Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Garuda: LHR to DPS from £1,352!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

Garuda has placed their London to Bali direct flights on sale... Direct is the key term, the flight number remains the same but you fly via Medan KNO both ways... Talk about the traffic trades between Medan and London... 😉😃

Making things more interesting, Garuda uses their Airbus 330s on this route. But looking at sample dates it's an old configuration in 2-2-2... If you want more XPs or miles you can pick days of the week that take 50+ hours and hop around Indonesia... Timing on the return is at an ungodly 8:40 AM departure... great end to a vacation with that hotel checkout time haha

LHR-DPS would earn 15570 RDMs & MQMs 3114 MQDs 1.90 MQD Ratio. Fare books into I Class.

Source: My site PremiumCabin.Deals
Book Flights Here

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:20 am

Thanks. Anyone considering this should look at the other asian airlines section and check out the various threads about GAs shenanigans at LHR over the past two years.

Suffice it to say the odds of actually leaving London, on GA, to where you thought you were going are very, very slim!
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:16 am

True, does not feel confident to book with Garuda from London or Amsterdam now.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Well these are in late August... so perhaps a bit more confident than say May 2020...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mr_botak
Thanks. Anyone considering this should look at the other asian airlines section and check out the various threads about GAs shenanigans at LHR over the past two years.

Suffice it to say the odds of actually leaving London, on GA, to where you thought you were going are very, very slim!
Here are the threads

Garuda LHR CGK zeroed out in GDS
Garuda LHR DPS technical stop

I echo the comments above - unless booking this for travel very soon be aware that GA have made multiple changes to the LHR route in the past year, including two complete cancellations, the first of which where they rerouted passengers at their expense and the second of which was a veiled threat but ended up with flights being reinstated albeit on different routing. Reading between the lines the LHR route is not making money, but politically they are being told to not cancel the route. One of the issues with the LHR CGK route was not only poor slot timings at LHR constraining their ability to connect onward to anything useful at CGK, but also the inability to fly the 773 that they were using to its full capacity as the runway at CGK couldn't handle the airframe fully loaded.

Last edited by plunet; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer, BAEC, Accor,Starwood
Slightly off topic but 13h 20min flight time for an A330 must be close to the limit. I can't think of any other airline running an A330 on such a long route. ( Which makes me question what GA is doing)
Justin Case likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by flybyinsg
Slightly off topic but 13h 20min flight time for an A330 must be close to the limit. I can't think of any other airline running an A330 on such a long route. ( Which makes me question what GA is doing)
But there's a stop at Medan. I think LHR KNO is a little shorter than LHR KUL.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Aug 12, 2019 at 9:10 am Reason: Git my KULs and KNOs the wrong way round
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion& 2 Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I flew Garuda biz from DPS to Seoul back in November. No issues at all. Great food and service.

ATL
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATLConsultant
I flew Garuda biz from DPS to Seoul back in November. No issues at all. Great food and service.

ATL
Yes but that's a 6:30h flight vs 13:30h on the LHR-DPS. I don't think I could stomach it. YMMV
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

True Ive never seen a 13h20min flight on a a330? wouldnt be on that flight.

Very close to the limit
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Alitalia Elite Plus
Hi All

Booked LHR-DPS for end of Sept in business with Girlfriend and young son. What business class product is serving this route? Currently the seat selection map is 2-2-2 so does that mean the old product?

Thanks

Dan
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
The A330 is confirmed via flightaware. Swapped recently from a 777. You'd have to expect the flight is somewhat weight restricted.

QF flies the A332 PVG-SYD which is 10 hours plus change. The A333 can also do it, but weight restricted with lots of empty seats. Syill much shorter than the 12+ hours this GA flight is doing.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bevers
Hi All

Booked LHR-DPS for end of Sept in business with Girlfriend and young son. What business class product is serving this route? Currently the seat selection map is 2-2-2 so does that mean the old product?

Thanks

Dan
Sadly it's the old product...
Old Aug 16, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, SQ*G, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
A330's on longhauls like this are not uncommon imho.

Iberia operates 13h30 - 14h00 nonstop route MAD-NRT for some years now, with an A330-200

Delta is doing NGO-DTW on A330-200 as well which goes sometimes towards 12h30 also.

GA's LHR-KNO flight will be around 12h30-13h00 and therefore not too long compared to the Iberia one.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by skycruiserNL
A330's on longhauls like this are not uncommon imho.

Iberia operates 13h30 - 14h00 nonstop route MAD-NRT for some years now, with an A330-200

Delta is doing NGO-DTW on A330-200 as well which goes sometimes towards 12h30 also.

GA's LHR-KNO flight will be around 12h30-13h00 and therefore not too long compared to the Iberia one.
Thanks for the info! I had no idea the A332 could fly that far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.