Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: SFO to MAD $1430

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
Oh? I've transited MEX a couple of times (pre-pandemic). Once was during swine flu on my way to EZE and another time I was going to Lima. I didn't think it was any worse than transiting through any other major international city. Perhaps I got lucky?
Completely agree. I have transited MEX on both domestic and international itineraries.

Very straightforward and unremarkable, in a good way. Yes, you hit immigration, but the worst part of it is the line. It moves quickly and the agents at the counter don’t even speak to you. Very easy.

AM has multiple lounges. While the food on offer can be hit or miss, they have a huge bottled beverage selection, including electrolyte beverages etc. They also have baristas preparing cafe con leches.

Showers are available and they are in the spa and clean. The terminal is walkable and the terminals are connected by a train.

Never had any baggage issues here. Comparing to KLM or AF hubs - where you walk miles in a terminal, or across multiple - with terrible immigration lines and sometimes rude agents - and the awful, old, KLM showers - MEX is so much better. But I would never call it a nightmare, ever.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Glad to hear some positive reviews on transiting MEX. Much like this thread topic, the prices to connect there are often attractive for us in the Southern US.

​Perhaps I should give it a try sometime in the future
Pocatello likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:42 pm

Transiting MEX is not pleasant because of the long lines. Give yourself min of 2 hours for your connection. However, I've had worse experiences transiting in airports. PVG comes to mind.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
I don't understand all these complaints about transiting in MEX. My worst experience, by far, has been in AMS. This was a 2+ hr line.

btonkid12345 and Pocatello like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by jfkeze
At $1300 - ORD-MAD would earn 21981 MQMs 5862 MQDs 4.50 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 64478 RDMs, Platinum 52754 RDMs, Gold 46893 RDMs, Silver 41031 RDMs, Base 29308 RDMs
This routing earns lots of miles and lots of MQDs. Plus a boatload of redeemables for a Diamond like me! 2 years ago I had to fly to KUL to get such a nice deal.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by DCAhome
I'm not sure you would call it "luck", but I have been able to get the AM phone agents to rebook me. Here's my (somewhat) cautionary tale:
- Bought cheap ($500) business class tickets from JFK-MEX to try the 787 in March of 2020.
- Pandemic hit, and I didn't want to fly. AM didn't cancel so I instead used the value in the tickets for a $900 deal in business class from JFK-MEX-SCL in December of 2020.
- AM canceled that flight, and rebooked me (for free) on a February 2021 flight to SCL instead.
- I couldn't take the Feb 2021 SCL trip. After multiple calls, I was (finally) able to use the ticket value for an $1800 trip MIA-MEX-BCN for June of 2021.

I have no idea if this will work in the end. AM's web page is saying that the BCN service is suspended with no start date, but they're still selling tickets for June.

So, like I said, this is a cautionary tale. Most of these changes cost me money. The only exception was when they canceled SCL. And, in that case, I had no choice on the re-booking dates. They also considered that my 1 free change, so I couldn't move my SCL dates again.
This is absolutely awful, and will keep me from the endlessly attractive AM fares. How can they cancel a flight and rebook you without your say, or the option to cancel? Are they not bound by the rules other airlines have to follow?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Msafiritx
This is absolutely awful, and will keep me from the endlessly attractive AM fares. How can they cancel a flight and rebook you without your say, or the option to cancel? Are they not bound by the rules other airlines have to follow?
Just a quick point of clarification. When they rebooked my SCL trip, they did call and asked if I accepted the new dates available. But, there was little choice or flexibility. I think if I had turned down the dates, they would have given me a voucher. But, a refund was clearly off the table.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.