Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] SQ JFK-FRA(Eco)-FRA-SIN-JFK (Bus) from $2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] SQ JFK-FRA(Eco)-FRA-SIN-JFK (Bus) from $2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:44 am

What's everyone's reason for booking this fare(aside from it being a great deal)? Alaska/Singapore status, vacation, redeemable miles, or something else? Just curious, thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Philam24
What's everyone's reason for booking this fare(aside from it being a great deal)? Alaska/Singapore status, vacation, redeemable miles, or something else? Just curious, thanks!
Need to be in Singapore for wedding.

The extra leg for SIN-FRA-SIN makes it no brain deal.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nickohrn
Did it book into D through CheapoAir? I found that same pricing about $120 less than booking direct through the SQ website.
Yes.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I booked two.

1) To position to DAD for my CX flights in Sept/Oct.
2) To go to SE Asia for my annual January trip.

I saw this deal when it first appeared, but wasn't too interested (because of the low PQM earnings on UA) until the double routing through SIN came up! That caught my attention. Plus SIN is my favorite city in the world. Part of that was due to my regular upgrades to the penthouse suite at the Fairmont Singapore. Now that upgrades are going away (thanks Accor ), not sure if I will be going there as often as I used to.
767-322ETOPS, Phrantic and cowie like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:19 am

My wife and I usually plan a trip over Thanksgiving. On this we get to spend a week in Europe followed by 5 days in Singapore, all the way in business for less than $5k total. Hard to beat that. Not really concerned about the mileage earning.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:37 pm

I have no experience with booking a non-refundable fare with a change fee. Does a change fee mean I can pay the fee and select any other flight in SQ network with the remaining portion of the payment?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
I have no experience with booking a non-refundable fare with a change fee. Does a change fee mean I can pay the fee and select any other flight in SQ network with the remaining portion of the payment?
If you frequently book full-fare premium class travel, I'd be happy to give you me private line, which you are free to call anytime day or night to book your next flights...

OK, joking aside, if you have not yet commenced travel, your assumption is correct. With this ticket, you'd be subject to prevailing fares at the time the change is made.

Without preaching too much, I'd advise against making changes to these tickets once travel commences. I know the fare rules are what they are, but I do not think there is much to gain from a SQ agent pondering why you are traveling from JFK to FRA via SIN. You'd probably win the fight eventually, but it's best not to stir the pot.
margarita girl and danteshors like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 26, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Without preaching too much, I'd advise against making changes to these tickets once travel commences. I know the fare rules are what they are, but I do not think there is much to gain from a SQ agent pondering why you are traveling from JFK to FRA via SIN. You'd probably win the fight eventually, but it's best not to stir the pot.
Agreed. I am set out 11-12/2019 and 1-2/2020 so there is a chance my schedule could change, wanted to know I wouldn't have to squander it outright if something comes up.

I guess I need to be cognizant of the time allowed to rebook within?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
I guess I need to be cognizant of the time allowed to rebook within?
Travel would need to be completed within the validity date of the original ticket--one year from date of issuance.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
Not sure what the deal is with OTAs (try to avoid them as much as possible), but the ~$2.3k round trips booked through SQ are on a D fare basis (D15USRLC) so it's an actual Business fare and it shows up as business and all that.

That said I dug a little deeper into the fare rules and it seems like this is a JFK-FRA RT sale fare that somehow allows for a stopover in SIN(!) — which is why when booking on the SQ website one has to book multi-city (e.g. JFK-SIN, SIN-FRA, FRA-JFK) to get a ~$2k price, while JFK-SIN RT prices at ~$4k.

It looks like when loading this sale fare /SIN got appended to the rules: 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED IN EACH DIRECTION IN LAX/SFO/NYC/HOU/SIN, and oddly enough SQ's routing rules for all their JFK-FRA fares allow a stop in SIN:
/VIA THE ATLANTIC/
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. NYC-SQ-FRA-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-FRA
2. NYC-SQ-SIN-SQ/MI-FRA
3. NYC-SQ-FRA

Which is how we end up with a valid ~$2.3k JFK-SIN RT fare (well JFK-FRA with a stop in SIN).

In addition some of the cheaper fares with either JFK-FRA or FRA-JFK in Y or PY seem plausible given how the D15USRLC fare looks like it's combinable (e.g. JFK-FRA in V/W + FRA-SIN-FRA-JFK in D) — and probably explains the first post as well. As for your Kayak screenshot the base fare for D15USRLC is $2230 and V15USRL is $480, so $1448 looks reasonable after you throw in taxes and fees.

Not sure if this falls in the realm of an error fare, and the fare rules haven't been fixed for over a week, but we'll see what SQ does with the bookings I guess (unfortunately I only thought to examine the fare rules >24h after I booked one of these RTs, so can't cancel now and will see what happens)

Also am not sure what the etiquette is regarding this but if I really shouldn't be bringing this to the attention of SQ happy to delete this post as well
Given that SFO is allowed- could it be possible to do the following?

JFK-SIN-SFO-SIN-JFK?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Given that SFO is allowed- could it be possible to do the following?

JFK-SIN-SFO-SIN-JFK?
Post 113 & 115
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
I tried with LAX and ended up a thousand dollars more so did not even try SFO (but that was originating in JFK). Fare Rules do not spell out fare ($$$). Fares are based on origin and destination. Even if you can get SFO to work (which you can) the fare is not the $2200-$2400.
question

for SFO/LAX- how did you get it to price to be just $1k more.

i am not seeing that. I live in CA, so for $1000 more. I would rather have SFO/LAX
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
For all my searches I used Kayak (at that time) and then worked with same dates on SQ site. Some dates had lower fares on OTA's (usually Cheapo) and some had the same fare. You just have to play with allowed origins and stops and dates. I am originating in California but using awards and/or buying AA tickets to get to JFK or matched with the CX 1st class HAN-HKG trip.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
For all my searches I used Kayak (at that time) and then worked with same dates on SQ site. Some dates had lower fares on OTA's (usually Cheapo) and some had the same fare. You just have to play with allowed origins and stops and dates. I am originating in California but using awards and/or buying AA tickets to get to JFK or matched with the CX 1st class HAN-HKG trip.
sorry I wasn’t clear what I was asking. Sorry

I tried to search via cheapo/kayak. But I can’t get it to price on SQ (it’s over $36k)

i assume i should search SFO-SIN via LAX? Or LAX to SIN via SFO?

i am using my UA miles to position to EWR. But would rather spend $1k more if I can do SFO or LAX as origin
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by krispykrme

sorry I wasn’t clear what I was asking. Sorry

I tried to search via cheapo/kayak. But I can’t get it to price on SQ (it’s over $36k)

i assume i should search SFO-SIN via LAX? Or LAX to SIN via SFO?

i am using my UA miles to position to EWR. But would rather spend $1k more if I can do SFO or LAX as origin
The issue is that this is a JFK FRA SQ fare that is flexible enough to allow routing via SIN. I haven't tried to see if something similar could be done with the SQ IAH MAN fare but might be worth a try.

I could be mistaken but from the West Coast you only had the ICN/NRT/HKG SQ stops in the past on the way to SIN. So I'm not sure you can recreate this type of fare...

My suggestion look at B6 Mint sales or others and position to JFK for this fare...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.