Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

YUL-Hawaii sub $1K USD ($1,329 CAD) is back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YUL-Hawaii sub $1K USD ($1,329 CAD) is back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:48 am

According to reports this morning, Hawaii is dropping the 14 day quarantine once you have a recent clear COVID test, but I think it’s only for travel from other states
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:22 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
According to reports this morning, Hawaii is dropping the 14 day quarantine once you have a recent clear COVID test, but I think it’s only for travel from other states
According to the source at the bottom here, "Officials say that the Health Department is still in the process of developing this program but anticipates requiring an FDA-approved PCR test from a CLIA certified laboratory." So I assume from other states only unless other countries have the same test and lab settings.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/tr...ing-to-hawaii/
Old Jun 25, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
And if you’re European and transit through Canada?
If you are flying internationally into Canada from other than the US, you can only arrive at 4 designated Canadian Airports. YUL, YYZ, YYC & YVR. Travel into Canada is not possible for non-essential purposes if you are not a Canadian National or Permanent Resident. A 14-day self-quarentine is required for all non-essential travelers who can legally enter Canada.

Transiting Canada is possible but I believe it must be on one iitinerary so a seperate ticket to Canada to "transit" onwards on a second ticket would not be permitted. You would likely be denied boarding in Europe with the scope of your itinerary terminating in Canada.

While the land border between Canada and the United States remains closed to non-essential travel (I wouldn't be surprised to see the closure remain in place for the balace of the year) Canadians can fly into the US for non-essential purposes but will be required to self-quarentine for 14 days on their return to Canada. The same cannot be said for Americans or other Nationals traveling to Canada from the US. That is restricted to essential travelers only.

Furthermore, all aliens that have been in the Europe Schengen area within the prior 14 days would be prohibited from entering the US.

It isn't looking good for a European who can't enter Canada & can't enter the US if coming from Europe within the last 14 days.

COVID-19 restrictions US visas & entry.
  1. European Schengen Area Proclamation. March 11, 2020 - Proclamation 9993 of March 11, 2020, published at 85 FR 15045 (March 16, 2020). "The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the Schengen Area during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation... This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020." Although in his address President Trump reportedly said the ban would last 30 days, the proclamation language itself states that it "shall remain in effect until terminated by the President."
    • Note: the European Schengen area includes Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
  2. Ireland and United Kingdom Proclamation. March 14, 2020 - Proclamation 9996 of March 14, 2020, published at 85 FR 15341 (March 18, 2020). Covers England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. "The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited ... This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020."
James
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:45 am
Formerly known as tireman77
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gspurr
This fare has been available from YYZ on and off over at least the past couple of years
I've been seeing similar prices ($1500-$1800 CAD) almost all the time, but always 2 stops on recliners with wonky connections. The EWR lieflat hasn't been at these prices in a while, for what I've seen.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is not going to be happening any time soon - if anything, they may open up travel to visitors from specific countries with super low risk. Canada is not going to be on that list, nor will other Americans from the mainland be included.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is not going to be happening any time soon - if anything, they may open up travel to visitors from specific countries with super low risk. Canada is not going to be on that list, nor will other Americans from the mainland be included.
How can you be so certain on these two points?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mileageking
How can you be so certain on these two points?
I am certain that as of this time, there is no plan with any timeline to open Hawai'i up to visitors from anywhere. I am going to post that IF such a plan is ever brought into operation, the only visitors allowed will be from countries or locations with minimal risk, like Taiwan or New Zealand and no where else. They will certainly not allow visitors from the mainland given the explosion in cases, and Canada isn't that clean either, but it doesn't matter - for the purposes of this fare, since you would be flying from Canada to Hawai'i via a US airport, regardless of where you began your journey, by arriving on a plane from the US mainland, you will be quarantined by the same rules that apply to others on that flight. The fact that you started the trip in YYZ or YUL is irrelevant.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:47 pm

I am certain that as of this time, there is no plan with any timeline to open Hawai'i up to visitors from anywhere. I am going to post that IF such a plan is ever brought into operation, the only visitors allowed will be from countries or locations with minimal risk, like Taiwan or New Zealand and no where else. They will certainly not allow visitors from the mainland given the explosion in cases, and Canada isn't that clean either, but it doesn't matter - for the purposes of this fare, since you would be flying from Canada to Hawai'i via a US airport, regardless of where you began your journey, by arriving on a plane from the US mainland, you will be quarantined by the same rules that apply to others on that flight. The fact that you started the trip in YYZ or YUL is irrelevant.
Your "certainty at this time" may have been true if you hadn't researched the topic before posting. As it turns out, your certainty isn't very certain at all. Effective August 1st, the quarentine will be lifted for passengers arriving for leisure purposes providing they test negative for COVID-19 no more than 72 hours before traveling.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 25, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:01 pm

Canadians are free to travel to HI now with or without the quarentine measures. Canadians have never been prohibited from entering the US via air. They are, however, bound by the COVID-19 measures set, in place, by the State/County governments. I could fly to Hawaii today, if I wanted to, but would be required to self-quarentine just like any other non-essential traveler. August 1st, that requirement will be rescinded.

Itinially, Hawaii was looking at implementing a "travel bubble" for countries with a well managed approach to keeping the spread to a minimum. That is no longer needed as it will be superceded by the latest government guidelines.

James
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Your "certainty at this time" may be true if you hadn't researched the topic before posting. As it turns out, your certainty isn't very certain at all. Effective August 1st, the quarentine will be lifted for passengers arriving for leisure purposes providing they test negative for COVID-19 no more than 72 hours before traveling.

James
I had been researching the topic quite extensively, as I've been waiting to return to Hawai'i myself - the original plan was a trans-pacific program starting with a travel bubble between Hawai'i and Japan only. As of today, it appears that plan was amended to anyone who provides a clear test result from a testing center approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health - note this probably does not include travelers from Canada unless there are testing facilities or labs in Canada which are specifically authorized by the Department of Health to provide the test, so I wouldn't be loading up on these tickets yet until the policy is completely clear before August 1 - and given the sudden increase in cases across the USA, the policy may still be delayed. If there are no testing centers in Canada which are specifically approved by the State of Hawai'i, you'll need to fly to the USA mainland first, follow any required quarantine procedures on arrival depending on which state you arrive, then within a 72hr period, get a coronavirus test which is negative, and then continue your journey to Hawai'i - then when you return to Canada, don't you need to quarantine for another 14 days regardless?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 5:10 pm

...August 1st, that requirement will be rescinded.
Only if you have a copy of a negative coronavirus test from a testing center approved specifically by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health. If you go to your local doctor in Canada who does the test for you at their lab, which is not on the approved list, you will be subject to the 14 day quarantine requirement.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:37 pm

I had been researching the topic quite extensively, as I've been waiting to return to Hawai'i myself - the original plan was a trans-pacific program starting with a travel bubble between Hawai'i and Japan only. As of today, it appears that plan was amended to anyone who provides a clear test result from a testing center approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health - note this probably does not include travelers from Canada unless there are testing facilities or labs in Canada which are specifically authorized by the Department of Health to provide the test, so I wouldn't be loading up on these tickets yet until the policy is completely clear before August 1 - and given the sudden increase in cases across the USA, the policy may still be delayed. If there are no testing centers in Canada which are specifically approved by the State of Hawai'i, you'll need to fly to the USA mainland first, follow any required quarantine procedures on arrival depending on which state you arrive, then within a 72hr period, get a coronavirus test which is negative, and then continue your journey to Hawai'i - then when you return to Canada, don't you need to quarantine for another 14 days regardless?
Yes, there will be a 14-day quarentine for a Canadian returning home at this time. That is a good thing! Are you suggesting that passengers would have to self-quarentine for 14-days arriving directly in Hawaii from Japan if their testing facilities weren't approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health?

Has your research concluded that testing centres in Japan are approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health? If not, then a trip to the mainland would be necessitated with a sufficient stopover to have testing completed before continuing onto Hawaii. That doesn't seem very efficient. Your "probably" isn't very convincing.

Only if you have a copy of a negative coronavirus test from a testing center approved specifically by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health. If you go to your local doctor in Canada who does the test for you at their lab, which is not on the approved list, you will be subject to the 14 day quarantine requirement.
Another assumption! You obviously don't have any understanding of the medical system in British Columbia. Doctors in British Columbia Canada don't have their own labs. Hospitals do. Doctors provide a requistion to have a test completed at a Provincial testing facility or in a hospital. The results are entered into a Provincial Database and accessible by the Doctor and the patient. If I need hospitalization or need to see a Doctor other than my family Doctor, all my medical history, medications I have been perscribed, triplicate narcotic requisitions, sugeries, alergies, "et al" are immediately at their fingertips. COVID-19 testing is also available to anyone that wants it. A doctor's requisition is not required.

I don't think that making assumptions until all the details are revealed is very productive. I also wanted to point out again that Canadians have never been prohibited from traveling to the United States via air for non-essential reasons at anytime during the pandemic. In the unlikely event that Hawaii doesn't recognize a Canadian Provincial lab result, I will just travel to my US home and get the test there. Given the facts known thus far, I don't agree with your certainty or probabilities.

James
Old Jun 25, 2020, 8:28 pm

Yes, there will be a 14-day quarentine for a Canadian returning home at this time. That is a good thing! Are you suggesting that passengers would have to self-quarentine for 14-days arriving directly in Hawaii from Japan if their testing facilities weren't approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health?

Has your research concluded that testing centres in Japan are approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health? If not, then a trip to the mainland would be necessitated with a sufficient stopover to have testing completed before continuing onto Hawaii. That doesn't seem very efficient. Your "probably" isn't very convincing....
The official announcement from the Governor's office which supersedes the prior plan states that test results used to bypass the mandatory quarantine must be from a lab facility which is specifically approved by the State of Hawai'i Department of Health. I suggest reviewing the Governor's order for specifics. So, yes that means if a Japanese national arrived in Honolulu directly from Tokyo and either did not have a test result, or had a result from a lab in Japan that was not on the State's approved list, then yes, they will need to quarantine for 14 days. The same goes for travelers from Canada.

I have no idea which labs or test centers are or are not approved by the State - that is the responsibility of the individual traveler to confirm. All I know is what is in the Governor's updated order issued today.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I've been seeing similar prices ($1500-$1800 CAD) almost all the time, but always 2 stops on recliners with wonky connections. The EWR lieflat hasn't been at these prices in a while, for what I've seen.
It's always been available ex-YHZ, although availability was very thin compared to options ex-YYZ.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:33 pm

Hopefully no one booked this for the summer:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Hawaii-pushes-back-new-visitor-testing-plan-15405793.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.