Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL/LA: ORD to GIG/SDU from $1043

DL/LA: ORD to GIG/SDU from $1043

Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Aha ok thanks for the clarification!
While I realize my mistake, unless you're walking to GIG, there is no security difference between the two. In fact, SDU is walking distance to the known-as-very-dangerous Downtown area of Rio. I stayed at the Novotel SDU a few times for extended periods. Suuuuper quiet around there at holidays and weekends, which in Rio is not a good thing for walking to/from Metro, dinner, etc. Walking from SDU to the hotel took less than 5 minutes but is not for the faint of heart! You never know who will be on the overpass bridge each time you walk across.....
That said, nothing happened to me. I dress down in Brazil, flip flops and a tank top, and carry a 5 year old nearly-obsolete phone, and just one credit card. That's it.
I'm about to fly into SDU. Planning to take private transport to my hotel. I assume, then, I should just take a regular taxi? Or do you have a better recommendation? I snagged an AA special for under $1300 in Premium Economy. Mix of business and some relaxing next week. SDU was the only thing available. No GIG until December (from DFW)

I had my choice of Rio of Sao Paulo for my business side, by the way, and my contacts advised me that the crime was worse in Sao Paulo. Now I am hearing opposite. I suppose in any world city, being smart and staying out of seedy areas, not carrying cash, etc. helps.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
I'm about to fly into SDU. Planning to take private transport to my hotel. I assume, then, I should just take a regular taxi? Or do you have a better recommendation? I snagged an AA special for under $1300 in Premium Economy. Mix of business and some relaxing next week. SDU was the only thing available. No GIG until December (from DFW)

I had my choice of Rio of Sao Paulo for my business side, by the way, and my contacts advised me that the crime was worse in Sao Paulo. Now I am hearing opposite. I suppose in any world city, being smart and staying out of seedy areas, not carrying cash, etc. helps.
Where is your hotel?
Rio is fine especially if you dress down/ beachy and don't carry anything you wouldn't mind losing. I've been there at least 12 times and no problems. Have seen bag/phone snatchings, etc, but really it's fine.
I almost exclusively use Uber in Brazil, you get picked up at SDU at the Uber Center there just outside the terminal at the shopping center area. When using it to/from restaurants and hotels and shopping centers, it's just so nice because you can wait inside and just go out when Uber arrives. And you don't need cash or credit cards to use Uber!
If you need any help send me a PM. Have a GREAT time! Food, beach, people, and sightseeing..... Rio is awesome.
IstKong likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Where is your hotel?
Rio is fine especially if you dress down/ beachy and don't carry anything you wouldn't mind losing. I've been there at least 12 times and no problems. Have seen bag/phone snatchings, etc, but really it's fine.
I almost exclusively use Uber in Brazil, you get picked up at SDU at the Uber Center there just outside the terminal at the shopping center area. When using it to/from restaurants and hotels and shopping centers, it's just so nice because you can wait inside and just go out when Uber arrives. And you don't need cash or credit cards to use Uber!
If you need any help send me a PM. Have a GREAT time! Food, beach, people, and sightseeing..... Rio is awesome.
Awesome! Thank you for this info. I may PM you as I think of things. Just now getting in that mode as I wind down from work here in the States this week. Great point about Uber, too. Hotel is in Copacabana area, and with other business connections, so I feel very safe there, but being female, I practice extra caution. I never carry a bag anyway. Learned that traveling in Paris and other big cities. You have me very excited! Not the most ideal time to travel, but I plan to make the most of it! Appreciate it!
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:27 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Where is your hotel?
I agree Uber is cheap and reliable. There is a uber rank just outside the bossa nova mall (connected to SDU airport).

Also agree that Rio is wonderful, cannot wait to go back.

Didn't have any safety issue while sticking to the Zona Sul/Barra da Tijuca and Centro on working hours. Touristic places in Rio are pretty safe.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rio is fantastic, did a long President’s weekend there in Feb before the world fell apart on a ~$1200 J fare on DL.
While we generally had good Uber experiences there were some dodgy cars; taxis are great too - also cheap and usually in good condition, but I think you need cash. We did a taxi from SDU because I didn’t want to have to find the Uber pickup area. We departed GIG and did Uber because we left the hotel at like 6am and I didn’t have cash left.

Lots of general info/recos in the Brazil forum too.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Rio is fantastic, did a long President’s weekend there in Feb before the world fell apart on a ~$1200 J fare on DL.
While we generally had good Uber experiences there were some dodgy cars; taxis are great too - also cheap and usually in good condition, but I think you need cash. We did a taxi from SDU because I didn’t want to have to find the Uber pickup area. We departed GIG and did Uber because we left the hotel at like 6am and I didn’t have cash left.

Lots of general info/recos in the Brazil forum too.
I'll have to be the one disagreeing on this forum, but I was profoundly underwhelmed by Rio. I enjoyed Sugar Loaf and SDU as an avgeek, but otherwise it reminded me of Jakarta; loud, crowded, dirty and chaotic.

If anyone is headed to GIG or SDU, fly to IGU or IGR soon after. IMO, far better.
UAPremierGuy and 15cats like this.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Is this fare dead? Can't find anything past December in Google Flights
Old Nov 20, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Three weeks ago I found the same fare on google flights out of JFK down to GRU on DL lir flats non-stop. It only lasted a few hours though, so was not worth posting here. Unfortunately I did not book.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
This morning I still saw a few days in December but nothing more
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I haven't been able to find anything for the last week or so for 2021. I managed to snag one seat, but couldn't get a second one for the SO, so ended up skipping it.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by jfkeze
This morning I still saw a few days in December but nothing more
Originally Posted by Antarius
I haven't been able to find anything for the last week or so for 2021. I managed to snag one seat, but couldn't get a second one for the SO, so ended up skipping it.
Yeah, I was looking for something in that April timeframe but looks like it's dead.
Antarius likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.