Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/BA: ISB - Canada in F - $3,500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/BA: ISB - Canada in F - $3,500

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
AA/BA: ISB - Canada in F - $3,500 - over 70K AS miles

Works to Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. Many routings available, also works One Way.

ISB-LHR in Business on the three times weekly flight, flight times allow for a minimal layover each direction.

Fully cancel/change for no fee, books into F/J fare class. There are a mix of fares between $3,500 and $3,800 just have to play with the dates.

Emirates $3,800 fare also showing up on ITA Matrix but couldn’t get it to actually book.

https://flights.app.goo.gl/12QMG

Last edited by jmail1; Feb 25, 2020 at 6:54 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:21 pm

Do you know how many Alaska miles you’d earn if this was done as BA F ??
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave9lax
If you took the shortest possible route from ISB-LHR-YVR-LHR-ISB and had no status with Alaska, over 70,000.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by dave9lax
73,553 RDM (no status)
47,183 EQM (lol that’s almost MVP Gold right there)
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I think people may be making some incorrect assumptions based on what Google Flights displays, which in my opinion is rarely rock solid info, and how these would actually ticket and thus earn.

Let's look at the fare(s) here, they are AA fares, not BA fares. The rules are pretty straight forward, either AA coded/BA operated or BA coded/operated on the first segment to LHR and the last segment back to ISB. But the overwater segment must be AA code/operated or AA coded/BA operated. Despite what GF incorrectly displays, you cannot get BA codes on all four segments and that will impact your earnings because AA is nowhere near as lucrative as BA in F. To add insult to injury, you can only get J class on the ISB-LHR and LHR-ISB segments, that will further reduce earning potential of this fare when credited to Alaska.

The BA coded/operated flight in J class would get you a RDM multiplier of 350% and a qualifying multiplier of 250%. So outbound and return of that segment is 26,320 RDMs (3,760*3.5 each direction). And EQMs would be only 18,800 for those segments to/from ISB,
The AA coded/BA operated flight in F will only net you a RDM and EQM multiplier of 2x (100% CoS bonus for F applies to both redeemable and qualifying miles). So outbound and return is 18,840 RDMs/EQMs (4710*2 per direction).

If we sum those up, we get 26320+18840= 45,160 RDMs and 37,640 EQMs

By the way, you cannot even get this $3500 price if you ticket with the BA codes on the 1st and final segments, that will actually push the price up to $39xx. That is because you will have to pay a YQ/YR for both the AA coded flights ($350) and the BA coded flights ($376), whereas all AA codes only triggers a single AA carrier imposed surcharge. And with AA codes on all flights, it will further drop your earnings only a 200% multiplier for both RDMs and EQMs. So totals drop to 33,880 RDMs and EQMs.
xiaorandejavu likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:00 pm

Hmmm I was very excited about this , but after reading stephem analysis I’ll prob pass. I’m 75k so thought it might even earn over 100k miles (rdm) , but I guess I’ll look out for a more arrractive BA F fare
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:51 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by stephem
I think people may be making some incorrect assumptions based on what Google Flights displays, which in my opinion is rarely rock solid info, and how these would actually ticket and thus earn.

Let's look at the fare(s) here, they are AA fares, not BA fares. The rules are pretty straight forward, either AA coded/BA operated or BA coded/operated on the first segment to LHR and the last segment back to ISB. But the overwater segment must be AA code/operated or AA coded/BA operated. Despite what GF incorrectly displays, you cannot get BA codes on all four segments and that will impact your earnings because AA is nowhere near as lucrative as BA in F. To add insult to injury, you can only get J class on the ISB-LHR and LHR-ISB segments, that will further reduce earning potential of this fare when credited to Alaska.

The BA coded/operated flight in J class would get you a RDM multiplier of 350% and a qualifying multiplier of 250%. So outbound and return of that segment is 26,320 RDMs (3,760*3.5 each direction). And EQMs would be only 18,800 for those segments to/from ISB,
The AA coded/BA operated flight in F will only net you a RDM and EQM multiplier of 2x (100% CoS bonus for F applies to both redeemable and qualifying miles). So outbound and return is 18,840 RDMs/EQMs (4710*2 per direction).

If we sum those up, we get 26320+18840= 45,160 RDMs and 37,640 EQMs

By the way, you cannot even get this $3500 price if you ticket with the BA codes on the 1st and final segments, that will actually push the price up to $39xx. That is because you will have to pay a YQ/YR for both the AA coded flights ($350) and the BA coded flights ($376), whereas all AA codes only triggers a single AA carrier imposed surcharge. And with AA codes on all flights, it will further drop your earnings only a 200% multiplier for both RDMs and EQMs. So totals drop to 33,880 RDMs and EQMs.
AS earns based on codes not operating carrier? Sad

If you get this on AA codes you can pay $3500 and earn 3x EQM on all segments so about 50k total. 2 of these earns you EXP (well, not the EQDs — that's another story
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by helvetic
AS earns based on codes not operating carrier? Sad

If you get this on AA codes you can pay $3500 and earn 3x EQM on all segments so about 50k total. 2 of these earns you EXP (well, not the EQDs — that's another story
no. The rule for AS is based on both marketing and operating carrier.. Codeshare is not supposed to earn, but AS graciously allow it to earn.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I’m about to do an ISB-LHR-DFW with an inbound to ISB on a separate ticket with a 2 hour connection. I’ll be all carry-on. I can’t find anyone who has transited ISB so I’ll post my experience when I’m back.
ft543 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by jmail1
I’m about to do an ISB-LHR-DFW with an inbound to ISB on a separate ticket with a 2 hour connection. I’ll be all carry-on. I can’t find anyone who has transited ISB so I’ll post my experience when I’m back.
I have done the same transfer at Karachi before. Nobody knew what to do, they acted as if nobody ever has done such an international transfer before. But, everybody was very friendly and helpful and they figured out what to do in the end. I just waited in the arrival hallway while they worked things out and chatted with a guard while staff went to get my boarding pass.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by whimike
I have done the same transfer at Karachi before. Nobody knew what to do, they acted as if nobody ever has done such an international transfer before. But, everybody was very friendly and helpful and they figured out what to do in the end. I just waited in the arrival hallway while they worked things out and chatted with a guard while staff went to get my boarding pass.
When I tried that in ALG it was an absolute nightmare. I almost missed my 8h connection because some officials disappeared with my passport and never came back
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:17 am
Original Poster

When I tried that in ALG it was an absolute nightmare. I almost missed my 8h connection because some officials disappeared with my passport and never came back
I had no issues at ALG, same thing, they took our passport but somehow allowed us to go into the terminal and sit at our gate while they sorted it out. The wait was mainly based on the Iberia ticket counters not being open yet when we arrived. That was at the old airport, wondering if it has changed at the new airport.

The airport is brand new in ISB, hopefully they have some sort of transit process now.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
If they never came back with your passport how did you get on your flight?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by whimike
If they never came back with your passport how did you get on your flight?
The flight gate agents went running around until they were able to find someone who figured out in which office it was pointlessly left. Note I had tried to follow up with staff every 30min or so and kept being told to wait longer it'd come back, and then after a while nobody knew anything because people had just changed shifts. Absolute disaster.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
is there F cabin on the ISB-LHR-ISB sectors? In case not, can I fly QR to DOH and then catch BA metal from there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.