Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

DL: Domestic J fare class BOS-SFO for $600

Old May 23, 2020, 11:23 pm
VFR
Original Poster

Programs: AA PP, DL PM

This is likely situationally useful, but someone may need a bunch of MQMs on DL or status points in a DL partner program (VS perhaps if they stay around, it earns 400% of milage flown in RDM). DL is rolling over everyone's MQMs to next year as well, so that could be an opportunity.

Delta seems to have a non-refundable fare in the J fare class for the east to west coast in July / August for about $600. The routing rules look pretty flexible; I could find a routing (below) that covers 7621 miles, which in J would earn 15242 MQMs.

deovrat, narvik and skippie687 like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Spectacularly nice fare, in particular booking into J class. Also available for many other cities, e.g. LAX, SEA, LAS. Crediting to VS is netting a LOT of RDMs. Very tempting, possible to get below 9 cpm.
Fares also from other East coast hubs such as NYC.

Last edited by cfischer; May 24, 2020 at 8:58 am
Old May 24, 2020, 9:30 am
Suspended

JetBlue has BOS-LAX in Mint for less than $600.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
JetBlue has BOS-LAX in Mint for less than $600.
On a roundtrip ticket? Can you share a date? The cheapest I see on ITA is $1097.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steveholt
On a roundtrip ticket? Can you share a date? The cheapest I see on ITA is $1097.
Sorry, I missed the "roundtrip" from the title of this thread. The JetBlue fare is one-way.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Just keep in mind this is a standard domestic F product, not transcon J with lie-flats. Still a decent fare for the miles though.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:13 pm
VFR
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
Spectacularly nice fare, in particular booking into J class. Also available for many other cities, e.g. LAX, SEA, LAS. Crediting to VS is netting a LOT of RDMs. Very tempting, possible to get below 9 cpm.
Fares also from other East coast hubs such as NYC.
From wheretocredit.com and eyeballing the value of each program's points, it seems that the best place to credit DL J for RDMs is VS.

I've been trying to figure out in which partner program DL J gets you the most bang for your buck in terms of elite qualifying instruments; here's what I have:

1. DL - Earning 15k MQMs that roll over into 2021 is nice, but MQDs don't roll over. Generally it is easier to fulfill the MQD requirement in DL's program than the MQM requirement (especially flying VS-marketed V fares), but even 15k doesn't get you that far.
2. VS - I think this gets you 240 tier points, so you still need 160 more to get to Silver, which seems underwhelming. You also only get benefits on VS/DL/KL/AF, not all of SkyTeam, and Sky Club access only when flying to/from the UK (if you get to Gold). Might go out of business.
3. VA - It requires 2/4/8 flights on VA metal, though it comes with some interesting benefits like SkyClub access when flying US domestic and upgrade points for VS/DL flights to Australia. I calculate you would get 360 status credits, which gets you Silver and close to Gold. All business fares earn the same. Already in administration and might go out of business.
4. LA - I couldn't figure out how their elite earning works on DL-marketed flights, and DL has not yet published a list of benefits. They still could be useful if you want to book awards on their former oneworld partners.
5. AF/KL - LOL. All flights within the same country earn on the "domestic" schedule, and all business fares earn the same, so 6 XP per segment. Benefits on DL are meh (lounge access only when flying INTL), but at least they are in SkyTeam.
6. AM - Not sure whether it's 100% of mileage that is elite qualifying or 200%, but it doesn't seem particularly attractive.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Just keep in mind this is a standard domestic F product, not transcon J with lie-flats. Still a decent fare for the miles though.
Correct, this fare specifically forbids traveling on any aircraft/route combination with D1 service.
Old May 24, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by VFR
Correct, this fare specifically forbids traveling on any aircraft/route combination with D1 service.
On the other hand, if you have a flight on this itinerary which gets cancelled or ruined by a schedule change, I suspect (but can not guarantee) you would have no trouble with DL re-booking you on a flight with D1.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Also the miles and bigger seat are basically the only thing you're getting, no alcohol, no meals, maybe a snack box.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Same day turn also possible (as in arrival - no redeye).

Available through late July it appears.

AA matching, but only through June; same day turn may not seem possible.
Old May 24, 2020, 6:11 pm
VFR
Original Poster

AA's matching fare books into R class. Notably this is available as an AAVacations special fare if you bundle a hotel, which earns 175% RDMs and 35% EQDs. A BOS-CLT-LAX itinerary would earn about 2,000 EQDs for $600 cash (with a throwaway hostel room for a night in LAX, bundled hotels are also available), not bad.

There are some more interesting opportunities for oneworld status, especially because OWS gives you Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge access domestically. If you credit to BA you get the bonus tier points for the long sector, so 360 tier points. The folks on the BA forums might be interested to know that this equates to 1.36 per tier point.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Just a reminder: only bottled water being served on Delta in domestic first class.
MaxVO likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
Just a reminder: only bottled water being served on Delta in domestic first class.
That could get uncomfortable on a long "scenic route".
af fp likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
so Delta has confirmed this will be there service level in July and August when this fare is valid?
Old May 25, 2020, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Category 14: Travel restrictions
TRAVEL ON THIS FARE COMPONENT MUST COMMENCE BY MIDNIGHT ON 31JUL 20.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.