Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: JFK to EZE from $1453 and earn 5339 MQDs

Old Dec 10, 20, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Aeroméxico has a sale from JFK to EZE via Mexico City. Argentina is opening up slowly to tourists and is super cheap with the parallel currency exchange rate (dolar blue). Just don't use a foreign credit card here under any circumstances since the gap between official and parallel rates is about 100%...

You can schedule some long layovers in Mexico City which would allow you to explore the city since you can reach the Zocalo via metro, 45 minutes to an hour both ways and see the Cathedral, National Palace and Rivera Murals, and the Templo Mayor or if you have some more time you can venture out to Teotihuacán which is an ancient Mesoamerican city located 30 miles (50 km) northeast of modern-day Mexico City.

If you are collecting status with Delta then on JFK-EZE you would earn 20022 MQMs 5339 MQDs 3.67 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 58731 RDMs, Platinum 48053 RDMs, Gold 42714 RDMs, Silver 37374 RDMs, Base 26696 RDMs

For those collecting status with Air France/FlyingBlue you would obtain 108 XPs (30 XPs for EZE-MEX and 24 XPs each way for MEX-JFK)
Book Flights Here!

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page.
Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Finally! Congrats on the find!
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
Aeroméxico has a sale from JFK to EZE via Mexico City. Argentina is opening up slowly to tourists and is super cheap with the parallel currency exchange rate (dolar blue). Just don't use a foreign credit card here under any circumstances since the gap between official and parallel rates is about 100%...
This is a good deal, and Argentina is a compelling destination. I'm not up to speed on the currency situation, though, so could you please expand on the points you make here on the dollar blue and what a "foreign" credit card is in this context?

Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLEguy View Post
This is a good deal, and Argentina is a compelling destination. I'm not up to speed on the currency situation, though, so could you please expand on the points you make here on the dollar blue and what a "foreign" credit card is in this context?

Thanks!
If you go to Google and check the Argentine peso exchange rate it's going to give you a value of 80 pesos to the US dollar but the real rate that you get if you were to exchange a physical bill would be closer to 150 pesos to the US dollar the way to get pesos at a good rate is to actually send yourself money via Western Union or Xoom to pick up in person in Argentina and that allows you to have a rate that is close to the street value.

Any credit card that you would use in Argentina would give you an exchange rate at the official rate of 80 pesos to the dollar versus the real rate of 150.

​​​​​If possible send yourself money or bring physical bills to exchange so you can sell your hotel bill in Argentine pesos pay at restaurant in Argentine pesos etc.

The bad thing is now in the local currency the largest bill is 1,000 pesos which is worth about $6.
Old Dec 10, 20, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 15cats View Post
Finally! Congrats on the find!
amazingly the layovers aren't that bad, if you want lie flat all the way you can do it but with much longer layovers...
Old Dec 10, 20, 7:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
And again, you are screwed by AM if they cancel the flight.
BryanIAH likes this.
Old Dec 10, 20, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
... the way to get pesos at a good rate is to actually send yourself money via Western Union or Xoom to pick up in person in Argentina and that allows you to have a rate that is close to the street value.
I had no idea Western Union would/could pay out in blue pesos. Is this the case? That would be a blessing: I never felt entirely comfortable being led to hole-in-the-wall cambios off Florida. Plain-sailing, never a hint of any problems: but there again, I'm not deaing in amounts that might excite bad behaviour.

And congratulations, jfkeze, on publishing a JfKEZE post
Captain Canuck and bratclif like this.
Old Dec 10, 20, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I had no idea Western Union would/could pay out in blue pesos. Is this the case? That would be a blessing: I never felt entirely comfortable being led to hole-in-the-wall cambios off Florida. Plain-sailing, never a hint of any problems: but there again, I'm not deaing in amounts that might excite bad behaviour.

And congratulations, jfkeze, on publishing a JfKEZE post
Yeap and you can collect in plenty of shops... The only bad thing is that sometimes they don't have lots of pesos early in the morning... But you can reach out to a branch if you know them and they prep the cash... At least that's the case in Cañitas which is my base or operations and a nice part of town...
Today WU gives you 173 ARS per EUR...
Old Dec 10, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
If you go to Google and check the Argentine peso exchange rate it's going to give you a value of 80 pesos to the US dollar but the real rate that you get if you were to exchange a physical bill would be closer to 150 pesos to the US dollar the way to get pesos at a good rate is to actually send yourself money via Western Union or Xoom to pick up in person in Argentina and that allows you to have a rate that is close to the street value.

Any credit card that you would use in Argentina would give you an exchange rate at the official rate of 80 pesos to the dollar versus the real rate of 150.

​​​​​If possible send yourself money or bring physical bills to exchange so you can sell your hotel bill in Argentine pesos pay at restaurant in Argentine pesos etc.

The bad thing is now in the local currency the largest bill is 1,000 pesos which is worth about $6.
Good to know, thanks. Would western chain hotels (eg, Park Hyatt) permit payment in cash or do such an exchange?
Old Dec 10, 20, 3:52 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by tkelvin69 View Post
And again, you are screwed by AM if they cancel the flight.
From this morning's email:

"You are receiving this email because you have been identified by Grupo Aeroméxico, S.A.B. de C.V. (doing business as Aeroméxico, the “Debtors”) as a customer who purchased a ticket or tickets one year prior to June 30, 2020, the date Aeroméxico filed bankruptcy. The fact that you have received this notice does not mean that you have a claim or that Aeroméxico or the Bankruptcy Court believe that you have a claim against Aeroméxico."

My saga to claim funds for cancelled AM flights continues.
Old Dec 11, 20, 10:22 am

Great find as usual, and your namesake Also in May, ORD-SCL can be found sub-$1500 with a great connection on the way back. I personally love MEX, so I would add a stopover on the outbound for a bit more.

Old Dec 11, 20, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

If you are collecting status with Delta then on LAX-EZE you would earn 18411 MQMs 4910 MQDs 2.98 MQD Ratio while Delta Diamond members would obtain 54006 RDMs, Platinum 44186 RDMs, Gold 39277 RDMs, Silver 24367 RDMs, Base 24548 RDMs

For those collecting status with Air France/FlyingBlue you would obtain 90 XPs (30 XPs for EZE-MEX and 15 XPs each way for MEX-LAX)
Book Flights Here!

Search this Thread