Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR Various USA to Southeast Asia/ADL in Jan 2020, ~$3-4k (Q Suites possible)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

I was looking for a mileage run for January travel that would give me AA platinum status (as we know status would be good through January 2022).

This is what I booked:
DFW-DOH-ADL
https://flights.app.goo.gl/uR2YP
Flight miles: 29,880
EQM: 44,820
EQD: $5,976
Cost: ~$3,950 (I booked through the QR website)

For some reason, ADL is pricing much lower than elsewhere in Australia. January is great time to visit; summer, great weather, etc. There are many ways to get from ADL to SYD, MEL, BNE, PER, etc. QF has several flights daily.
(Pro: About 3:30 layovers at DOH for both ways; gives enough time to enjoy the lounge, but not an excessive amount of time. Con: high hotel rates in Australia due to peak season, but Airbnb's still reasonable)
Right now, Q Suites on all flights (DFW-DOH is on the A35K, which is all Q Suites, the DOH-ADL can, in theory, switch)

Some other options I considered:
DFW-DOH-PEN / IAH-DOH-PEN
https://flights.app.goo.gl/SHSyX
Flight miles: 22,820
EQM: 34,230
EQD: $4,564
Cost: ~$2,980
(con: long layover in DOH pro: great rates at the Hilton property, a DT)

Another option:
IAH-DOH-DPS
https://flights.app.goo.gl/HQN9p
Flight miles: 25,800
EQM: 38,700
EQD: $5,160
Cost: ~$2,950

(con: long layover in DOH. pro: some excellent rates at Hilton properties)

There are other options, including JFK and LAX. Those appear to use the B777 for the USA-DOH legs, which are a 2-2-2 configuration in biz, although they are rolling out Q suites with those too.
Fares to KUL, BKK, and SIN (probably others) are around $3,500.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:36 pm

With Amex IAP the ADL routing comes down to $3570
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles | Marriott Bonvoy | Radisson Int'l Rewards
What are the odds of getting a 24+hr stopover in Doha?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by nocigar
There are no odds in this... Book a stopover if you want a stopover
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nocigar
As the next poster said, if you want a stopover, then book it with a stopover. Some of the connections have 7+ hour layovers. I saw a few options with 40 minutes; I guess if QR is selling that it will work. I'm not sure Google Flights will offer the option of a long stopover, but the QR website certainly does.

When you book through the QR website, there are options to add hotel/tours for about US$25.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
For those who haven't tried Airbnb in Australia - the price differences in Melbourne and Sydney are staggering compared to hotels.
aztimm likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
For those who haven't tried Airbnb in Australia - the price differences in Melbourne and Sydney are staggering compared to hotels.
We did one in Sydney last year. Had a fully refundable reservation at the Hilton, just in case, but the rate was well over US$300/night. The Airbnb was near Kings Cross for around $120/night. It was awesome! 2 bed/2-1/2 bath, full living room, kitchen, dining room, laundry, 2 balconies, a door person (was sometimes a woman), easy check-in/out, and a more interesting neighborhood than the Hilton.
I have one reserved near Melbourne in the Brunswick neighborhood. A friend lives about 2 blocks away and has taken pictures of the building for me (so I know the are genuine). I asked about staying at the Doubletree (actually price isn't too far off), but for convenience, both to him and shops/restaurants (not to mention the size of the place, and parking included if I need it), I'll stick with the Airbnb.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:02 am

There are more destinations in Australia available with other starting points in the US as well.
I did a post here some time ago,...

QR: USA - Australia 3750$ rt biz

Update: TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 04DEC19.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.