Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

(JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
fare XLX08DN0
Day/Time restrictions
PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Seasonal restrictions
PERMITTED 01NOV 19 THROUGH 12DEC 19 OR 28DEC 19 THROUGH
28JAN 20 ON THE OUTBOUND TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Minimum stay requirements
TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 12 HOURS AFTER ARRIVAL AT TURNAROUND.

Maximum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 3 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Stopover restrictions

1 STOPOVER PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN AREA 3 AT USD 100.00 EACH.

Transfer restrictions
2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
FREE IN YVR/CONTIGUOUS U.S.A./MEXICO/PUERTO RICO/US VIRGIN ISLANDS IN EACH DIRECTION.
AND - 2 TRANSFERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION FREE
FREE IN JAPAN IN EACH DIRECTION
FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

Sales restrictions
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 31OCT 19.

Penalties

CANCELLATIONS: ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 500.00 FOR CANCEL/REFUND.
CHANGES:
BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 400.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
AFTER DEPARTURE CHARGE USD 400.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
Print Wikipost

(JL) Business JFK-TPE return for $2300

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
My original flight itin had a short B6 leg in Y from BOS to EWR or JFK (I don’t remember). JAL state’s that I would earn as if I’m flying JL. The routing ended up changing so I will never know but curious to see how this plays out also.
when I took this flight, I did not earn miles on the EWR-BOS leg in JetBlue
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP AY+ Plat UA Silver Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately, my days were not flexible but I was able to book a version of this yesterday as an early year run (should be enough to get me to EXP again with already planned travel). Any suggestions for what I should do / where I should stay on really short stops in both Taipei (21:15 - 15:35+1 turn) and Tokyo (19:25 - 11:05+1). I have never been to either city. In Tokyo looking to get into the city as fast as possible and eat as much as I can!

Crediting to AA my earning expectations:
Base: 20,188 (actual flight miles - I am EXP but I do not believe I get a multiplier on this, right?
EQM: 32,300
EQD: 4,038

Cost: $2,178.90
Fare Code: X
Sunday, March 1: JL3 JFK-NRT 11:05-15:25+1 777 - Sky Suite
Monday, March 2: JL809 NRT-TPE 18:00-21:15 788 - Shell Flat Neo
Tuesday, March 3: JL98 TPE-HND 15:35-19:25 777 - Sky Suite III
Wednesday, March 4: JL6 HND-JFK 11:05-10:00 777 - Sky Suite
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Taiwanese breakfast spots open at 5:30 so you should be able to go to 3 or 4 spots in the morning and you can also do a night market after you get in.

Tokyo is not up quite as early and the airport is far so it really depends on where you are staying. Places stay open late as well, but trains shut down at midnight and taxis are extremely expensive (at least $10 USD/mile). exp lounge does get you access to the sushi bar though and the airport has a couple of places that aren't bad/could be worth checking out

Originally Posted by King1028
Unfortunately, my days were not flexible but I was able to book a version of this yesterday as an early year run (should be enough to get me to EXP again with already planned travel). Any suggestions for what I should do / where I should stay on really short stops in both Taipei (21:15 - 15:35+1 turn) and Tokyo (19:25 - 11:05+1). I have never been to either city. In Tokyo looking to get into the city as fast as possible and eat as much as I can!

Base: 20,188 (actual flight miles - I am EXP but I do not believe I get a multiplier on this, right?

Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:39 pm

Hey folks

If you're looking for a few more miles this pretty much prices out almost the same jfk-tyo-tpe return kul-tyo-jfk or jfk-tyo-kul return tpe-tyo-jfk
you can catch a cheap flight tpe to kul or kul tpe.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

We just yesterday got back from almost exactly this trip. The JL809 flight was the same. We did JL4 NRT-JFK. People seem to love these SkySuites but I thought they were really bizarre. I don't know who thinks of these things.
On both long hauls, something fell behind the seats. Storage was behind me as was the single power outlet and headphone jack. They took some really strange contortions to get to. Seats were ok - don't forget to use the provided mattress. Service was more or less amazing (they are so incredibly respectful and courteous). Though, there were some misses.

Taipei - Airport MRT was a really easy way to get to the city. It's quite a walk when you get to the main station though. Very very easy @ TPE.
In TPE, swing by a night market and eat your brains out. We went to 2 night markets and ate almost nothing as we don't eat what they have there but it was almost all food. Even Monday night was elbow-to-elbow in one of the claimed smaller markets.
Have some of the fresh soy milk for breakfast. Not sure where you're going to stay. We were in Zhongzheng which has a place and Wanhua has King of Soy or something like that (great reviews on gmaps and yelp).
You don't have much time to do much else. If you're really inspired on Tuesday morning, get up early and walk up elephant mountain for a great view of the city. Get back to hotel and hit the shower / head to the airport.
I can't help you much in Tokyo - I've only been to the airport.
our_kid and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:48 am

Just spent two weeks in Taipei. Stayed at three different hotels, the Hilton Sinban, the Daan Kimpton and the Eslite. In my opinion the Eslite was hands down the best hotel. Great rooms,great service, walkable area. (request a room facing the park and Taipei 101)
LINKY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ct_Taipei.html

To any of these hotels the max cab fare to/from the airport is about 35-40 bucks... If you are on a budget you can take the train

Taipei 101, elephant Mountain, The W and Hyatt Hotels are all within walking distance of the Eslite.

Eslite: walk out the door and you're in a small park connected to that park is a large arts center that are old buildings that were repurposed for art studios and exhibitions. Very cool IMHO. You could eat up a day just strolling in and out of the various studious and activities just there.
Also: just outside the park is a walkable neighborhood with plenty of cool little restaurants (I highly recommend the restaurant WOOSA right around the corner from Eslite hotel)
LINKY: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ng_Taipei.html

I walked from the Eslite to Taipei 101, elephant Mountain, The W and Hyatt Hotels (Fairly easy walk elephant mount being the furthest away). There are also night markets within walking distance.

As for Tokyo.... I been 5 times and it's truly incredible city. Train is the fastest way from NRT/HND...
For hotels I like the Park Hotel https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ure_Kanto.html it's clean, reasonably priced and in a decent location. If you want a little more upscale try the Conrad right next door. Bay views from the lounge and rooms are fantastic. Both hotels are located very close to the high end shopping district Ginza https://www.japanvisitor.com/tokyo/t...ginza-shopping Walk into a department store and head downstairs for a quick bite a must do in Tokyo IMHO.
Shibuya Crossing another must do: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ure_Kanto.html

Last edited by wordsew; Jan 10, 2020 at 7:01 am Reason: addition
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
<snip>

Tokyo is not up quite as early and the airport is far so it really depends on where you are staying. Places stay open late as well, but trains shut down at midnight and taxis are extremely expensive (at least $10 USD/mile). exp lounge does get you access to the sushi bar though and the airport has a couple of places that aren't bad/could be worth checking out

His (her?) Tokyo layover is in/out of HND, not NRT.

HND is a quick 15 minute train ride to Shinagawa station, and from there it's a 10-20 minute train ride to most anywhere you'd want to go in Tokyo. Bars and restaurants are open late in Tokyo, but the last train to the airport is at midnight. If you're planning on sleeping in the airport, schedule accordingly. Train service to HND resumes at about 5am.

Easiest overnight accommodations would be a hotel near the airport - but that's not very interesting. If you want to explore Tokyo late, the easiest thing would be to end up in the Shinagawa area before the trains stop, party like a salaryman till the bars close, and then stay at a hotel near Shinagawa station and take the train to HND in the morning.

Personally, I'm partial to the Shinjuku area for evening entertainment (Omoide Yokocho, Kabukicho, robot restaurant, Godzilla peeking over the top of an office tower, etc). And if you spend the evening in Shinjuku, that opens the door to a unique Tokyo experience -- join the lemming run in the morning train commute from Shinjuku to Shinagawa (and on to HND). (NYC's subways pale compared to Shinjuku station)

There are plenty of great travel blogs on youtube covering the different parts of Tokyo.
Tokyoite likes this.

Last edited by jeffeverde; Jan 14, 2020 at 2:07 pm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I’m seeing this fare in Google Flight but purchase through AA website. If so, would that earn using AA chart instead of the higher earnings using Partner chart?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:38 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
I’m seeing this fare in Google Flight but purchase through AA website. If so, would that earn using AA chart instead of the higher earnings using Partner chart?
All that matters is the flight numbers. If you can buy JL flight numbers through the AA website (or anywhere) then you’ll get the partner chart earning. If you get AA flight numbers, then you’ll earn according to the AA chart.
JJeffrey and ijgordon like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlindPilot
It's available directly from JL as well.

Edit: And, more importantly, available on Amex IAP with a $230 discount and a JL flight number.

I'm seeing $2076 on matrix and $1843 on IAP (online). Though, not all combos that are available on matrix show up on IAP.

I haven't tried calling amex yet because I just applied for my card today and it hasn't arrived, so I don't know the number to call.
ZBigFam likes this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 20, 2020 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:34 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you use something like BookWithMatrix, you can book on AA.com (on 001 ticket stock) as long as there is at least one AA flight number (including a short flight like JFK-BOS). This might be useful for someone trying to upgrade J -> F on JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO, for example.

The best way to book this fare is definitely IAP... I am really tempted to go back to Asia later on this fare.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked this for late april - early may. $1833 with IAP; saved $243 off the $2076 fare that I was seeing on matrix.

IAP certainly has much reduced availability. When I called in the agent saw different availability than I saw, but still not the exact dates I wanted. I ended up moving my preferred dates by 1 day (worth it for the savings, I think) and booked online to avoid the $39 fee.
ZBigFam likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Car EE, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just booked for Late March - early April. $2203, with stopover in Tokyo on the way home for 40 hours.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:00 pm

Starting my journey tomorrow, staying in JFK overnight lol.
VegasGambler, zip10001 and hp12c like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Starting my journey tomorrow, staying in JFK overnight lol.
Safe travel!
ZBigFam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.