KQ: DXB to FCO from $760

Old Dec 27, 19, 10:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 3,976
KQ: DXB to FCO from $760

Nice sale with Kenya Airways from Dubai to Rome via Nairobi, Kenya.

Book Flights Here!


Source: My site PremiumCabinDeals
jfkeze is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 5:10 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
I do like this offer and I reckon I could cobble together 2 trips to the UAE to be able to use this. What happened to the Air Arabia deal from Vienna to Sharjah?
But I have to be careful with my passport, as it needs to be renewed in August and I suspect you need 6 months minimum to enter the UAE (and probably Kenya if you go out of the airport to visit the city).

How would it work with a visit to Nairobi during the 12 hour layover? Do you need all sorts of vaccinations? And I wonder if it would be possible to force a stopover at GVA, as I am based near there? Interestingly, it looks like that 07h30 flight with the KQ codeshare from Geneva to Rome is timed to connect to the onward flight to NBO at 10h25.
Concerto is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 5:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Netherlands - AMS
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
I do like this offer and I reckon I could cobble together 2 trips to the UAE to be able to use this. What happened to the Air Arabia deal from Vienna to Sharjah?
But I have to be careful with my passport, as it needs to be renewed in August and I suspect you need 6 months minimum to enter the UAE (and probably Kenya if you go out of the airport to visit the city).

How would it work with a visit to Nairobi during the 12 hour layover? Do you need all sorts of vaccinations? And I wonder if it would be possible to force a stopover at GVA, as I am based near there? Interestingly, it looks like that 07h30 flight with the KQ codeshare from Geneva to Rome is timed to connect to the onward flight to NBO at 10h25.
You can always just get a new passport before August..

No need for any special vaccinations when just visiting Nairobi, although it is of course advised to get certain shots when travelling less western parts of the world.

Obviously the GVA-FCO flight is timed well for the NBO flight as they are the same aircraft It will not be possible to book a stopover in GVA as KQ doesn't sell the 5th-freedom.
danfl44 is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 5:22 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Interestingly, it looks like that 07h30 flight with the KQ codeshare from Geneva to Rome is timed to connect to the onward flight to NBO at 10h25.
It's the same plane. It goes Nairobi-Geneva-Rome-Nairobi.

Since you're based near Geneva it makes sense for you to book DXB-Geneva which is normally just a couple hundred more.
skyhighlander is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 5:31 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
Originally Posted by danfl44 View Post
You can always just get a new passport before August..

No need for any special vaccinations when just visiting Nairobi, although it is of course advised to get certain shots when travelling less western parts of the world.

Obviously the GVA-FCO flight is timed well for the NBO flight as they are the same aircraft It will not be possible to book a stopover in GVA as KQ doesn't sell the 5th-freedom.
I'd rather not get a new passport before I really need to, that is late August. In the UK they no longer add any extra time to a new passport if you get it a few months early. Of course, you pay the same outrageous fees (which will be considerably more than the last time 10 years ago).

Good about the vaccinations. I will check in more detail.
You are right, it's the same plane, I just assumed it was an Alitalia codeshare without looking closely enough.

Originally Posted by skyhighlander View Post
It's the same plane. It goes Nairobi-Geneva-Rome-Nairobi.

Since you're based near Geneva it makes sense for you to book DXB-Geneva which is normally just a couple hundred more.
Same plane indeed, that one escaped me. It's stlll a great fare but the fare to GVA, being a couple hundred more, just makes it a bit too much to really want to make the effort with this (because I would have to construct 2 visits to Dubai). But that's ok, we'll see what happens.
Concerto is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 8:08 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 3,976
In Nairobi you can do a half day Safari to Nairobi National Park. It's worth spending a few hours animal watching...
Either Kenya Airways can organize it (depending on your flight) or hire a guide online (I think I paid $150-175 a few years back)...
jfkeze is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
That makes it into a very interesting well worth the bother trip after all. Great suggestion!
I recall you also found a flight to Catania from Dubai once, which had an interesting routing (on KQ I'm pretty sure, but it might have been ME).

By the way, what would be the XP count for this?

Last edited by Concerto; Dec 28, 19 at 9:26 am Reason: further question
Concerto is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 9:39 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 3,976
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
That makes it into a very interesting well worth the bother trip after all. Great suggestion!
I recall you also found a flight to Catania from Dubai once, which had an interesting routing (on KQ I'm pretty sure, but it might have been ME).

By the way, what would be the XP count for this?
24 for DXB-NBO and 24 for NBO-FCO so 48 each way or 96 XPs total... You don't get extra XPs for GVA-FCO as the flight has the same flight number ..
jfkeze is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 2:29 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
By the way, what would be the XP count for this?
GVA will get you 6 XP more than FCO...
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 3:31 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
So that means the total wouldn't be 96, but 88 XPs...? If the distance between NBO and FCO makes it fall into a lower category of XPs? With this, I am assuming that the one stop flight via GVA to FCO falls into a higher earning category.
Concerto is offline  
Old Dec 28, 19, 4:36 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Multiple locations
Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Posts: 3,976
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
So that means the total wouldn't be 96, but 88 XPs...? If the distance between NBO and FCO makes it fall into a lower category of XPs? With this, I am assuming that the one stop flight via GVA to FCO falls into a higher earning category.
FCO-NBO is 3346 miles per MileCalc.com or 24 XPs...
GVA-NBO is 3773 miles per MileCalc.com or 30 XPs..

The routing NBO-GVA-FCO is on the same flight number if not mistaken so it would earn as NBO-FCO at the lower rate...

Grand total is 96 XPs RT to FCO or if flying to GVA only it would be 108 XPs...
jfkeze is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 1:40 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UAE
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Continental OnePass, BA Executive Club, Tesco ;)
Posts: 467
Cant get this to price for less than $1124. Any ideas?
Vitriol01 is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 6:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
Originally Posted by jfkeze View Post
FCO-NBO is 3346 miles per MileCalc.com or 24 XPs...
GVA-NBO is 3773 miles per MileCalc.com or 30 XPs..

The routing NBO-GVA-FCO is on the same flight number if not mistaken so it would earn as NBO-FCO at the lower rate...

Grand total is 96 XPs RT to FCO or if flying to GVA only it would be 108 XPs...
I understand your calculation now. Of course, if you fly to Rome on a one stop flight with the same flight number via Geneva, it doesn't take into account that you flew via GVA, just Rome FCO because that is the final destination.
As an aside I see lots of KQ codeshare on other flights into Amsterdam, in fact on nearly all the KLM flights I have taken in recent months. But I assume that this offer does not work via AMS.

Originally Posted by Vitriol01 View Post
Cant get this to price for less than $1124. Any ideas?
Could be that we are too late for this offer and it was more short lived than we expected. In my case, less talking and just getting on with it would be the way to go. But I find it a bit difficult to work out the logistics of two Dubai trips to nest this trip within.
Also, maybe you have not been looking with the right OTAs?
Concerto is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:23 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
As an aside I see lots of KQ codeshare on other flights into Amsterdam, in fact on nearly all the KLM flights I have taken in recent months. But I assume that this offer does not work via AMS.
I took advantage of a similar deal back in August for a return trip DXB to GVA. Price wise it wasn't as good as today $760.
But the point is at that time for €50 more, instead of FCO one could choose GVA as final destination (via AMS outbound and via CDG inbound). And for another €30 extra, I opted for fully flexible ticket in I sub class (that gives 150% of the distance instead of 125% for Z). Surely i've missed the 30 UXP but a generous 34K FB miles were posted on my account a few days later.
If you play around a bit you can find some sweet spots with KQ codeshares
flying_blue_white_red is offline  
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:52 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreux CH
Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Posts: 9,221
That's the other offer I was thinking about. I don't think the Rome flight went via Geneva at that time.
I will have a monkey about with it at some point, although I haven't got anywhere near getting dates worked out.

I'm not sure if this is an ongoing offer, or really a sale price for a limited period...perhaps jfkeze knows for sure.
Concerto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: