Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CI (China Airlines) LGW-TPE-AKL £2326

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I hesitated to post this as I don't think this is a special business deal, but more an excellent value fare with reasonable flexibility (changes for £85, cancellation for £175) given the scarcity of sub £2.5K flights to AKL from London airports. There is the £1,750 deal with China Southern on at the moment but that has limited date range and this China Airlines fare appears to be available throughout the year. I was able to book for the peak Easter 2020 dates.

Fare class is D and flights are on the A350 which routes LGW-TPE-BNE-AKL with what appears to be an excellent hard product and reasonable in flight service according to blogs/youtube. Extended stopovers in TPE are free, and we have built in a one night/1.5 day stay to avoid a 6.5 hour stopover on the outbound leg.

As a Qatar and Avios fan it took a lot to sacrifice the option to fly from Scandinavia and accumulate a large number of tier points but thought the minimal price differential and convenience of departing from London outweighed these aspects. Of course, if Qatar re-introduce their £1700 Lon-AKL deal I'll be cancelling this fare and rebooking onto QR

Finally, I booked direct with the airline using their customer service email address to price match Gotogate.

Last edited by Morgo; Aug 12, 2019 at 4:08 am Reason: to mention BNE leg and fare class
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Do you have a link to this deal? CI does have a great product. I flew TPE-SFO on the 777 in J, and it was a great flight. They have both Kavalan and JW Blue as complimentary drink options!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Here is a link: https://flights.app.goo.gl/dQxvc

If you stick dates into Kayak or SkyScanner you will find the prices at other OTAs. Opodo seems to be cheapest at £2315pp. As referenced above, I got in touch with the airline via Facebook who gave me the local customer service email address ([email protected] - all email contacts available on this page https://www.china-airlines.com/us/en/contact-us/offices). They effectively price matched the cheapest OTA which saves the bother of dealing with a middle man in the instance there's an issue with the flights.

Last edited by Morgo; Aug 12, 2019 at 8:17 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Here's the fare rules - CI did apply a different fare code on the inbound to restrict max stay to 1M (not that I needed that):

Spoiler

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

As booked through CI UK sales:
Fare code on my outbound leg: DL1YUK
Fare code on my inbound leg: D1MPRUK
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:21 pm

Thanks - I'd put CI right up there in terms of quality.

Excellent service, and a lovely cabin ambience - the little light makes it :-)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
So, I'm probably going to jump on this. Did you just email the local customer service address with all of your requests? I would like to book a stopover in TPE both ways to try and break up the trip.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eneq
So, I'm probably going to jump on this. Did you just email the local customer service address with all of your requests? I would like to book a stopover in TPE both ways to try and break up the trip.
Yes, I did. I think you get 1 free stopover and a second might cost you a little bit extra if I'm reading the fare rules correctly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.