Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The CX fare is pretty sweet to a market like Seattle CX now has service. That's pretty cheap for CX if you can handle the terrible overnight on KA regional recliner to HKG.

We bought a few of the AA ones through HKG and have upgraded to F, including one set where it's all 5 in our family and we found A5 for upgrades on the day we wanted to fly HKG-LAX. It was a trade off between the F experience and the more direct routing on CX directly to Seattle. My kids begged for "those cool seats that rotate," AA first has a distinctive attribute. Hah.

The cheapest option though is the AA fare routed through ICN and DFW, with KE KTM-ICN. It has less YQ and so is a couple hundred less than the AA HKG routing, but alas no F cabin on ICN-DFW.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: U/A premier 1K. UA 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
thank you sir, figured that, but you did the research
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
I made a similar post last week on the DEL to JFK MH Thread. Q Suites can be found to certain cities for just under $1500. New York and Atlanta can be found for $1150-$1250. You can get a visa upon arrival in KTM. Just know that there is no Wi-Fi and no lounges at the airport and you will need to buy a SIM card for any kind of data/voice which is a little complicated. For those of you that aren't actually going to stay and enjoy KTM, I think DEL is preferable.

Here's a 1 Way fare from KTM via HKG and DFW
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The_Just
For those of you that aren't actually going to stay and enjoy KTM, I think DEL is preferable.

Here's a 1 Way fare from KTM via HKG and DFW
Just keep in mind that DEL is an even bigger pain for visas!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:33 am

[QUOTE=The_Just;31194534]I Just know that there is no Wi-Fi and no lounges at the airport and you will need to buy a SIM card for any kind of data/voice which is a little complicated. /[QUOTE]

There's a lounge with wifi at the airport. Also a nice restaurant upstairs. Otherwise it is cheap to get a cab for a few hours to tour around.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:56 am

[QUOTE=erik123;31194658][QUOTE=The_Just;31194534]I Just know that there is no Wi-Fi and no lounges at the airport and you will need to buy a SIM card for any kind of data/voice which is a little complicated. /

There's a lounge with wifi at the airport. Also a nice restaurant upstairs. Otherwise it is cheap to get a cab for a few hours to tour around.
I believe the lounge and restaurant are BEFORE security at KTM, so don't go thru security and THEN look for the lounge or restaurant, as I did
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:04 am

[QUOTE=Chuckles;31195163][QUOTE=erik123;31194658]
I Just know that there is no Wi-Fi and no lounges at the airport and you will need to buy a SIM card for any kind of data/voice which is a little complicated. /

I believe the lounge and restaurant are BEFORE security at KTM, so don't go thru security and THEN look for the lounge or restaurant, as I did
After immigration but before security. Turn right and go up stairs after immigration (but before security). Priority pass and Diners club lounge also.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Fool's Gold
[QUOTE=Chuckles;31195163][QUOTE=erik123;31194658]
I Just know that there is no Wi-Fi and no lounges at the airport and you will need to buy a SIM card for any kind of data/voice which is a little complicated. /

Ah! That explains it. Exactly what I did, too!

I've been to both Delhi and KTM (I did Anapurna circuit) and I'd say that with the eVisa it was effortless as opposed to my experience of waiting in the massive customs line of KTM. I don't remember the exact price of the Nepali visa but I believe it was significantly less than the India visa but was valid for much less time. And for anyone interested in going to the Himalayas from Pokhara, there is a separate trekking pass and permit that is required. Either way, KTM is worth at least 2-3 days to visit. But if you are simply doing a turnaround I feel like DEL is a lot easier.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by nickohrn
I chose the KA routing through HKG.
sorry for the bump. @nickohrn, when checking in at KTM, did you get connecting boarding passes for the AA flights HKG-DFW-LAS printed on KA boarding pass stock?

I have the 8.5 hour layover coming up (KTM-HKG-DFW), figured I'd be going into HKG for the morning, but now with the protests, I might just bag it and stay in the lounge. aa.com indicates the ticket counter doesn't open until 1050am, and doesn't mention anything about transit counters airside (or who staffs them). Looks like they do mobile BPs at HKG however.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
sorry for the bump. @nickohrn, when checking in at KTM, did you get connecting boarding passes for the AA flights HKG-DFW-LAS printed on KA boarding pass stock?

I have the 8.5 hour layover coming up (KTM-HKG-DFW), figured I'd be going into HKG for the morning, but now with the protests, I might just bag it and stay in the lounge. aa.com indicates the ticket counter doesn't open until 1050am, and doesn't mention anything about transit counters airside (or who staffs them). Looks like they do mobile BPs at HKG however.
They gave me boarding passes for all of my segments in KTM. Even if they don't, there are transit counters in HKG that will likely get you what you need. I wouldn't worry.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by nickohrn
They gave me boarding passes for all of my segments in KTM. Even if they don't, there are transit counters in HKG that will likely get you what you need. I wouldn't worry.
good deal, thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer

When you get off the plane in HKG there will be a staff member holding a sign for tramsit passengers. It will list your onward flight and what transit desk to go to. When you get to the transit desk they will process your connection and provide your boarding pass(es) if needed. From there you go through security and back into departures.

I had a KE flight arrive in HKG with a 9 hour (my fault! ) transit to a QF flight. The transit desk provided my QF boarding passes. I spent a long time in the QF lounge and walked over 7 miles around the airport.

James
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just stay out on the island and go to the buddha.
Po Lin Monastery
Ride the tram up and walk down the long trail. I’ve done this several times on long layovers where i didnt feel like heading into the city.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Guanran Wang
I am able to price KTM-HKG-DFW-LAX-JFK-DCA on ITA and AA for 2360USD RT in all J plus transcon A321T segments.
anyone is able to price out more segments to max out Tier Points?
I tried to add a stop in PHX between DFW and LAX but it does not price.
Quite late to the party!
I needed a one way (or RT) from KTM back to US west coast (either LAX or SFO) with TPAC on AA (have SWU to burn). My dates are flexible to get good fares. Unfortunately I am unable to pull up anything on AA (TPAC segment + US domestic segments) anywhere near the above fares of 2360USD RT.
I was mainly checking on gl flights. You think ITA would make the difference?
Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Quite late to the party!
I needed a one way (or RT) from KTM back to US west coast (either LAX or SFO) with TPAC on AA (have SWU to burn). My dates are flexible to get good fares. Unfortunately I am unable to pull up anything on AA (TPAC segment + US domestic segments) anywhere near the above fares of 2360USD RT.
I was mainly checking on gl flights. You think ITA would make the difference?
Any advice is appreciated.
Looks like lots of dates still available. What date / routing are you looking at?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.