Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

Old May 28, 2020, 1:21 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Arrow FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

I'm seeing a lot of fares out of Europe to North America on Icelandair A/E class (Premium Saga) for under $1200. I'm sure there are many city combinations available, but the best I have found so far is TXL to SEA for around $1180 (1084 EUR). Flights book into A / E class.

Dates and destinations seem to be wide open. You can also book directly with Icelandair for this price and include a free stopover of up to 7 days in Iceland.

Note that Icelandair's business product features recliner seats similar to domestic first class or international premium economy. They are not lie-flat. However the flight times coincide well with day-time (I won't be sleeping) and the connections at least for my TXL BER -> SEA itinerary were short at 1:30.

Slightly more expensive deals to the west coast have been available lately on all major carriers from select cities (namely SOF and RIX) with very long layovers. This the cheapest flight I have seen with good availability across Europe and reasonable layovers.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:31 pm

This also works in reverse from some cities (ORD and EWR from a quick search so far) for around the same price.
Old May 28, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I'm seeing a lot of fares out of Europe to North America on Icelandair A/E class (Premium Saga) for under $1200. I'm sure there are many city combinations available, but the best I have found so far is TXL to SEA for around $1180 (1084 EUR). Flights book into A / E class.

Dates and destinations seem to be wide open. You can also book directly with Icelandair for this price and include a free stopover of up to 7 days in Iceland.

Note that Icelandair's business product features recliner seats similar to domestic first class or international premium economy. They are not lie-flat. However the flight times coincide well with day-time (I won't be sleeping) and the connections at least for my TXL BER -> SEA itinerary were short at 1:30.

Slightly more expensive deals to the west coast have been available lately on all major carriers from select cities (namely SOF and RIX) with very long layovers. This the cheapest flight I have seen with good availability across Europe and reasonable layovers.
Somewhat off-topic, but, TXL is closing next month. So these flights will presumably out of BER?
Old May 29, 2020, 12:53 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Somewhat off-topic, but, TXL is closing next month. So these flights will presumably out of BER?
Yes, or probably from SXF until BER opens. TXL is still being used as the airport code in the meantime it seems.

It can get confusing because some flight search sites won't accept BER for all Berlin airports.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:25 am

Repeat after me; Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
Mcflyneo and sab017 like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Repeat after me; Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
sab017, Java Cool Dude and Thysk like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Depending on whether you like glasses which are half full or half empty, Icelandair can have either a high quality premium economy or a low quality business class.

It's also not redeemable on any FF program (apart from I am told perhaps Alaska?)
Old May 31, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
It's much more of a business class than Icelandair's competitors. All European airlines that even fly to KEF with business class, have the plain vanilla three abreast with middle seat blocked.
Same is true with the US carriers. Only AA actually has lie-flat configured planes to KEF. Others use domestic configurations and sell the US "fake-first" as business class. Not that this matters, because non of them are flying to Iceland this year.
Thus, Icelandair certainly does have business class.
-
DJ
Old May 31, 2020, 8:17 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
It's also not redeemable on any FF program (apart from I am told perhaps Alaska?)
It's worth 125% of miles flown credited to AS, or 100% of miles flown when credited to B6 (but why would you do that when AS is an option?).

It seems that it may be situationally useful for some folks to mileage run for AS status, especially given the free stopover in Iceland should that be where you wish to take a vacation.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:58 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
It's worth 125% of miles flown credited to AS, or 100% of miles flown when credited to B6 (but why would you do that when AS is an option?).

It seems that it may be situationally useful for some folks to mileage run for AS status, especially given the free stopover in Iceland should that be where you wish to take a vacation.
This. I’m crediting to Alaska. The more direct routing and short layovers were also a factor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.