Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Utskicat
Great question. Its in the fare rules, but almost always its like this:
1) Change to flights on first fare component = reprice with today's valid fare
2) Change to second fare component = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
3) Change after first segment is flown (travel commenced) = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
Thanks, I've often wondered how it would work.
So if they've pulled the fare now anyone who wants to change make find themselves in a pickle?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sciamano
AZ has all 1-2-1 layout on its wide bodys.
Yes, you are correct. Dummy me. I was thinking of the AZ codeshare flight on KQ 787 thats 2 x 2 x 2 for this fare. AZ metal is 1 x 2 x 1. Good catch!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Thanks, I've often wondered how it would work.
So if they've pulled the fare now anyone who wants to change make find themselves in a pickle?
If they want to change outbound, then yes...a pickle. Changing anything else would be okay as it would use historical fares.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cricfan777
Had itinerary saved last night and was going to pull the trigger this morning after confirming a few things. Looks like fare is dead for NBO-FCO-USA flights. Only able to find nb-auh-fco-usa on google flights.
Curious how you are finding NBO-AUH-FCO-USA for about the same price?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by nas6034
I wondered the same thing. The fare is gone on any routing. Next best deal seems to be Eqypt Air for $1700 one way.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by nas6034
that was a couple of days ago when I initially posted. Is dead now.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Utskicat
Great question. Its in the fare rules, but almost always its like this:
1) Change to flights on first fare component = reprice with today's valid fare
2) Change to second fare component = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
3) Change after first segment is flown (travel commenced) = reprice with original issue date historical fare.
Didn't know that..otherwise would've booked immediately. I hope this fare comes back soon!
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Pity that the fare is gone now, but really nice that it has been around for quite some weeks
I wish all of you who booked a wonderful trip (Kenia and surrounding countries are very beautiful and definitely worth a visit)!
Let's hope it comes back..
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by danfl44
Pity that the fare is gone now, but really nice that it has been around for quite some weeks
I wish all of you who booked a wonderful trip (Kenia and surrounding countries are very beautiful and definitely worth a visit)!
Let's hope it comes back..
Thank you to OP for this.

I just flew this and everything posted correctly, fare rules were honored for changes (only extra taxes/fees were charged as applicable) and I had a great time.

Happy to answer any questions for anyone.
danfl44 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Thank you to OP for this.

I just flew this and everything posted correctly, fare rules were honored for changes (only extra taxes/fees were charged as applicable) and I had a great time.

Happy to answer any questions for anyone.
Awesome to hear!
Quick questions for you, then, since you are offering to answer them
- was it ticketed by DL or AZ?
- did you make the changes before or after flying the first leg?
- any tips for NBO?
Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Awesome to hear!
- any tips for NBO?
Thanks!
I have the same question. I also need to make a change and was just wondering if I should do it through AirItalia or Priceline.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:52 pm

Awesome to hear!
- any tips for NBO?
Thanks!
*Ticketed by DL - I once bought an Alitalia ticket and their call center reps were the rudest and most incompetent ever

*I made changes after flying the first leg and even changed a stopover city and length of stay without issue

*Many tips about NBO - anything specific you're looking for tips on here? Do you mean airport transit? Hotels? Food?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
*Ticketed by DL - I once bought an Alitalia ticket and their call center reps were the rudest and most incompetent ever

*I made changes after flying the first leg and even changed a stopover city and length of stay without issue

*Many tips about NBO - anything specific you're looking for tips on here? Do you mean airport transit? Hotels? Food?
Thanks! I agree that ticketed by DL was the way to go, I like AZ in the air but I've had not so great experiences with call centers too.
For tips about NBO, sorry I should have been more precise, but I was thinking about the airport experience.
Did you fly KQ or EY on your first leg?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:51 pm

For tips about NBO, sorry I should have been more precise, but I was thinking about the airport experience.
Did you fly KQ or EY on your first leg?
No worries! I loved NBO and had a much better time than I thought I would.

I flew AF on a separate DL award into NBO. Once there, I found a KQ counter as I flew KQ NBO-GVA-FCO and they were able to assign me seats despite my flight being 3 days away, as online and phone couldn't because it was booked as an AZ codeshare.

Stays in NBO of under 72 hours are eligible for a transit visa. They don't look at where you're transiting to or from - just length of stay. Transit visa is 20 GBP or USD or EUR, but the regular up to 90 day visa is 50 USD or 40 EUR or 30 GBP, and just as easy to do there as to do advance online (on arrival has a separate visa line that is probably the shortest of the lines)

I was able to check in online with KQ for the first leg of this ticket. Airport experience was quick - counter reprinted my BP and scanned my passport

Immigration has a separate SkyPriority line

Security has a separate business/first class line

KQ lounge was fine - not memorable food, but good drink offers and especially appreciated a quiet, dark sleeping room - I didn't see random people just walking in here as I had previously read online in reviews

My KQ flight in J had 8 of 30 J seats filled. I had the seat next to me empty. In GVA the cleaners accidentally threw my socks out despite me finding their chief before using the bathroom and telling them my stuff was still in my seat and giving my seat #. They found and returned them, but funny.

KQ catering wasn't great. I probably missed the best meal by sleeping thru it which was breakfast prior to landing in GVA.

The "meal" upon departure was tiny and bad quality - the only good thing was the soup and hot bread - so I'm glad I had dinner at my hotel. I would suggest the same for others.

KQ service was very nice - lots of attention and personalization and a happy crew. An even happier crew got on in GVA and continued to FCO and then I assume back to NBO.

What else can I answer? I wish the fare was still around, I would buy it again to try a different set of carriers and go back to NBO

As a Delta Diamond I earned about 27K MQMs and just over 33K RDMs. I still have 1 short domestic segment to fly (~500 miles flown) which I moved to the end of the year, and will use it or change it prior to ticket expiration date

The AZ operated FCO-LAX posted 3 days after flight. The KQ flight didn't post 7 days after, but I sent a photo of my boarding pass to DL via Twitter and it was posted within 24 hours after that.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:56 pm

Thank you for the very detailed response! I'll also be getting there on an award and doing the transit visa, so good to hear it works well.
I've never flown KQ before, so nice to hear a good review, but good to know we should plan ahead for dinner (anyway, the KQ flight to FCO leaves quite late, so having dinner beforehand makes sense).
Earnings on Flying Blue should be pretty much as good as with DL, especially as a FB Platinum.
btonkid12345 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.