Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: TIJ to MEX from $196 and earn 1386 MQDs (Bus)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Nice sale from Tijuana to Mexico City with Aeromexico on a very scenic route: TIJ-GDL-MTY-MEX-TIJ. Here is a sample over Memorial Day weekend which allows you to fly almost the entire Aeromexico fleet with Boeing 737, 737MAX, 787 and an Embraer 195 and spend a day in Mexico City and one in Monterrey.

This scenic route would earn 5199 MQMs 1386 MQDs 7.07 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 15250 RDMs, Platinum 12478 RDMs, Gold 11091 RDMs, Silver 9705 RDMs, Base 6932 RDMs

This fare works great for Delta flyers in Southern California as it is easy to access Tijuana Airport from San Diego via the Cross Border Xpress (CBX) which is an airport terminal located on the United States side of the border making it easy to fly out of Tijuana Airport.

Book Flights Here!

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page. Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
Pocatello likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:06 pm

Do you happen to know the easiest way to get to the Cross Border Express terminal from SAN Lindberg? Uber? A better way?
Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by HiFlyerAS
Do you happen to know the easiest way to get to the Cross Border Express terminal from SAN Lindberg? Uber?
1. By Transit: Take MTA bus 992 (fare is $2.50 cash) from the bus stop outside arrivals to the Santa Fe train depot in downtown. Walk to the street corner. Cross to American Plaza, to the Blue Line trolley. Fare is $2.50 cash at the kiosk next to the stop. Take Blue Line trolley for about 40 min towards San Ysidro, but get off at the Iris Street stop, which is the closest drive stop to CBX. (Do not go all the way to San Ysidro). At Iris Street, call Lyft or Uber, about $20 with tip.

2. Alternate way: There is a shuttle bus that takes you from CBX to the Kettner Ave (back side) of the Santa Fe Amtrak station for $13, but I have no info on schedule or ability to take it TO CBX.

3. Easy way: Walk outside arrivals at San Diego airport to the first island and look for either the Lyft or the Uber pick-up spots. Probably about $45 with tip to CBX.
jfkeze, SanDiego1K and viz like this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Mar 27, 2021 at 12:48 am
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
Thank you, got one!
jfkeze likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Great thread title - (Bus). The Bus is certainly more reliable than AM. 😁
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Booked TIJ-(MEX)-MTY rt for $242

My thanks to jfkeze. Spent a little more money to avoid weird arrival times at destination, stopovers, or origination airport.

Monterrey looks good for a two night trip. I can stay the first night at an airport hotel and eat at the nearby Il Castello di Frabo. It seems to be a world-class Italian restaurant with reasonable prices. Second night near Macroplaza and Barrio Antiguo. The city history museum looks good, too. A full day is enough for the highlights. MEX or GDL would be worth longer stays. Maybe next time.
jfkeze, btonkid12345 and Pocatello like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by Bowgie
My thanks to jfkeze. Spent a little more money to avoid weird arrival times at destination, stopovers, or origination airport.

Monterrey looks good for a two night trip. I can stay the first night at an airport hotel and eat at the nearby Il Castello di Frabo. It seems to be a world-class Italian restaurant with reasonable prices. Second night near Macroplaza and Barrio Antiguo. The city history museum looks good, too. A full day is enough for the highlights. MEX or GDL would be worth longer stays. Maybe next time.
I was looking into this yesterday and it appears to be a TIJ-MTY ticket that allows unlimited stopovers in each direction. Haven’t booked yet but I did manage to pull up an itinerary in SEP that had ~2 nights in GDL, MTY, and MEX. Think those are the only to cities AM flies to out of TIJ else could possibly try out some other places. Wasn’t seeing anything with more than one connection either.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by IggySD
I was looking into this yesterday and it appears to be a TIJ-MTY ticket that allows unlimited stopovers in each direction. Haven’t booked yet but I did manage to pull up an itinerary in SEP that had ~2 nights in GDL, MTY, and MEX. Think those are the only to cities AM flies to out of TIJ else could possibly try out some other places. Wasn’t seeing anything with more than one connection either.
I also noticed the unlimited stopovers. I was able to get a connection in CUN to price, but not Merida. It also stated no circle trips etc, so it seems like you can add in the connections/stops prior to getting to MEX; but any onward points that require a connection in MEX to get there (like MID) won’t work.

CUN worked because AM runs GDL-CUN. But it seems to replace MTY because there is no CUN-MTY - you’d need to connect in MEX.

As always, thanks to @jfkeze for the amazing finds. Question for them, or anyone else who may have flown this already: will this definitely credit as an I fare to DL? I ask because in the other AM thread for the sale to Europe, someone mentioned the DL site showing it as an economy fare, and the fare rules mention it is an up sell fare (but it also states that the fare is for business class service). Would this “domestic” itinerary allow for Salon Premier access at GDL, MTY, and MEX?

Also, I remember some threads on the DL forum about people having challenges with DL properly crediting similar AM fares. Thanks for any experience anyone can share, because would hate to book this and have it credit as an economy instead of business class.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, United
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I also noticed the unlimited stopovers. I was able to get a connection in CUN to price, but not Merida. It also stated no circle trips etc, so it seems like you can add in the connections/stops prior to getting to MEX; but any onward points that require a connection in MEX to get there (like MID) won’t work.

CUN worked because AM runs GDL-CUN. But it seems to replace MTY because there is no CUN-MTY - you’d need to connect in MEX.

As always, thanks to @jfkeze for the amazing finds. Question for them, or anyone else who may have flown this already: will this definitely credit as an I fare to DL? I ask because in the other AM thread for the sale to Europe, someone mentioned the DL site showing it as an economy fare, and the fare rules mention it is an up sell fare (but it also states that the fare is for business class service). Would this “domestic” itinerary allow for Salon Premier access at GDL, MTY, and MEX?

Also, I remember some threads on the DL forum about people having challenges with DL properly crediting similar AM fares. Thanks for any experience anyone can share, because would hate to book this and have it credit as an economy instead of business class.
I've never had issues with AM posting the correct class when purchased to Aeromexico, just make sure to print your BP and give your SM number at the counter to make it easier. However I recently bought AM I class through AMEX travel portal and it credited as economy. I bought this deal through expedia and hoping to get credited on the right fare.

And yes, you will access to Salon Premier. Sad that does not work for MID that my most frequent destination.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by parzivalmx
I've never had issues with AM posting the correct class when purchased to Aeromexico, just make sure to print your BP and give your SM number at the counter to make it easier. However I recently bought AM I class through AMEX travel portal and it credited as economy. I bought this deal through expedia and hoping to get credited on the right fare.

And yes, you will access to Salon Premier. Sad that does not work for MID that my most frequent destination.
Thank you for your reply. Yours was the post in the other AM thread I was referencing about improper credit.

Did you follow up with DL to try to get it corrected? It seems others in the DL thread had success doing that in the past; I just did not want that hassle.

Have you purchased AM business class from Expedia before? Were there any crediting issues? I can’t get the Aeromexico site to work with the stopovers; and certainly don’t want to use GoToGate.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by parzivalmx
Sad that does not work for MID that my most frequent destination.
Is there a nonstop CUN, GDL, or MTY-MID? It might not be daily service. If there is, it could work. Otherwise if it requires a connection in MEX to get to MID, the system sees it as TIJ-MID, which is more expensive.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is awesome. Is the best way to search for this on Matrix using AM+? I could MR the heck out of this to get a good chunk of DL MQDs.

Fare gone??
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
This is awesome. Is the best way to search for this on Matrix using AM+? I could MR the heck out of this to get a good chunk of DL MQDs.

Fare gone??
It should still be available just a bit more expensive. I seeing it at 202 in the autumn and 213 in June.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

Apologies for not responding, I usually recommend clients and general flyers to do the following with Aeromexico.

A) Make sure to have Business on your itinerary, either Orbitz, Expedia or AeromexicoB) Add your Delta SM #.
C) Get a physical BP and make sure it shows the DL number
D) Keep all of theme until they postE) If they don't post , reach out first to the Delta Twitter team, they are good.

The other issue on stopovers seem to work as mentioned without backtracking through MEX to the best of my knowledge but could led to some very nice mini breaks across Mexico.
btonkid12345, Pocatello and Rim1 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Weekend Trip in September
btonkid12345 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.