Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AA/QF J SFO-MEL under $3500RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA/QF J SFO-MEL under $3500RT

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I just booked yvr Mel return and during the booking Amex only allows you to select Premiair Econ seats, however it then gives you an email saying seats could not be confirmed

i went to AA and selected the 2a and. 2a return

i then went to Qantas and selected 13e and 13e return

so it definitely books into business

update, just booked another trip in feb 2020 and same process 2a,13e,13e,2a

with the 2 flights Flyertalk saved me $4000 usd as normally I try to hit $5k per round trip there were $2.8K each

thanks OP, if you’re at oz fest I’ll buy ya a pot or 2
mczlaw, ps9a, cheltzel and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jimmie Jet; May 23, 2019 at 7:48 am Reason: added 2nd flight
Old May 23, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I just booked yvr Mel return and during the booking Amex only allows you to select Premiair Econ seats, however it then gives you an email saying seats could not be confirmed

i went to AA and selected the 2a and. 2a return

i then went to Qantas and selected 13e and 13e return

so it definitely books into business

update, just booked another trip in feb 2020 and same process 2a,13e,13e,2a

with the 2 flights Flyertalk saved me $4000 usd as normally I try to hit $5k per round trip there were $2.8K each

thanks OP, if you’re at oz fest I’ll buy ya a pot or 2
Thank you kindly for this. Worked for me. $2900US r/t YVR-MEL. Quite a deal.
--mcz
Old May 23, 2019, 8:35 am

I believe R is refundable for $200 - Can someone confirm this?
Old May 23, 2019, 9:13 am

Where/how to credit?
If Alaska, they will give you miles for AA flights on international legs. However they are operated in part by Qantas so I think one would miss out on most of the credit. I guess crediting to AA is the way to go?
Old May 23, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain
Where/how to credit?
If Alaska, they will give you miles for AA flights on international legs. However they are operated in part by Qantas so I think one would miss out on most of the credit. I guess crediting to AA is the way to go?
Unless I'm missing something super obvious why wouldn't Alaska credit the Qantas flights? They are close partners and Business fares get a 25% COS + 100% RDM.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Unless I'm missing something super obvious why wouldn't Alaska credit the Qantas flights? They are close partners and Business fares get a 25% COS + 100% RDM.
AA code likely means no miles with AS.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SWA
My tickets both note: Business (R)
Seating assignments are not yet open for December.
This metal has been having engine problems (Rolls Royce) and I only found a couple articles about the problems, nothing about it being solved. So, the engines need frequent service to confirm no issues arise, and some flights have needed to change metal.
See here: https://www.godsavethepoints.com/201...r-rolls-royce/
Old May 23, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigMouthStrikesAgain
Where/how to credit?
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Originally Posted by olouie
AA code likely means no miles with AS.
While AS ffp t&c's state flights must be marketed & operated by the same airline, there are many posts/threads on the AS forum where people get AS ffp credit for codeshares where both airlines are AS partners, after a retro claim. Not 100% sure, but may credited based on operating carrier. But is a small risk. (Oneworld credits on marketing carrier if an eligible operating carrier)
TEDisgone likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Has anyone identified what fare basis is being used here? As I'm reading the rules on AmexTravel it appears that it's fully refundable. Searching ExpertFlyer I can't find any published American fare that even remotely correlates with this price.
Gino Troian likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:58 pm

Independent of AMEX, you can use ITA to maximize mileage and book it through AA.com. Some segments even book in J so it should 3x EQM, like the itinerary below:
Fare basis RZX0QN0

This route should be close to 5c/mile if I calculated it correct.

Edit: amount shown in USD.
SFO777, mczlaw, steveholt and 3 others like this.

Last edited by zoqfotpik; May 23, 2019 at 3:04 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Independent of AMEX, you can use ITA to maximize mileage and book it through AA.com. Some segments even book in J so it should 3x EQM, like the itinerary below:
Fare basis RZX0QN0

Needed this - thank you!
Old May 23, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Fare basis RZX0QN0.
Curiously, EF has this fare basis code (LAX-MEL) priced at 4240USD. So many things I don't understand.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Curiously, EF has this fare basis code (LAX-MEL) priced at 4240USD. So many things I don't understand.
They are different fares from what I understand. There seems to be something missing on the AMEX price, hence why the price comes lower.
Choose that if you want a cheaper fare, or if you want to optimize the route, choose the fare basis I quoted above which is available ex-YYZ (perhaps available from other cities but I haven't checked)..
Old May 23, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Fare basis RZX0QN0

Edit: amount shown in USD.
As always, thanks for your help zoqfotpik!
Old May 23, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Animgif
Has anyone identified what fare basis is being used here? As I'm reading the rules on AmexTravel it appears that it's fully refundable. Searching ExpertFlyer I can't find any published American fare that even remotely correlates with this price.
Is this true? In my ticket's fare rules, I see "...the original amount remains non-refundable."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.