Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

Old May 28, 2020, 1:21 am
  #1  
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 624
Arrow FI: AMS / TXL / other Europe to LAX / SEA / other USA $1180 in Business

I'm seeing a lot of fares out of Europe to North America on Icelandair A/E class (Premium Saga) for under $1200. I'm sure there are many city combinations available, but the best I have found so far is TXL to SEA for around $1180 (1084 EUR). Flights book into A / E class.

Dates and destinations seem to be wide open. You can also book directly with Icelandair for this price and include a free stopover of up to 7 days in Iceland.

Note that Icelandair's business product features recliner seats similar to domestic first class or international premium economy. They are not lie-flat. However the flight times coincide well with day-time (I won't be sleeping) and the connections at least for my TXL BER -> SEA itinerary were short at 1:30.

Slightly more expensive deals to the west coast have been available lately on all major carriers from select cities (namely SOF and RIX) with very long layovers. This the cheapest flight I have seen with good availability across Europe and reasonable layovers.
danielflyer is offline  
Old May 28, 2020, 5:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: CVG
Posts: 7
This also works in reverse from some cities (ORD and EWR from a quick search so far) for around the same price.
Novice Backpacker is offline  
Old May 28, 2020, 5:58 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SJC / DPS
Programs: AS G100K, UA Silver
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
I'm seeing a lot of fares out of Europe to North America on Icelandair A/E class (Premium Saga) for under $1200. I'm sure there are many city combinations available, but the best I have found so far is TXL to SEA for around $1180 (1084 EUR). Flights book into A / E class.

Dates and destinations seem to be wide open. You can also book directly with Icelandair for this price and include a free stopover of up to 7 days in Iceland.

Note that Icelandair's business product features recliner seats similar to domestic first class or international premium economy. They are not lie-flat. However the flight times coincide well with day-time (I won't be sleeping) and the connections at least for my TXL BER -> SEA itinerary were short at 1:30.

Slightly more expensive deals to the west coast have been available lately on all major carriers from select cities (namely SOF and RIX) with very long layovers. This the cheapest flight I have seen with good availability across Europe and reasonable layovers.
Somewhat off-topic, but, TXL is closing next month. So these flights will presumably out of BER?
pushmyredbutton is offline  
Old May 29, 2020, 12:53 am
  #4  
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Somewhat off-topic, but, TXL is closing next month. So these flights will presumably out of BER?
Yes, or probably from SXF until BER opens. TXL is still being used as the airport code in the meantime it seems.

It can get confusing because some flight search sites won't accept BER for all Berlin airports.
danielflyer is offline  
Old May 30, 2020, 11:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 748
Repeat after me; Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
Mcflyneo and sab017 like this.
Java Cool Dude is offline  
Old May 30, 2020, 10:22 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,263
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Repeat after me; Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
sab017, Java Cool Dude and Thysk like this.
Flying for Fun is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 5:33 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Somewhere between BHX and HUY
Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Posts: 1,740
Depending on whether you like glasses which are half full or half empty, Icelandair can have either a high quality premium economy or a low quality business class.

It's also not redeemable on any FF program (apart from I am told perhaps Alaska?)
Maestro Ramen is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 7:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ATL/KEF/HEL
Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Repeat after me; Icelandair does not have business class, it's premium economy at best!
It's much more of a business class than Icelandair's competitors. All European airlines that even fly to KEF with business class, have the plain vanilla three abreast with middle seat blocked.
Same is true with the US carriers. Only AA actually has lie-flat configured planes to KEF. Others use domestic configurations and sell the US "fake-first" as business class. Not that this matters, because non of them are flying to Iceland this year.
Thus, Icelandair certainly does have business class.
-
DJ
docjones is offline  
Old May 31, 2020, 8:17 pm
  #9  
VFR
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: BOS
Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Posts: 2,092
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
It's also not redeemable on any FF program (apart from I am told perhaps Alaska?)
It's worth 125% of miles flown credited to AS, or 100% of miles flown when credited to B6 (but why would you do that when AS is an option?).

It seems that it may be situationally useful for some folks to mileage run for AS status, especially given the free stopover in Iceland should that be where you wish to take a vacation.
VFR is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:58 am
  #10  
formerly Sleepy_Sentry
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by VFR
It's worth 125% of miles flown credited to AS, or 100% of miles flown when credited to B6 (but why would you do that when AS is an option?).

It seems that it may be situationally useful for some folks to mileage run for AS status, especially given the free stopover in Iceland should that be where you wish to take a vacation.
This. Iím crediting to Alaska. The more direct routing and short layovers were also a factor.
danielflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.