FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   ARN-PVG with LX in business for €1095 rtn (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/2021048-arn-pvg-lx-business-1095-rtn.html)

Travel-Quinten Jul 5, 2020 12:01 pm

ARN-PVG with LX in business for €1095 rtn

Not sure when China will be an attractive destination again, but LH & LX have a business class sale from Stockholm & Gotenburg to Shanghai till mid-Dec 2020.

Example booking: https://www.kayak.de/flights/ARN,GOT...t=bestflight_a

IstKong Jul 5, 2020 12:46 pm

That's a pretty normal fare ex-Scandinavia to Asia.

Also, it books into P, not very lucrative for miles.

Given the travel situation, I think we can expect 20-30% more discount on these tickets, with such uncertainties and the hassle to get a refund/reschedule.

pogonation Jul 5, 2020 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by IstKong (Post 32509903)

Given the travel situation, I think we can expect 20-30% more discount on these tickets, with such uncertainties and the hassle to get a refund/reschedule.

Good fare, thanks for posting. Ignore the poster above raining on your parade. It is not pretty normal for fares ex Scandinavia.. Yes there are often low fares found in sales but usually around the £1200-£1400 range. Pretty rare to get a <£1000 fare.

20-30% discount on a fare like this??.. Good luck getting £700 J fares to China. The only thing I agree with is that P sucks and there is still a lot of uncertainty.

Also HKG available for an extra £80.

Travel-Quinten Jul 5, 2020 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by IstKong (Post 32509903)

The fare between OSL/ARN/GOT/HEL to PVG/HKG would normally be around €1200-400 or so. I therefore think something around €1100 on LX is worth posting. I'll leave it to you whether it's worth it for you :)
If flying, note that the P fare on LX accrues much more than P class on Lufthansa. It's 100% in most programmes.

NextWhiteDeath Jul 5, 2020 2:10 pm

It is as always a good price but for LH group nothing out of the ordinary. As mentioned before it is the not so helpful P class. If LH fligth avoided might earn something.

IstKong Jul 5, 2020 2:12 pm

I've been watching fares out of ARN-CPH-OSL-GOT-HEL for months and I always have found at least a flight to BKK/HKG/SIN/CGK... between 1000€ and 1300€. I even saw Qatar to Singapore for 1200€, Finnair to SIN/HKG for 1100€, AF/KLM to SIN for the same price etc... And those are not LH group booking into P so they are much much more lucrative for miles/status.

LH/LX to Asia (mainland China included) in P class for this price is really normal from Scandinavian airports. You can sometimes even get this price from AMS/MAD/BCN...

So it is a pretty normal fare to Asia. Sure it is a good one, but it has been posted a lot of times here, because those ex-Scandinavia fares always comes back.

And given the uncertainty, I'm sure very few people are wanting to pay the same price for a ticket that has been around when everything was running normally.

I would not book anything in business class that is not heavily discounted, especially if this involves positioning, before all these uncertainties are gone (except for mandatory trips).

You don't know if you will be able to travel (with all the refund/reschedule/vouchers mess if there is still travel restrictions), and if you can travel, you don't know what kind of service you will have in J, what will be the value of the miles then, how lounges will operate, etc...

And unfortunately (and I regret it very much), things are not looking to improve quickly pandemic-wise, and December is not that far away in the calendar. I'm not even sure we will have transatlantic travel resuming for tourists/short business visit by December between EU and USA, so to Asia...

IstKong Jul 5, 2020 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten (Post 32510078)
The fare between OSL/ARN/GOT/HEL to PVG/HKG would normally be around €1200-400 or so. I therefore think something around €1100 on LX is worth posting. I'll leave it to you whether it's worth it for you :)
If flying, note that the P fare on LX accrues much more than P class on Lufthansa. It's 100% in most programmes.

So we are looking at 200€ discount (at the very most), to book a 1100€ ticket with a huge eventuality of massive travel restrictions and uncertainties on airlines operations. In my opinion, it's worth it only if you don't need to position and you have a compelling reason to go to HKG/PVG. For others, it's not a bargain, but most likely a ticket to LH Group hotline.

NextWhiteDeath Jul 5, 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by IstKong (Post 32510107)
So we are looking at 200€ discount (at the very most), to book a 1100€ ticket with a huge eventuality of massive travel restrictions and uncertainties on airlines operations. In my opinion, it's worth it only if you don't need to position and you have a compelling reason to go to HKG/PVG. For others, it's not a bargain, but most likely a ticket to LH Group hotline.

Well I feel like it is a bit more of a discount then seen as a lot of the time the cheap tickets ex-ARN were companion fares. Which was always a pain if you were traveling solo or odd number of people. GF also always lied about the true price because it took the companion fare as the true price.

warakorn Jul 5, 2020 3:10 pm

I would advise against any longhaul travel in 2021. LX will have to significantly trim down their longhaul network. If you flight get cancelled, do not expect LX to refund back your ticket money.

Jayz_004 Jul 6, 2020 7:43 am

There's also the uncertainty of once weekly flights to China at the moment. So if you do book, make sure to book the day the approved flight falls on. Hopefully that restriction gets lifted soon.

flyerCO Jul 6, 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 32510193)
I would advise against any longhaul travel in 2021. LX will have to significantly trim down their longhaul network. If you flight get cancelled, do not expect LX to refund back your ticket money.

Why? Unless CV19 is still rampant there's no reason to not travel in 2021. Next its unlikely business destinations like PVG get cancelled. They're already slowly coming back. Lastly, if flight is canceled a refund is required by law. The airlines tried to get away due to CV19 not refunding. The EU said no, must still refund.

To keep OT, I agree it's an ok fare, decent, but not greatest.

MKBshaw Jul 6, 2020 10:23 pm

If you aren't planning/advising others to not fly longhaul until 2022, why even bother spending time on these forums?

JC880 Jul 7, 2020 12:16 am

This is a very good price. I used to fly the route every two months (I live in Shanghai, but originally from Stockholm).

BUT - China has entry restrictions for all foreigners (exceptions for senior executives and experts China see as essential for important projects - and even for these quarantine is required).

The current view (communicated by various chambers of commerce in China) is that these restrictions will be lifted in November at the earliest (this can of course change).

Tell_Me_Why Jul 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Well I would not be that positive. China is trying everything to reduce new cases even at the cost of stopping its own nationals coming back(insane right?). As long as most of countries are not free from coronavirus, I personally don't think China is gonna lift its restriction. Even they do lift entry-restrictions this year, the 14-day-qurantine would still be a huge waste of time. But who knows, maybe the virus may disappear one day like a miracle or we have a vaccine this year

Goaguy Jul 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Som of us, unfortunately, are no able to just stay at home. We have urgent and very important reasons to travel. But I agree, I wouldn't book anything far in advance.
​​​​​​