Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

MH: India-Australia (various cities) from £986 j rt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Interesting fares from India to Australia, starting from approximately £986 return. Bookable until March next year.

Cheapest fares are from Cochin to Perth, but you can return from Melbourne or Sydney for not much more.

Google Flights sometimes shows “prices unavailable” from Malaysia Airlines, but you can book via Expedia:

Applicable cities include COK, BOM, HYD & PER, SYD, ADL, MEL.

The following link is a blog/website/social media page in which I have a financial interest. If you click on this link, cookies will be added to your device for an extended period of time and I may gain monetary returns if you follow this link or any other link on the blog/website/social media page.

Source: my blog Take Off With Guru
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:56 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
This fare has been discussed extensively in the past as this is the normal price for MH. Periodically they have promotions that can reduce the price up to 40% off for Business, which makes the deal better.
MH: DEL-KUL-PER/SYD/MEL in J from $1383USD
Keter likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: Alaska
No more start from DEL with Z fare. At least I could not get it from Del any more
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:34 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by freed0m
No more start from DEL with Z fare. At least I could not get it from Del any more
Not MH's fault, QF blocked Z fare on SYD-PER
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:18 am

Still seeing price unavailable on Google flights but can't see this fare from BOM. Anyone else has had better luck with flights departing from BOM?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Dominicus
This fare has been discussed extensively in the past as this is the normal price for MH. Periodically they have promotions that can reduce the price up to 40% off for Business, which makes the deal better.
MH: DEL-KUL-PER/SYD/MEL in J from $1383USD
(my bolding)

I'm not sure if I follow you here. Are you implying that £986 (equivalent of $1233.48) is the 'normal' price for this routing? If so, the periodical reduction of up to 40% off should mean tix to be sold for £591. When in the recent years has any rate like that ever appeared?

IMHO, we should all be grateful to OP, for the heads-up of a rate yet 11% lower than the reference thread quoted above.

Now, over to a quick check of the status of the e-visa implementation for India...
kyushuman and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:06 am

MH DEL to PER is probably the best BA Exec tier point per £$ trip you can do.

If you use ITA Matrix you can search DEL-PER fares via KUL & SYD. So instead of DEL-KUL-PER-KUL-DEL you can book DEL-KUL-SYD-PER-SYD-KUL-DEL. I've done this many times. It is available generally year round for approx £1300 and the best thing is every sector triggers 140 tier points for BA Exec Club. So one trip nets 840 tier points. If you fiddle with flights you can generally get A330 aircraft all the way around (some DEL-KUL and some SYD-PER sectors are 737's).

Obviously if you are euro based DEL isn't the easiest or cheapest place to position to. But if you look around sales can often come up for <£1k. My last trip I got a LHR-DEL deal on AZ via FCO for around £800 return and the time before Finnair AMS-DEL via HEL for around £800. With the Finnair example, once combined with MH DEL-PER via SYD I netted 1280 tier points in total for just over £2K.

Last edited by 108912; Apr 18, 2020 at 6:13 am
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 108912
... So one trip nets 840 tier points [at £1400].
UL and AUH/DXB CGK beats it quite comfortably, and unless you want to visit India, UAE is generally a better place to get to and (for most) it's visa-free.

Sadly, comfort isn't the best word to associate with the UL trip itself. And you'd need two round trips at £550-£750 a pop (there are sales ) to get the 1120 TPs.

But I guess unless you area a true MR junky, it boils down to good fares to places you want/need to visit. With TPs the icing on the cake.
108912, Rim1 and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:17 am

Totally. I've never done TP runs unless it will get me somewhere i'm happy to visit. Although i'm sure with the UL Jakarta deals one could make a nice lil Bali trip. I guess in my case i've had the intention and need to go to Australia anyway so DEL-PER via KUL & SYD flat bed all the way is a result.

I think what makes the MH ex DEL deals particularly solid is the same low fare tends to be available any time of year and throughout the year. I don't need to keep an eye out for sales or specific season. The downside is there are some long transits and need to overnight at times - especially if wanting A330 all around.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
(my bolding)

I'm not sure if I follow you here. Are you implying that £986 (equivalent of $1233.48) is the 'normal' price for this routing? If so, the periodical reduction of up to 40% off should mean tix to be sold for £591. When in the recent years has any rate like that ever appeared?

IMHO, we should all be grateful to OP, for the heads-up of a rate yet 11% lower than the reference thread quoted above.

Now, over to a quick check of the status of the e-visa implementation for India...
Thanks for your support onobond . I recall meeting you on a BA flight a year or so ago, and you letting me know that BA carries cognac in Club, even if it's not on the menu. Safe travels (when we can!)...
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:29 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by onobond
(my bolding)

Yes around 1250USD-1350USD is the normal price for this routing. The up to 40% off is a marketing gimmick frequently employed by MH, and for this route, the savings had never been over 10-15% based on my experience. (I've only seen actual 40% discount on super expensive J fares like HKG KUL lol) Although with the MH discounts, it may be worthwhile to look into KTM runs to/from TPE or PVG instead of bothering with India Visa, because the discount rates are often larger on those routes.

Last edited by Dominicus; Apr 18, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:32 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by 108912

If you use ITA Matrix you can search DEL-PER fares via KUL & SYD. So instead of DEL-KUL-PER-KUL-DEL you can book DEL-KUL-SYD-PER-SYD-KUL-DEL. I've done this many times. It is available generally year round for approx £1300 and the best thing is every sector triggers 140 tier points for BA Exec Club. So one trip nets 840 tier points. If you fiddle with flights you can generally get A330 aircraft all the way around (some DEL-KUL and some SYD-PER sectors are 737's).
Try to Find dates and Routing with ZZIIZZ and not DDDDDD. That brings your price down significantly.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
UL and AUH/DXB CGK beats it quite comfortably, and unless you want to visit India, UAE is generally a better place to get to and (for most) it's visa-free.
I've heard rumours BA is looking into the UL run because so many people got GFL. Better do it before it's gone (if we ever go back to travelling). There is a trick to reduce the price even further for the UL run, albeit its a risky move and belongs to the discussion in the trick-it thread
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dominicus

I've heard rumours BA is looking into the UL run because so many people got GFL.
what rumours, from whom? There are some fanatics who boast about doing multiple back-to-backs to gain GGL, but it's hard to believe many people are going to those lengths to achieve a status they'd be unable to maintain through normal activity. Losing CCR access after a year would be cruel!

It might be bizarre behaviour, but its not illegal and not against the terms & conditions of any interested party. While BA has closed loopholes within its remit (longhaul F between Abu Dhabi and Muscat, trans-Atlantic Babybus, domestic F on join venture partner flights within the US etc), if the Jakarta fares make sense to Sri Lankan's revenue strategists, it could prove difficult to convince the carrier to agree to modify fare-classes or the fares themselves.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:22 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
what rumours, from whom? There are some fanatics who boast about doing multiple back-to-backs to gain GGL, but it's hard to believe many people are going to those lengths to achieve a status they'd be unable to maintain through normal activity. Losing CCR access after a year would be cruel!

It might be bizarre behaviour, but its not illegal and not against the terms & conditions of any interested party. While BA has closed loopholes within its remit (longhaul F between Abu Dhabi and Muscat, trans-Atlantic Babybus, domestic F on join venture partner flights within the US etc), if the Jakarta fares make sense to Sri Lankan's revenue strategists, it could prove difficult to convince the carrier to agree to modify fare-classes or the fares themselves.
Exactly my thought! It's not like we are taking advantage of a "bug" or something. Hence, it's a rumour that I heard (though the person that told me that is fairly reputable).
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:42 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by king1983
I recall meeting you on a BA flight a year or so ago, and you letting me know that BA carries cognac in Club, even if it's not on the menu..
Whoa! Why was I kept out of the loop? BA, here I come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.