Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

[PREM FARE GONE] ST: AZ NBO-LAX OW 977 euro - fully flexible J class

Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dp555
I currently have this booked directly thru Delta.com. Is there any downside to canceling that ticket and purchasing it again via Amex travel portal for 5x points? I know general consensus is best to book directly with the airline but I think it's ok (or preferable) if I have Amex backing me up? Still pinching myself on this fare
One downside would be ending on an AZ ticket vs. DL, the latter being much easier to deal with in case you encounter any issue (or safer if AZ goes out of business: I'm sure Amex would refund you, not sure they would reroute you).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat
Has anyone been able to actually reserve a seat on NBO-FCO or FCO-NBO on the KQ flight with a AZ flight number? I haven't and even called KQ (operating carrier) and was told to get seat at online checkin since I booked it as a codeshare. Its funny though, my inbound ticket (note: not on this fare, don't start looking for this!) is AF coded KQ flight and on airfrance.com I could get a seat assignment. I'm guessing that's because both AF and KQ both use Amadeus?
You can't reserve seats on KQ more than 90 days in advance, I believe.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Oxymore
You can't reserve seats on KQ more than 90 days in advance, I believe.
Im within the 90 day limit and Ive been able to reserve the inbound on the Air France code share from CDG the week before just fine.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Utskicat
We need more information to help you. What is your starting and ending cities and what cities do you want (or require) stopovers? Who does she collect miles with? What dates are you looking at? I can try to help out if you include that info.

Also, you mention you want to "take your mother TO Kenya". This fare is only valid for travel originating in Kenya. I have the same issue. I am originating in Buffalo (live in Toronto) so I bought 2 tickets. Outbound on Air France BUF-DTW-CDG-NBO for USD $2200. Then this deal NBO-FCO-LAX-JFK (+BUF separate ticket) for USD $1078. Its about the same price as just buying a YYZ-NBO-YYZ ticket round-trip, but that route doesn't include the full fare J class return so way less Delta Skymiles. The fare is most helpful for those exiting Kenya.
Thank you for your note. I was just trying to figure out a route NBO to LAX or JFK via SFO. Is that possible?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:12 am

I got booked into "C" class on DL ticket stock. How did you and many others get "J" class
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zoonil
I got booked into "C" class on DL ticket stock. How did you and many others get "J" class
You need to use a travel agent. Or bookwithITA
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:16 am

enter "f bci=j" into the second line on advanced controls, e.g.

This will get you here:

And here is the example Priceline link:

https://www.priceline.com/m/fly/sear...0&num-youths=0
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:02 pm

Thank you!!! Looks like I am out of luck. it's going to cost me $100 to cancel my "C" tickets.

What are the overall benefits in terms of MQM and other benefits J v/s C.

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Thank you!!! Looks like I am out of luck. it's going to cost me $100 to cancel my "C" tickets.

Thanks!!!
You shouldn't have to cancel. You can just upfare your existing reservation and pay the fare diff (which should be minimal)

Depends on what marketing carriers the flights were booked as, but generally C earns 150% MQMs while J earns 200%.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:59 pm

Thanks!!!
Who did you book with? The COWKE fare is still fully refundable and changeable. The $100 penalty is only if you cancel AFTER ticketed departure. And yes, there is a huge difference in earnings in J vs C class. You need to get it issued to J.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by thaitraveller
Thank you for your note. I was just trying to figure out a route NBO to LAX or JFK via SFO. Is that possible?
Goto matrix.itasoftware.com. Choose one-way. Enter origination as NBO and Destination as LAX. Click on advanced controls and enter the connection cities: FCO JFK SFO. Select to see a calendar of available dates. I chose November. There are many dates with a SFO routing. If you plan to throw away the last segment SFO-LAX, then be sure to schedule a decent layover in SFO and make sure when she checks in that she only has bags tagged to SFO.

To book: Click on the price to show the final page on ITA Matrix. Select all (ctrl-A) and copy (ctrl-C) then goto BookwithMatrix.com and paste it where directed (ctrl-V) and it will give you links to Priceline for booking. Booking on Delta.com is also possible. If you would rather book on Delta.com send me a screen shot of your ITA Matrix results via pm and I will send you the link you can book Delta.

ITA search parameters

November results via SFO
atojbk likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by George84
enter "f bci=j" into the second line on advanced controls, e.g.

Just a shortcut for you in case you were unaware. In routing codes box, you can just but pure connection: FCO MIA JFK and then in Extension codes (2nd box) but alliance skyteam. Saves on the embedded airline code like you have shown. Also in extension code you can enter multiple codes with a semicolon f bc=j;alliance skyteam

Anyhoo...you probably knew, I just thought I'd point it out if not!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Hi Utskicat this is really helpful - thanks. I found an itinerary and called the Delta Diamond desk but they said they cannot ticket or price unless it's Delta metal over the Atlantic. I found another itinerary where the Alitalia flight is a codeshare on Delta metal and called back - and this time they said Delta cannot ticket because the Kenya codeshare flight isn't available to them.

I can get it to price on BookWithMatrix and Priceline will book it. But I was hoping to book with Delta so that if Alitalia were to go under I would have better options. BookWithMatrix gives me a link to book with Delta but the link just takes me to a blank Delta booking screen.

It looks like you might know a workaround - if I DM you the itinerary would you have a minute to help me out?

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Just to add : you can actually build a stopover in SFO, since the fare allows for unlimited stopovers with no HIP checks. Try Ita Powertools (there is a thread on here about it) to book with DL.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:59 pm
formerly DNPierson1

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Oxymore
One downside would be ending on an AZ ticket vs. DL, the latter being much easier to deal with in case you encounter any issue (or safer if AZ goes out of business: I'm sure Amex would refund you, not sure they would reroute you).
thanks - I think I'll just keep the tix I have booked through Delta for peace of mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.