Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Garuda: LHR to DPS from £1,352!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garuda: LHR to DPS from £1,352!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Thanks for the info! I had no idea the A332 could fly that far.
yeah thanks for the info didn't know either
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm guessing the -300 and its regional derivatives must be more familiar, hence the concern and confusion

The nominal operating range of the A330-200 is 13400km.
London Medan is around 10500km.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm guessing the -300 and its regional derivatives must be more familiar, hence the concern and confusion
Not necessarily. My understanding, perhaps incorrectly, was that the QF 332s were close to their limits operating PVG-SYD. Which is well below the distances you mentioned. But then it's possible QF didn't go for the ultra-long range variants (no rela need).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Not necessarily. My understanding, perhaps incorrectly, was that the QF 332s were close to their limits operating PVG-SYD. Which is well below the distances you mentioned. But then it's possible QF didn't go for the ultra-long range variants (no rela need).
There are HGW variants of the -200, but i think these were taken up by very few carriers, certainly not by Garuda.

SYD PVG should be well within range: I seem to remember the QF A332 on SYD LAX, which can't be too far off LHR DPS in terms of distance.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
There are HGW variants of the -200, but i think these were taken up by very few carriers, certainly not by Garuda.

SYD PVG should be well within range: I seem to remember the QF A332 on SYD LAX, which can't be too far off LHR DPS in terms of distance.
That's true. IIRC the QF flight went via AKL. But AKL-LAX and LGW-KNO are same same, only 100 miles difference.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Alitalia Elite Plus
beware

Just an update for anyone thinking about taking the plunge with this deal. Garuda have cancelled our flight on 28th September this morning from Lhr to Dps and moved us to fly from ams via cgk. Absolute disgrace!!! If I was travelling alone I might be able to swallow the disruption but with an infant and girlfriend in tow after having originally booked Lhr -Dps due to it being direct i am gutted. Haven’t the heart to break the news to my girlfriend yet.

Rebooking on any other airline is now around double the price I paid when booking back in March.

Dan

Last edited by Bevers; Aug 20, 2019 at 10:53 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Oh dear, the Garuda LHR and AMS shuffle has popped up again, you have my sympathy. You may wish to review this fairly sorry thread if you have not already done so - Garuda London - Jakarta zero'd out in GDS for W18-19

When Garuda first started to mess around with their schedules out of LHR they did reroute a lot of customers onto SQ and CX, including myself. The GA LHR and AMS departures are at fundamentally different times of the day which mean that if you stand your ground and say you can't leave LHR before 7pm on day X but have a commitment to be in DPS by a certain hour on day Y (eg state you have a wedding you need to get to, or reunion dinner, more than just a hotel reservation) you have a strong case to be rerouted and under the auspices of EU261 regulation.

Remember to keep the conversation focussed upon timings and their importance to you, a degree of flexibility, but without being so flexible that you could still do the trip via AMS. No point bringing up about any consequential losses from other things that you have paid for because the airline doesn't care about that. Before you contact them do your homework and have a list of flights you could take with other carriers that adhere to your rigid timescales. Also look at the return journey as well, with the same carriers.

I know that GAs offers to reroute people on other carriers has dried up compared to this time last year, but my guess if that they will try to deflect the majority of people to go via AMS because the costs to them are much less than reissuing a ticket onto SQ or CX like they were doing last year. If a handful of well informed people stand their ground my guess is that a manager could sign off the reroutes.

Good luck....
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Bevers
Just an update for anyone thinking about taking the plunge with this deal. Garuda have cancelled our flight on 28th September this morning from Lhr to Dps and moved us to fly from ams via cgk. Absolute disgrace!!! If I was travelling alone I might be able to swallow the disruption but with an infant and girlfriend in tow after having originally booked Lhr -Dps due to it being direct i am gutted. Haven’t the heart to break the news to my girlfriend yet.

Rebooking on any other airline is now around double the price I paid when booking back in March.

Dan
Contact Garuda UK and request alternative rebooking options. Remember that previous cancellations saw them rebook onto SQ and CX and other carriers, so it could end up positive for you.

If they say no, hang up and try again, or ask for their published rebooking option.

The worst thing about the rebooking is that it means taking a 06:30 flight from Heathrow - horrible with a kid and meaning most people have to overnight at Heathrow as well.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Contact Garuda UK and request alternative rebooking options. Remember that previous cancellations saw them rebook onto SQ and CX and other carriers, so it could end up positive for you.
If they say no, hang up and try again, or ask for their published rebooking option.
The worst thing about the rebooking is that it means taking a 06:30 flight from Heathrow - horrible with a kid and meaning most people have to overnight at Heathrow as well.
When I was faced with the same issue last year, Garuda UK were sympathetic but unable to help, and I had to call Jakarta to get rebooked onto CX (in my instance). Once I got through to a clueful agent at Jakarta (2nd call) she agreed in principle the reroute with me and called me back 24hrs later to confirm it was approved and the etickets arrived a few mins later, plated by GA but on CX flights for LHR-HKG-BKK.

If you do manage to find the published rebooking option feel free to share them here.

I'm going to ask a MOD to move these last few posts into a relevant thread over in Other Asian carriers to avoid clogging up Premium fares with this non-premium fare discussion.
Garuda LHR-DPS Cancelled
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by cmoltisanti
True Ive never seen a 13h20min flight on a a330? wouldnt be on that flight.

Very close to the limit
According to this, the record is (or was) 20hours non stop on a A330-200.
Surely just a matter of load.
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2003/01/qantas-flies-airbus-a330-nonstop-from-europe-to-australia.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.