Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Premium Fare Gone): One World: KTM-various USA from $1100 o/w; $2200 r/t

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by absoluy
AA Flagship First Dining.

It’s a separate mini lounge / dining area separated from the Flagship lounges that’s reserved mainly for AA F ticketed passengers flying international F or transcon LAX-JFK or vice versa (along with a few other smaller groups).

Better food, Krug, generally nice vibe and a LOT more relaxing than the main lounges.

Not worth a super significant premium - but if you enjoy flying and want the extra tier points then it’s worth it (to me).
Sounds nice. So, if you ticket this KTM HKG LAX JFK XXX, for 25K miles you can upgrade HKG-LAX-JFK? Or is that for each of those segments? Sorry for the newbie questions!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Sounds nice. So, if you ticket this KTM HKG LAX JFK XXX, for 25K miles you can upgrade HKG-LAX-JFK? Or is that for each of those segments? Sorry for the newbie questions!
yeah, AA allows upgrades for multiple segments in same res as long as there is no stopover. If you did ktm-hkg-lax-sfo (stopover)-jfk then you would not get the upgrade via one mikes payment.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I'm likely to pull the trigger on this on aa.com, KTM-HKG-DFW-ATL, for $1,255. (The base fare is $1,010)

The Cathay Dragon flight is sold as KA103, so I assume I'll accrue per the CX mileage earnings chart for that leg. How does AA determine what's "remaining" of the $1010 base fare to calculate my RDMs for the HKG-DFW-ATL portion? I thought there used to be a window on aa.com detailing what your earnings would be, or is that maybe only once you've completed the purchase?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I'm likely to pull the trigger on this on aa.com, KTM-HKG-DFW-ATL, for $1,255. (The base fare is $1,010)

The Cathay Dragon flight is sold as KA103, so I assume I'll accrue per the CX mileage earnings chart for that leg. How does AA determine what's "remaining" of the $1010 base fare to calculate my RDMs for the HKG-DFW-ATL portion? I thought there used to be a window on aa.com detailing what your earnings would be, or is that maybe only once you've completed the purchase?
Without knowing the detailed fare breakout there's no way to know for sure how much of the $1010 will be allotted to the HKG-DFW-ATL segments. The aa.com window you're referring to typically only pops up on itineraries that are 100% AA flight numbers.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:09 pm

Just got a schedule change email from AA, looks like the KTMHKG flight is now leaving at 9:15pm and arriving at 4:25am. Ouch!!

I booked via Hong Kong in order to be able to upgrade the AA segments to first. I have since learned that the rooting via ICN on Korean Airlines is a decent option in that it’s possible to get seated in the first class cabin on the KTMICN segment. KE don’t sell first class but fly a plane that has a first class cabin...

Last edited by stephem; Mar 20, 2019 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stephem
Just got a schedule change email from AA, looks like the KTMHKG flight is now leaving at 9:15pm and arriving at 4:25am. Ouch!!

I booked via Hong Kong in order to be able to upgrade the AA segments to first. I have since learned that the rooting via ICN on Korean Airlines is a decent option in that it’s possible to get seated in the first class cabin on the KTMICN segment. KE don’t sell first class but fly a plane that has a first class cabin...
The "First Class" cabin of Korean Air is the first row with 1:1 identical seats to Business Class. There is zero difference.

I thought this fare is gone!? Still showing up as active here?

Last edited by skywalkerLAX; Mar 20, 2019 at 4:16 pm Reason: Fare GONE?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The "First Class" cabin of Korean Air is the first row with 1:1 identical seats to Business Class. There is zero difference.
It often remains unused.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX

I thought this fare is gone!? Still showing up as active here?
Thats a sweeping statement as KE planes are not all the same. The 777-200 that flies this route is not the case. The biz cabin is 2-3-2 and the first cabin 1-2-1.

Also, they do allow paid biz tickets to seat in the F cabin on this route.

Lastly, fare (or fares I should say as there are many city pairs) is still alive.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Thats a sweeping statement as KE planes are not all the same. The 777-200 that flies this route is not the case. The biz cabin is 2-3-2 and the first cabin 1-2-1.

Lastly, fare (or fares I should say as there are many city pairs) is still alive.
If it's the 777-200 with two rows then it should be the Cosmo First which is indeed much better.

Two weeks ago I took BKK-ICN-BKK on a 777-300 and it was 1 row with the identical seat - a complete joke!
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:29 am

...The 777-200 that flies this route is not the case. The biz cabin is 2-3-2 and the first cabin 1-2-1.
I flew that route a week ago, and indeed KE automatically upgraded me to First. The upgrade is of course appreciated, but I can't say I was too impressed with that First Class or KE service. I also suspect KE gave me food poisoning, which became apparent at ICN. Fortunately I had some meds for such contingency, so my upset stomach calmed down after an hour or two.

Food poisoning notwithstanding, KE-First was inferior to AA-Business trans-pac.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Ouch. Food poisoning from an airline suck!

But on the comparison w AA, I think the appropriate comparison is to the KA regional seat on the short overnight hop from KTM to HKG. That’s why i was contemplating using the schedule change to get a route change through ICN. But i give up HKG-LAX in F for ICN-DFW which has no F cabin to upgrade to if I were to do that.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I flew that route a week ago, and indeed KE automatically upgraded me to First. The upgrade is of course appreciated, but I can't say I was too impressed with that First Class or KE service. I also suspect KE gave me food poisoning, which became apparent at ICN. Fortunately I had some meds for such contingency, so my upset stomach calmed down after an hour or two.

There is no F offered to KTM so it is basically the same seat and food in the front cabin.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
There is no F offered to KTM so it is basically the same seat and food in the front cabin.
Check Post 36 above. I confirm that there was F with the 1-2-1 seat config.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:40 am

I eventually pulled the trigger on this one (or a variation of it) that got me to LAS for $2,266 round trip. KTM-HKG-DFW-LAS and return. I called AA after ticketing and easily upgraded the long legs to first with 25,000 miles each way and am pretty happy with that. A availability for the upgrade is plentiful on HKG-DFW and vice-versa. I went with the longer routing for the increased AS mileage as it'll push me close to AS MVPG75 with the other travel I have booked this year.

Thank you to OP and everyone else who commented with advice on finding the route and booking. ITA Matrix + BookWithMatrix + AA's web site made this one easy.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
So the million dollar question...anyone have a way to book AA flights across the pond but with CX flight numbers so I can get mileage credit based on the AA chart for partners. Oh and I still want to upgrade to F with AA miles. Anyone have a way to do this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.