA (QR719) is usually a polar flight -- may offer interesting sightseeing.
Correct!

MaxVO, xiaorandejavu, nk15 and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 21, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HLCinCOU View Post
You can definitely pick seats for an extra cost. If you have OW Emerald (and maybe lower?) status you can pick them for free at booking.
I believe it's Emerald and Sapphire for seat selection at time of booking.

Regarding the airport Oryx, I did an 8hr stay few weeks back. The rooms are very well appointed and spacious by transit hotel standards. I was surprised it had a double vanity. It's pricey but definitely very comfortable.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jun 14, 21, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU View Post
I did ATH-DOH-SEA last week (purchased last time they had the MPMEMBERS fares, in February) and they gave me access to Al Mourjan on an R fare. I am OW Emerald (AA EXP) but my understanding from the QR newbie thread is that the status wasn't necessary for that access, they're just giving it "as a courtesy" since you can't enter Qatar right now. The lounge was really fantastic, but it's still a drag to be stuck there overnight. There are some "quiet rooms" that apparently have something like a real bed; they were full when I was there so I had a pod with a recliner good enough to sleep in, at least for me.
Does the Al Mourjan lounge "officially" (or at least regularly) allow transit passengers to overnight? Asking because a lot of global lounges aren't geared towards a stay of more than a few hours (even if they're open 24 hours), and some might even shoo you out. Certainly QR is a carrier of different standards, and probably has far more overnight transit passengers than most due to its schedule.

(Admittedly, this question might be more appropriate for another thread, but I think it's sufficiently relevant here?) (Also not your job to know, but if you happen to have an inkling, that would be lovely.)
Old Jun 14, 21, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama View Post
Does the Al Mourjan lounge "officially" (or at least regularly) allow transit passengers to overnight? Asking because a lot of global lounges aren't geared towards a stay of more than a few hours (even if they're open 24 hours), and some might even shoo you out. Certainly QR is a carrier of different standards, and probably has far more overnight transit passengers than most due to its schedule.

(Admittedly, this question might be more appropriate for another thread, but I think it's sufficiently relevant here?) (Also not your job to know, but if you happen to have an inkling, that would be lovely.)
Yes, we were there last week and overnighting is fine, normal even given some of their schedules. In addition to the Oryx hotel (which is very nice) there is a small sleep room place but I'd recommend a reservation there too since options are currently so limited.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Search this Thread