Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

AI : ARN -> SIN - 1400 EUR in J roundtrip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AI : ARN -> SIN - 1400 EUR in J roundtrip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Richey66
IMHO it is not fair to exclude Air India Express:Another great example of AI "professionalism":
https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...4271f49a67027c
I'm not sure that is comparing apples with apples. Low cost carriers with a huge demand for new pilots vs legacy long-haul with pilots with a lot of hours. While there should be any excuses for safety on low cost, it's a different structure.

But even so, it was nine years ago. Not really a benchmark for determiming the safety of an airline? The OP said 'google at your own risk' - well google seems to tell a very different story to the OP's concerns.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm not sure that is comparing apples with apples. Low cost carriers with a huge demand for new pilots vs legacy long-haul with pilots with a lot of hours. While there should be any excuses for safety on low cost, it's a different structure.

But even so, it was nine years ago. Not really a benchmark for determiming the safety of an airline? The OP said 'google at your own risk' - well google seems to tell a very different story to the OP's concerns.
I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Just because it says Express doesn't make it not AI. Many airlines have regional and low cost subsidiaries which have all the same benefits of the mainline airline (i.e. lounge access, baggage for *Gold). Also the hypothesis that low cost carriers are less safe than their legacy counterparts is unfounded. FR has only had one minor incident in its nearly 35 year history and no casualties. In addition, as a European airline, they have to pay stiff compensation for delays (up to several hundred Euros). Yet they frequently run 1 pound/euro fare sales throughout Europe!

The fact of the matter is, for many airlines you will find safety incidents from time to time. WN had an engine grenade itself last year killing a passenger. Was this the cause of the pilots messing up? No! In fact the PIC did an exceptional job landing the plane safely and quickly given the resulting cabin depressurization from the incident.

In any event, let's stay on topic here : if anyone who has further insights into this fare specifically and/or how one could construct a fare on the routing to either lower the fare or increase milage it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

James
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:15 am

And now there is a real reason not to fly AI
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
AI is a perfectly safe airline to fly. I don’t know why safety keeps coming up as a issue in these forums. AI’s safety record is quite good and in general their long haul pilots are exceptional.

If you want to worry about safety I hope none of you are flying any airlines within or from USA - https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#5c0f68882a38 or SAS which JACDEC ranks as the most unsafe airline in Europe!

AI is a good airline...high marks for food, drinks and service both in Y and J. AI is an poor airline during IROPS, for IFE & seats - you can find some broken seats on flights more frequently than others but generally their cushioned seats are more comfortable than the slimline crap that other airlines are throwing at you. I think they’re flying new dreamliners between ARN-DEL & DEL-SIN so seat should not be an issue.

Also the airports in BOM & DEL are very good and the lounge in BOM is great. *A lounges in DEL are average or slightly above average.

In short there’s little reason not to fly them on this deal J fare other than misconceived notions.
IAN-UK likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Still, why on the earth should you fly AI for 1400 EUR with horrible connections in DEL when you can fly ARN-SIN for 1500 EUR with QR pretty much any day?
Possiby because you are looking for a Star Alliance parter, rather than a OneWorld airline
FlyerTalker70 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by j2simpso
....for many airlines you will find safety incidents from time to time. WN had an engine grenade itself last year killing a passenger. Was this the cause of the pilots messing up? No! In fact the PIC did an exceptional job landing the plane safely and quickly given the resulting cabin depressurization from the incident.
AIr France has had two of the most high profile, multi-fatality accidents this century. The latest took over 220 lives, and pilot error was a highly significant factor leading to the disaster.

in 2015 a pilot for GermanWings, Lufthansa's low cost airline, deliberately flew his aircraft into the ground, killing 150 passengers and crew.

And yet when AF and LH come up in these threads, nobody jumps up and down warning of "safety issues".

Fair to say there's an element of double standards somewhere in play here ?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Getting back on topic, one concern to keep in mind is that Pakistan has just closed off their airspace to commercial aviation. I'm no expert in geography but suspect this might have an impact on the routing of AI flights and possible even QR to say nothing of the various global airlines in the world.

There are also a couple other AI ex-Europe -> Asia fares out there:

ARN > HKG - 1,400 EUR:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...5*2.USD.161675

Decent sized layover in each direction in DEL however if you play around with the dates you may be able to find a shorter layover. However, unlike the top itinerary both legs (ARN>DEL and DEL>HKG) feature lie flats on a 787!

-James
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Getting back on topic, one concern to keep in mind is that Pakistan has just closed off their airspace to commercial aviation. I'm no expert in geography but suspect this might have an impact on the routing of AI flights and possible even QR to say nothing of the various global airlines in the world.

There are also a couple other AI ex-Europe -> Asia fares out there:

ARN > HKG - 1,400 EUR:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...5*2.USD.161675

Decent sized layover in each direction in DEL however if you play around with the dates you may be able to find a shorter layover. However, unlike the top itinerary both legs (ARN>DEL and DEL>HKG) feature lie flats on a 787!

-James
That's what I was referring to:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-del-bom.html
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The AFPAK FIR is closed this week due to Pakistan closing their airspace. All flights (not only AI) are being diverted south and have 1-2h detours. In the big picture this is not a big deal.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The AFPAK FIR is closed this week due to Pakistan closing their airspace. All flights (not only AI) are being diverted south and have 1-2h detours. In the big picture this is not a big deal.
Yes, and that's what they said when MH flew over an area of conflict.

That's what I don't get with mileage runs. If something happens, because flying isn't 100% safe, do you feel it is worth it because you were getting a higher status level? Would you go somewhere less safe for the sake of getting more miles?

Maybe some people like the thrill of trying to get in and out of a country with difficult immigration in a few hours, but if you get stuck there and they detain you it doesn't seem fun to me.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Southern Ukraine airspace was not closed to traffic, Pakistan is today and all traffic being diverted by the authorities. It is not up to the ops of the airlines to decide... apples and oranges.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Southern Ukraine airspace was not closed to traffic, Pakistan is today and all traffic being diverted by the authorities. It is not up to the ops of the airlines to decide... apples and oranges.
https://onemileatatime.com/air-india-pakistan-airspace/

It has been a little but longer than 'today'
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, huge impact on the AI flights to/from CPH. Consistently, delayed several hours when arriving and departing CPH. AI157 and AI158 tonight are particularly bad. Arrival CPH at 03:15 tomorrow (scheduled arrival 17:50 tonight) and departure from CPH postponed until 9AM tomorrow (scheduled depart. 19:50 tonight). I haven't checked the ARN flights but assume it would be the same.

I suppose many pax from Scandinavia will be transferring to BKK flight at DEL? (AI has very competitive Y fares to BKK from Denmark).
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:34 am

Still, why on the earth should you fly AI for 1400 EUR with horrible connections in DEL when you can fly ARN-SIN for 1500 EUR with QR pretty much any day?
Do you have any specific dates?

I do not see anything lower than 2500 EUR for QR.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
As of today, fare seems gone, was available for over two months if I remember correctly. I expect it to return in few months unless QR makes another U-turn in pricing policy. just FYI right now Air China is available for 1333 EUR using OTAs.

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...wards-tickets/

Originally Posted by yuiop
Do you have any specific dates?

I do not see anything lower than 2500 EUR for QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.