Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AM: LAX/SFO-LIM/GRU/Eze from $630 rt in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AM: LAX/SFO-LIM/GRU/Eze from $630 rt in J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Also available from YVR
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by angra
of KE, DL, SQ, and AM that I have all had to deal with covid-19 cancellations, Aeroemexico is by far the worst. They are the only one of the four that has refused to refund passengers for flights cancelled by the airline.
I'm going to book for Thanksgiving to EZE. If this is still around then, the refund of my money is the last thing I'm going to be worrying about.
aeisenmann likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
AM is a disaster to deal with should you encounter any problems.
Originally Posted by angra
of KE, DL, SQ, and AM that I have all had to deal with covid-19 cancellations, Aeroemexico is by far the worst. They are the only one of the four that has refused to refund passengers for flights cancelled by the airline.
It's the main reason I'm still on the fence about this deal. Even during normal time, AM is PITA to deal with no matter how well-prepared you are.

Last 2 deals I flew with AM, all involved overnight (I prefer the longest possible within 24 hours) stop in MEX, worked great for me as I really enjoy the city. Given the current situation I'd not consider any trip before September.

Another caveat: One time I booked a duplicate and needed to cancel within 24 hours it took Expedia a lot of wait/hold and back and forth with AM, compared to all other carriers which allow you to cancel by pushing the button online. Given current COVID-19 re-booking/cancellation mess I don't think Expedia will be thrilled to cancel it, let alone doing it quickly and easily with AM.
angra likes this.

Last edited by vincewy; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:35 pm

Hi all. First post and long time listener. Big shout out to everyone as I’ve booked a few flights from this forum (@ JFKEZE Guatemala was awesome - thank you).

There is a band in Argentina I would love to see but they have no dates with the current situation. Just to confirm - if I book random dates at AM @ $1000 in J, then change my dates later, I wouldn’t have a change fee BUT I would be on the hook for price difference if/when rebooking? So my $1000 J trip AM could become a $5000 J trip by virtue of changing my dates?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by 1stchoice_sjc
Hi all. First post and long time listener. Big shout out to everyone as I’ve booked a few flights from this forum (@ JFKEZE Guatemala was awesome - thank you).

There is a band in Argentina I would love to see but they have no dates with the current situation. Just to confirm - if I book random dates at AM @ $1000 in J, then change my dates later, I wouldn’t have a change fee BUT I would be on the hook for price difference if/when rebooking? So my $1000 J trip AM could become a $5000 J trip by virtue of changing my dates?
Correct. The only exception would be if AM puts out a policy that all flights canceled by them can be changed to a later date with no change in fare. I believe LX is doing this. However, I would not count on AM doing this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by xslash10x
Correct. The only exception would be if AM puts out a policy that all flights canceled by them can be changed to a later date with no change in fare. I believe LX is doing this. However, I would not count on AM doing this.
Here is the official policy from Aeromexico...

https://aeromexico.com/en-gb/actions-covid19

Reading the policy you could change dates , if there is a price difference it's capped at $500.

Applicable for passengers with tickets issued during March 2020 (see issued dates below), starting with 139, including AM codeshare.

No charges for change of date, respecting the same route and paid cabin. In case there is any fare difference, the difference must be paid at the time of re-booking

For international flights, the fare difference, if applicable, will never exceed USD500 for changes involving the same route and cabin
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Note that if they cancel your flight they will NOT give a refund!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:44 pm

Is it a good/bad idea to book an off peak time (say Oct) and later change it to Xmas?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by IAkH
Also available from YVR
$1000ish for Y, $1300ish for J...a difference that would be low even for just 737 travel, but with MEX-EZE being on a 787, that gives it some extra juice. The bummers are on the way down, the red eye is 737. On the way back, you get the bed for sleeping, but then a minimum 10 hour layover in MEX.

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Applicable for passengers with tickets issued during March 2020 (see issued dates below), starting with 139, including AM codeshare.

No charges for change of date, respecting the same route and paid cabin. In case there is any fare difference, the difference must be paid at the time of re-booking

For international flights, the fare difference, if applicable, will never exceed USD500 for changes involving the same route and cabin
It stipulates for tickets issued during Mar 2020, which presumably you should've known the risks and this is a bit of a gift the no change fee. HOWEVER, if they're only offering this for people who booked well before that, I call BS on them. I have a flight booked with AM currently for June, which...who knows at this point right, but it was booked in 2019 as a ticket to HAV, then rebooked later in 2019 changed to MDE, at that time I had to start travel before Aug 26 (off the top of my head, but I think that's the date) so now if this whole Covid thing stretches into June, I wonder what I'll be told about rebooking then...
Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Here is the official policy from Aeromexico...

https://aeromexico.com/en-gb/actions-covid19
If you read the T&C carefully, it's not useful at all. You basically have to be traveling before May 31st which at this point, no one with the right mind would book/travel during next 2 months.

For Fridays, if you book with US Expedia, you have time to think about as you have until Monday night to cancel for free.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I got back from GRU last month on AM. 789 both ways to/from MEX. The mini-cabin in J the place to be - the front J cabin was more or less full; while the mini-cabin felt almost private due to 1) total number of seats (6) and total actual seats occupied (2 ex-GRU; 3 ex-ME).

The hard product is good if you can get the 789 (not so much on the 788 or any of the narrowbodies). That said, I ate something during the trip (not sure on the plane or ground) which caused a fairly severe viral infection upon return.

Sitting this one out. Been to too many South America cities on AM. Also, MEX is not a good place to transit.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:38 pm

When does this have to be purchased by?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tracon
When does this have to be purchased by?
I don't think there's a published end date. Today I purchased an SFO/EZE for $1014 (September travel)

I've flown AM enough on this route to know that it is what it is. The 789 is a nice seat. The 788, not so much. The food is generally dreck. The crews are variable, from bitter to quite pleasant. The MEX connection - I've learned to make the best of it. On the southbound (4 hour connection) I go to the Amex lounge, book a 40 minute massage and shower (about US$20 for the massage), have some coffee before the massage and shower, have some breakfast afterward, and then take a walk. The northbound connection is much shorter.

When I can do this for the $2Ks or at times, less, and everyone else is $3K++, I'm not proud. It is fodder for some of my more creative trip reports.
rizrizriz and vincewy like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I don't think there's a published end date. Today I purchased an SFO/EZE for $1014 (September travel)

I've flown AM enough on this route to know that it is what it is. The 789 is a nice seat. The 788, not so much. The food is generally dreck. The crews are variable, from bitter to quite pleasant. The MEX connection - I've learned to make the best of it. On the southbound (4 hour connection) I go to the Amex lounge, book a 40 minute massage and shower (about US$20 for the massage), have some coffee before the massage and shower, have some breakfast afterward, and then take a walk. The northbound connection is much shorter.

When I can do this for the $2Ks or at times, less, and everyone else is $3K++, I'm not proud. It is fodder for some of my more creative trip reports.
I have talked enough caveats about AM and the deals. Having done North America - SCL/GRU a few times when deals are below $1500 from AM, here are the positives

1. Make the most out of MEX connection - this time northbound to MIA it's either 2 hours or 7 hours. I chose 7 hours, if flight is delayed then you'll have 4-5 hours and do what Eastbay1K just did. If on time, you have time to go to Centro Historico for a morning walk and enjoy breakfast at Cafe Popular (open 24 hours). Southbound, try to get a connection closest to 24 hours so you can see sights you missed last time in Mexico City. GRU/SCL/EZE all have morning departures so arriving after 10 am means it's just a connection (else the prices are usually much higher).

2. At price points below $1500 from US/Canada to GRU/SCL/EZE, I'll take the baggage allowance/food/service of Y just to be able to sit in front cabin and sleep. Even 788 seats are fine, especially if it's not full. AirAsiaX seems to be the first airlines to grasp this concept, the main perk many people want is simply being able to sleep horizontally when flights are more than 6 hours.

3. You get around 20-25K Delta miles for awards alone. I know sky pesos have devalued quite a bit but for 90-100K it's one-way J award to Asia. Also most recent booking AM seems to have fixed the glitch of DL FFP not in the system. This time even booking through Expedia my booking and DL SM shows up on the app.

In the end I pulled the trigger and booked for Sept as well with MIA-SCL.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:56 pm

Able to fix a stopover? Mexico City is certainly worth a few nights stay. Had a good time just visiting the city and day trips. Good weather as well. But food gets abit boring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.