FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Saudia | ATH - Various Asia | Business RT from €700 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1997325-saudia-ath-various-asia-business-rt-700-a.html)

Concerto Jan 18, 2020 10:20 am

Do some research first, because my security man friend who worked for one of the oil companies recounted a couple of incidents of westerners taking off into the desert to visit some old sites and getting cornered, rounded up and summarily shot. In one of the incidents, they, whoever they were, shot all the women and one man (maybe he remonstrated with them), and left the three remaining men alive. I don't believe the perpetrators were caught, or even actively sought.

Gobber Jan 18, 2020 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 31965975)
Do some research first, because my security man friend who worked for one of the oil companies recounted a couple of incidents of westerners taking off into the desert to visit some old sites and getting cornered, rounded up and summarily shot. In one of the incidents, they, whoever they were, shot all the women and one man (maybe he remonstrated with them), and left the three remaining men alive. I don't believe the perpetrators were caught, or even actively sought.

This is not serious argument, you can research just about any country in Europe, US and/or rest of the world, where tourist robbery/murders took place. The are countries where extra security is needed, i.e. Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Iraq. Saudia is not one of them. It is as safe as India, Russia or Brazil.

Dangerous countries - Tourist Map

IstKong Jan 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Gobber (Post 31966131)
This is not serious argument, you can research just about any country in Europe, US and/or rest of the world, where tourist robbery/murders took place. The are countries where extra security is needed, i.e. Sudan, Somalia, Syria, Iraq. Saudia is not one of them. It is as safe as India, Russia or Brazil.

KSA is way safer than Brazil a actually...

Concerto Jan 18, 2020 2:43 pm

I am glad to hear it, I would love to go there and see amazing things. I would gladly join christravelblog on his trip, but I doubt that the dates would work at this stage. I still think it is better to go with somebody rather than alone. Despite the statistics mentioned above, this country has been closed off to most visitors for a long time now and I don't think the average population likes us. We are infidels to them.

Maestro Ramen Jan 19, 2020 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Gobber (Post 31966131)

That map is a joke. Japan a "medium risk" country? Sure sure...

As for being "as safe as Brazil", that would worry me quite a bit!

Flying Yazata Jan 19, 2020 4:23 am

Take the country discussion elsewhere, this is a fare thread. Period.

Concerto Jan 19, 2020 4:44 am

Yes fair enough, but it is appropriate to have side comments about some of the destinations visited while using these fares. This is a bit exceptional because the KSA has been so off limits for so long. So it's a good place to air a few worries. As for the fare, I sure hope the possibility to book it continues for the moment and they don't pull it.

IAN-UK Jan 19, 2020 6:00 am

oops!

IAN-UK Jan 19, 2020 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata (Post 31968568)
Take the country discussion elsewhere, this is a fare thread. Period.

It seems to me that warnings regarding personal safety are relevant to a discussion about making use of transit through, or stopping off in a country.

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 31965975)

Disturbing tales. Makes you wonder if there is any credible support for these stories.

It seems to me important to have some factual clarity, before spreading what could originally have been bluster, gasconade.

Looking at government travel advice regarding crime in KSA:
  • [AUSTRALIA]Crime rates are low but theft happens, especially in crowded places and from vehicles. Keep vehicle doors locked and windows up, even when moving. Hide your valuables.
  • [USA]Crime in Saudi Arabia has increased over recent years but remains at levels far below most major metropolitan areas in the United States.
  • [UK]Although the crime rate in Saudi Arabia is low, there have been some isolated incidents of more serious crimes. Take particular care when travelling outside towns and cities.
  • [CANADA]The crime rate is low. Petty crime, such as pickpocketing and purse snatching, occurs, especially in crowded areas and at holy sites.
    Don’t show signs of affluence.Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times

However, most of the advisories seem only inches away from advising against travel, though this is generally related to terrorism and the regional conflicts.

Boturham Jan 20, 2020 6:19 am

I've been working in KSA for much of the last months. As a country its not so different from other Middle East countries. If you follow common sense and read up on the country, you will be fine. Learn the reply to the common Arabic greeting, dress appropriately, don't discuss politics/religion/ethics. Same as in any other country.

Nico40 Jan 20, 2020 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by AurelAF96 (Post 31922691)
So how you board your flight to KUL from the new terminal if arriving from ATH in the new terminal?

I am now able to comment the process for an international to international T1 / South terminal connection, which for both directions is airside and after clearing security :
When disembarking at T1, at the end of the airbridge there are signages (and staff) : exit / domestic transfers are on one side and international transfers are on the other.
There are 2 arrival corridors, one for each side of the gates (they are separated by a people mover not in service yet) and from what I could see the other side is not really ready (travellators yet to be fitted). So I guess T1 can't run at more than 50% of its capacity for the next weeks (several gates are not in use either).
Anyway you'll end into a not busy security check. A further escalator and you're landing at departures level of T1. The lounge entrance is just there on the left but I was denied access and told to use the one in South terminal after the bus transfer. And that's where things are turning interesting : nobody really knows were the shuttle bus leaves from (at some point I was told my connecting flight didn't exist). Go gate 26 the lounge dragon said... See gate 30 another guy told... 15 min after a couple of frantic phone calls (to a dispatcher) a bus appeared. 15 more minutes and you're left at a gate of south terminal (gate 10 or so, anyway there were pax making the opposite journey).
From disembarking until reaching the other terminal around 1 hour elapsed. But you really need to have an onward boarding pass with you (didn't see any connection desk or anyone to help for that)
It seemed to me there was a separate domestic - domestic airside shuttle but I can't really say.

Both terminals are in sharp contrast one with each other : T1 is huge and empty with wifi working fine, South Terminal is... Well, consistent with its reputation.

Concerto Jan 20, 2020 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boturham (Post 31972429)
I've been working in KSA for much of the last months. As a country its not so different from other Middle East countries. If you follow common sense and read up on the country, you will be fine. Learn the reply to the common Arabic greeting, dress appropriately, don't discuss politics/religion/ethics. Same as in any other country.

That's what I would expect, it's basically common sense. But I still think one has to be a bit careful about where one goes.

mattspod Jan 20, 2020 1:35 pm

So take the right corridor at the end of jet bridge and then goto 30 and ask the person at the gate to call the bus if it looks dead? What was the lounge experience at south terminal?

christravelblog Jan 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Reply to all about security: I'll be allright don't worry. Have travelled ALL middle east countries (except Syria and Yemen). Syria also on my list for this year latest in 2021.
the only time I didn't feel save was in Detroit USA.

Mad Oh Jan 21, 2020 1:29 am

Originally Posted by IstKong (Post 31966725)
KSA is way safer than Brazil a actually...

If you are male, sure.