Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

BA: INV-LHR-YYZ // YYZ or LAX-LHR (WTP / premium, not J) £560/$700 - A350/A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Not a huge earner in this format - 10+90+90 = 190TPs in WTP (World Traveller Plus / premium economy) - but lots of play-around potential with this routing if you're TP hunting, I would think. If you return from LAX (747/A380) rather than Toronto (A350/787) then you can have fun nesting a one-way multi-flight route to the west.

https://www.google.com/flights?hl=en...18*2.GBP.56018

I just booked it with a GUF1 and some Avios discount, scoring the new A350 Club Suite both ways (£700 total with the additional taxes). If you can find the Avios availability it's a good option, plus there's no need for extended stay - it's possible to do a Saturday arrival and Sunday departure, just over 26hrs between them.

I know there's a lot of posts in here, so some of this may have been covered in another format. Perhaps someone will find it helpful, even just to try out the new A350.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Not a huge earner in this format - 10+90+90 = 190TPs in WTP (World Traveller Plus / premium economy) - but lots of play-around potential with this routing if you're TP hunting, I would think. If you return from LAX (747/A380) rather than Toronto (A350/787) then you can have fun nesting a one-way multi-flight route to the west.

I just booked it with a GUF1 and some Avios discount, scoring the new A350 Club Suite both ways (£700 total with the additional taxes). If you can find the Avios availability it's a good option, plus there's no need for extended stay - it's possible to do a Saturday arrival and Sunday departure, just over 26hrs between them.

I know there's a lot of posts in here, so some of this may have been covered in another format. Perhaps someone will find it helpful, even just to try out the new A350.

Thanks for this, I am getting a much higher tax figure difference though (240) which takes this to £800? Am I doing something wrong and that is a quote using a GUF from TA / BA

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by cgtechuk

Thanks for this, I am getting a much higher tax figure difference though (240) which takes this to £800? Am I doing something wrong and that is a quote using a GUF from TA / BA

Thanks
Agree, nice fare, but is the £700 after the Avios discount?

Haven't done much out of YYZ previously. Some hopping along the east US before taking a transcon to LAX might be a good alternative. Will look into this later today. Anyone with experience on some creative routing o/w YYZ-LAX?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks
Tax was £222.50 extra for the upgrade (in total, so three legs). I'm doing YYZ return, however, the LAX open-jaw might make that different at £240?

​​​​​​I used 19,750 Avios to knock £120 off the original fare (mine was £603 down to £483). Used that money to cover my positioning flight (LHR-INV at £117) to net an extra 40TPs on the outbound in Dom CE (abandoning the economy basic return).

I made the booking on BA.com, knowing that'd give me the option to cancel within 24hrs free of charge if upgrading became a problem.
Then just phoned to apply to GUF. The rules have now changed - Avios availability isn't a requirement, so long as the correct fare bucket is available in the cabin above then BA will book into it for you (here it was I class, which I verified in advance, meaning no problem) which is a genuinely positive new enhancement of this benefit. Cuts out any TA fees/delays.

Hope that helps. It's the £120 Avios discount difference that may have skewed my calculations, sorry! As you say £561+240 = £801. Still pretty reasonable IMO.
​​​
nixande likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onobond
Agree, nice fare, but is the £700 after the Avios discount?

Haven't done much out of YYZ previously. Some hopping along the east US before taking a transcon to LAX might be a good alternative. Will look into this later today. Anyone with experience on some creative routing o/w YYZ-LAX?
I spent a little while but failed to find anything great. You can go via ORD and DFW but the TP yield is so low and travel time so high. About £140 o/w but in eco.
Some ITA genius can probably make that six stops scattered throughout the USA.
However, forcing this into business/Dom F whacks the price up a lot (c£325), so in the end I settled on the YYZ weekender for sake of comfort (I'll have to find those elusive TPs elsewhere!).
Interested to hear what you find. More out of curiosity than personal practicality now.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Tax was £222.50 extra for the upgrade (in total, so three legs). I'm doing YYZ return, however, the LAX open-jaw might make that different at £240?

​​​​​​I used 19,750 Avios to knock £120 off the original fare (mine was £603 down to £483). Used that money to cover my positioning flight (LHR-INV at £117) to net an extra 40TPs on the outbound in Dom CE (abandoning the economy basic return).

I made the booking on BA.com, knowing that'd give me the option to cancel within 24hrs free of charge if upgrading became a problem.
Then just phoned to apply to GUF. The rules have now changed - Avios availability isn't a requirement, so long as the correct fare bucket is available in the cabin above then BA will book into it for you (here it was I class, which I verified in advance, meaning no problem) which is a genuinely positive new enhancement of this benefit. Cuts out any TA fees/delays.

Hope that helps. It's the £120 Avios discount difference that may have skewed my calculations, sorry! As you say £561+240 = £801. Still pretty reasonable IMO.
​​​
Thanks that did clarify it, I knew about the GUF changes but couldnt get the tax down.

@onobond the problem with any creative routing is that the guf wont work on the AA legs so you would be back in 10tp eco on those legs
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Thanks that did clarify it, I knew about the GUF changes but couldnt get the tax down.

@onobond the problem with any creative routing is that the guf wont work on the AA legs so you would be back in 10tp eco on those legs
Yes, might have been clearer stating the search for advise was for a creative route positioning YYZ-LAX on a 001 ticket. Even using SWU on AA , credit is as originally booked. Was considering adding some EQM too my AA account
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:23 am

Maybe this is the right place for this deal..

London - Abu Dhabi, BA WTP on BA 787-900 non-stop $667

Sample Skyscanner: https://www.skyscanner.com/transport...meconomy&rtn=1
Link to my blog on this one: https://notiflyr.com/2019/07/24/brit...i-from-667-530
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by notiflyr
Maybe this is the right place for this deal..

Sample Skyscanner: https://www.skyscanner.com/transport...meconomy&rtn=1
Link to my blog on this one: https://notiflyr.com/2019/07/24/brit...i-from-667-530
That's pretty darn good, if you combine it with the UL DXB-CGK deal you can go from Zero to BA Silver (OneWorld Sapphire for under USD1300-1400...
notiflyr likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by jfkeze
That's pretty darn good, if you combine it with the UL DXB-CGK deal you can go from Zero to BA Silver (OneWorld Sapphire for under USD1300-1400...
I thought there are four BA/IB segments required?!?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by denkigroove

I thought there are four BA/IB segments required?!?
There is a requirement for 4 sectors, this gives you two of them. Just two sectors would qualify you for bronze. If you are in London or nearby easy to do a cheap return eg. From LON to LUX or AMS to give you the other two if you don't already have them or wouldn't get them from other travel.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
£998 and Zero to Silver status 😁 (London based)

Originally Posted by plunet
There is a requirement for 4 sectors, this gives you two of them. Just two sectors would qualify you for bronze. If you are in London or nearby easy to do a cheap return eg. From LON to LUX or AMS to give you the other two if you don't already have them or wouldn't get them from other travel.
This is a vacation MR sample to go from Zero to Silver with a few days vacation in Middle East and Jakarta...

1) Position either Friday Night or Saturday morning to JER / INV for $60-90 (random search) HBO fare (5 TPs)
2) Random Saturday JER/ INV-LHR-AUH-LHR are pricing at $525 to $590 (Y for short segment then PY+) No hidden city and some flights allow decent connect time to check in the vacation luggage)

3) AUH-CMB-CGK 560 TPs for $658 (Current Srilankan sale)
Arrive from LHR early morning or evening (forcing a day in UAE) as AUH-CMB leaves 2300

4) Grab the return flight from AUH that leaves 130 AM and you are in LHR by 630 AM (if you grab the Monday flight head into the office)

Cost: $62 for position flight, $525 for PE flight to Middle East and $658 Business Class from AUH to Jakarta grand total $1,245 or £998 and Zero to Silver status 😁 and 750 XPs

Earning TP: 5 each way for LHR to JER (10) , 90 each way (LHR-AUH) so 180 and 280 each way (AUH-CMB-CGK) or 560. Grand total 750 TPs , Avios varies as due to the flights you became Bronze as soon as you land in CGK. Return to London and you are Silver. Obviously this could be improved or reduced time needed (but it's 6 AM in EZE! )

Gold.Status could be done as a second trip (later in the year for the same price) so you would become BA Gold under £2000 while on 2 Vacation and not on a crazy Scandanavia/Hawaii multisegment trip...

Disclosure: I do help people.as a service with these things but this is the cheapest OneWorld Sapphire status out there with the current UL promo...
notiflyr likes this.

Last edited by jfkeze; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by notiflyr
Excellent opportunity to cool down - it's hotter in London than Abu Dhabi today
notiflyr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.