Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA: China(CTU) - LAX r/t in J for $1,603

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

On a variety of dates you can fly fly roundtrip from Asia to LAX on AA metal for $800 each way in business class when you originate in CTU. Seems to route through HKG or PEK.

Example: https://flights.app.goo.gl/Y1cs3

The extra cheap fare doesn't work for my dates, but I can still do it for $1,900 round trip which seems quite solid.

Another good fare I found while searching:

AA One-way HKG-SEA (via LAX or DFW) for $1,900 in J and $2,300 in F

The $2,300 F fare tempted me a bit, but then I read reviews that AA's 777-300 F isn't that much better than J (is it $400 better?)

Example: https://flights.app.goo.gl/cpU5M

-------

This is my first time making a thread on Premium Fare Deals so please go easy on me if I screwed it up
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Great find.

Personally I would not pay the extra for AA F over J. The main enhancement imo is the ability to use the Flagship First Dining at LAX. It is a good use of a SWU upgrade though
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Gaaah, need a flight originating from the US. Good find though!
dval44 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Great find.

Personally I would not pay the extra for AA F over J. The main enhancement imo is the ability to use the Flagship First Dining at LAX. It is a good use of a SWU upgrade though
Thanks!

I think it would get me into the CX F lounges as well, but I've been to them before.

I'm leaning towards the r/t out of CTU for $1,900 on AA 787 J. Seems like a pretty good deal!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
Excellent

For AAdvantage members this is quite a good find. Nice one. Visa might even be avoidable if routing through hkg due to six day transit visa. Also getting the full eqm is obviously great even tho I prefer Cathay metal obviously.
dval44 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:39 pm

For that HKG-SEA fare in AA F, departing from HKG on AA F gets you access to the CX F lounges at The Wing and The Pier and Flagship First Dining in either LAX or DFW (depending on your routing). The AA F seat is interesting in that it is pretty mobile (rotating into a dining and desk configuration). If the $400 isn't a terrible burden it might be worth it but everyone values their experiences differently, obviously.
dval44 likes this.

Last edited by nickohrn; Jun 10, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the F fare.

It books into A.

Does anyone know a good place to credit A fares?

I have no status on any one world carriers. I like Alaska miles but the bonus looks pretty low.

Does it make sense to credit to aa even if I have no status?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:17 pm

If you want a taste of CX F, you could route HKG-HND(CX 777 F) HND-LAX(AA 777 F) and LAX-SEA or LAX-DFW on the 787-9 then onto SEA. Great fare, available R/T for a bit less than o/w.
nickohrn, dval44 and earlyriser like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by dval44
Thanks everyone!

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the F fare.

It books into A.

Does anyone know a good place to credit A fares?

I have no status on any one world carriers. I like Alaska miles but the bonus looks pretty low.

Does it make sense to credit to aa even if I have no status?
HKG-LAX
HKG-DFW

I credited my recent HKG-DFW flight to AS and then retrocredited the DFW-LAS segment to AA (super easy and miles posted about 15 minutes after submitting the request for that leg). I'm not sure if you have any AS status at all. If not, and you have some other elite status, you can always do a status match for AS.
dval44 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
If you want a taste of CX F, you could route HKG-HND(CX 777 F) HND-LAX(AA 777 F) and LAX-SEA or LAX-DFW on the 787-9 then onto SEA. Great fare, available R/T for a bit less than o/w.
If I'm not mistaken, doing it this way allows for stopovers in Tokyo. Not sure what the limit is, but I can easily do a few days without affecting the fare
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Does this fare allow a stopover in Hong Kong? I would like to get some suits tailored.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

If I'm not mistaken, doing it this way allows for stopovers in Tokyo. Not sure what the limit is, but I can easily do a few days without affecting the fare
Just booked this and wanted to tell everyone it is confirmed. Thanks @Gino for the tip, I booked the HND segment in CX F.

FYI I could only get it to price when searching through google flights and using their link. Not through AA's main site. It appeared to be some sort of travel agent link, as it was clearly AA official, but said, "Amadeus" in the link. I dunno.
Gino Troian and Barkinpark like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

FYI I could only get it to price when searching through google flights and using their link. Not through AA's main site. It appeared to be some sort of travel agent link, as it was clearly AA official, but said, "Amadeus" in the link. I dunno.
So, just to clarify, you used the Google Flights' link to AA's site, correct? Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barkinpark
So, just to clarify, you used the Google Flights' link to AA's site, correct? Thanks.
Yep, I used google flights to search, then clicked the "book with AA" button after selecting the flights.

When I tried going to AA first and searching, it didn't come up.

I noticed the page that google linked to said, "amadeus/override" in the URL. It seemed like some kind of landing/splash page. Oh, and the fare was in HKG not USD. Here's my ticketed itinerary

earlyriser and Barkinpark like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:31 pm

Let me ask again: is it possible to have a stopover in Hong Kong? I looked at the American airlines website and the fare rules did not say whether a stopover is possible in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.