Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA SLC-LAX-MIA-SAL $589 I rt

Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat

Pocatello likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
wow! 😳 😲 787 on MIA-SAL !!!
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:25 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL DM 1MM, UA 1MM
What are the current entry requirements for SAL?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by bobblevins
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes, except for travelers who have visited the United Kingdom and South Africa in the last 30 days.

just for the record, on a good day pre-Covid SAL was a dump, there are some ruins, but you literally do a 4 hour tour from the airport and see the highlights. Safety was an issue in many parts of SAL, even more than other parts of Central America... Just my opinion.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: luggage
wow its like wow
Old Dec 26, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Also available out of SJC & SMF for $608 and STS for $614. STS requires an overnight in PHX, so not worth it.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by bobblevins
https://apply.joinsherpa.com/travel-...ericanairlines
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Still newer to all of this, so this means you'll earn a ton of MQMs but still only $550-ish EQDs, correct?
Since SAL is not a lovely place to go as per above, who is most likely to book this? A British Airways member? Alaska? Basically anyone on an AA partner program, except AA members themselves?
Or do AA people book this too, for EQM, and then later blow good money on a flight they need that isn't a financially good deal but required?
Old Dec 26, 2020, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Still newer to all of this, so this means you'll earn a ton of MQMs but still only $550-ish EQDs, correct?
Since SAL is not a lovely place to go as per above, who is most likely to book this? A British Airways member? Alaska? Basically anyone on an AA partner program, except AA members themselves?
Or do AA people book this too, for EQM, and then later blow good money on a flight they need that isn't a financially good deal but required?
If you intend to credit to AA try to get prorated EQD and RDM through either (i) AA Vacations, add a hotel/ rental car where flight shows as I* or (ii) get a boutique travel agent like Propeller Travel to book it for you as a consolidator fare.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The 787 into and out of SAL is only scheduled on the ground for an hour.

Is that enough time to go through immigration, security and reboard with hand carry luggage?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:38 am

Would you have to go through immigration? If I remember correctly you may be able to stay airside.

As a destination, as a dissenting voice from above, SAL is actually a really interesting place to visit. Yes, there have been drug-related clashes in inner city communities, but these usually do not affect tourists. You can hire a driver and see some great sights.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, KrisFlyer Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Chase Private Client
Earlier this year I took advantage of a $218 RT fare (SFO-DFW-SAL) I spent 10 days solo, self driving throughout the country. Yes, San Salvador itself is not a great destination (a few decent museums) but it's literally within 1.5 hours of beautiful beaches and great surf. There are many fantastic boutique beachfront properties from La Libertad to Playa Mizata. I also drove inland and stayed at Lago de Coatepeque, hiked Santa Ana volcano, and visited coffee plantations in the area. I would recommend this country to adventurous travelers who are willing to self drive or hire someone to. If that's not you, do a quick turn and enjoy the 787.
Jaimito Cartero and Pocatello like this.

Last edited by jaytmoore; Dec 27, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Old Dec 28, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Unionruler
If you intend to credit to AA try to get prorated EQD and RDM through either (i) AA Vacations, add a hotel/ rental car where flight shows as I* or (ii) get a boutique travel agent like Propeller Travel to book it for you as a consolidator fare.
Thanks, gave it a shot, the AA vacations, with a hotel for the whole duration but in reality I might do just a single day (do I even have to actually check in?), there weren't any Hyatts on the list of options sadly!!! Where does one ultimately see the asterisk or double I, or does just one I suffice with no asterisk? In the final booking/pay stage? I wasn't able to locate any intel/evidence the fare was going to be marked as special.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.