Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

LH: LON-HKG Premium Economy £560 RT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond

I'm sure this must have been posted on here somewhere but via Loyalty Lobby what looks like a decent price for most of the year in Premium Economy with LH from london to Hong Kong. All the matrix code details are in the LL post.

I checked the prices for a possible family trip this summer (actually to Vietnam) and the fare was £580 (July 9th for three weeks) Add on the flights to and from HKG to Vietnam at about £100 each = £680. So it's this trip vs direct (on VN) for about £600.

So aside from the deal price, I'd be interested in airline thoughts (longer trip on LH, effectively two stops, FRA and HKG) in PE vs direct, non-stop in Y on VN.

Keter likes this.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:08 am Reason: TOS 7 and 10
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Wow just realised UK APD is now charged based on the destination up to the destination point or first stopover.... Ie LON-FRA-HKG in PE will trigger GBP 172 APD. My first guess is that BA lobbied this
If you make a stopover in Europe the APD will drop to GBP 26.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why do you want to do a 2-stop when you can fly direct with VN and for less? (albeit in Y rather than PE with LH). Sorry, but it is a no-brainer to me (I prefer to suffer a Y seat in order to reach my dest. faster)
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Keter
Wow just realised UK APD is now charged based on the destination up to the destination point or first stopover.... Ie LON-FRA-HKG in PE will trigger GBP 172 APD. My first guess is that BA lobbied this
Wasn't this always the case? The last APD changes I saw were increases across the board in March 2018 - I think the above was always how it worked but happy to be corrected

Thanks for sharing OP!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why do you want to do a 2-stop when you can fly direct with VN and for less? (albeit in Y rather than PE with LH). Sorry, but it is a no-brainer to me (I prefer to suffer a Y seat in order to reach my dest. faster)
You'll have a heart attack when you see the ex-EU culture of many FT UK flyers and TP runs in general...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Keter
It's always been this way. APD is calculated based on the distance from London to the capital city of your ultimate destination country. Connections are irrelevant unless over 24 hours
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by obduro
You'll have a heart attack when you see the ex-EU culture of many FT UK flyers and TP runs in general...
Yes, and very horrified that people would fly to vietnam from Europe and North America to then fly on CX F. A very confusing proposition.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
It's always been this way. APD is calculated based on the distance from London to the capital city of your ultimate destination country. Connections are irrelevant unless over 24 hours
Well I admit I am not up to date on this topis. Was shocked!

But this rule does not apply to SU premium economy fares for some reason, for example. Probably SU did not submit the register of premium fares to UK authorities
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Because the journey is part of the holiday and we'd get a 'free' weekend in Hong Kong ... Yes definitely bitten by the 'more flights is better' bug.

Seriously this really is the question that we, Mrs S, me and the two freeloaders looking for a cheap holiday, are debating. And I suppose the core question is whether Y on VN is reasonably ok for an overnight (having done a UL (Sri Lankan) overnight, we said 'never again" and here we are)!

Reading FT makes us think that PE on LH is nothing remarkable so we are leaning towards VN. But would welcome input from anyone who has flown that route/ plane (787-9)

Last edited by SavvyTravel; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Miles earning seems to be decent thanks to Y in economy and it can be enhanced with extra flight intra-Europe. Economy ticket on the same route is not much cheaper. Thanks for posting. I'm trying to decide if I want to see cherry blossom in Taiwan, flying to HKG on this fare.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:41 pm

Not only is it a 2 stop itinerary instead of nonstop, those layovers are horribly long. +13 hours on the outbound and +9 on the inbound!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
A380 PE LH is nice and comfortable, solid PE proposition IMHO.
No experience with VN but the 787 in Y is generally describe as "horrible" due to the narrowness of the seats.

This earns 13 000 miles on A3, SK and LH Group FFP, so very good for the price.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747forever
Not only is it a 2 stop itinerary instead of nonstop, those layovers are horribly long. +13 hours on the outbound and +9 on the inbound!
Ah my mistake in the OP - I should have said that this fare code offers other timings through MUC and other flights via FRA with sensible layovers (starting from 90 mins). I'm looking at this as the option (with an A340 out and a 380 back).

London (LHR) to Hong Kong (HKG) - Tue, Jul 9

Lufthansa 911 Dep: 4:30PM Arr: 7:00PM 1h 30m Airbus A320neo Coach (Y)
Layover in FRA 3h 10m
Lufthansa 796 Dep: 10:10PM Arr: 3:45PM 11h 35m Airbus A340 Premium-coach
(N)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hong Kong (HKG) to London (LHR) - Mon, Jul 29

Lufthansa 731 Dep: 11:05PM Arr: 5:05AM 12h Airbus A380 Premium-coach (N)
Layover in MUC Tue, Jul 30 2h 10m
Lufthansa 2470 Dep: 7:15AM Arr: 8:15AM 2h Airbus A320 Coach (Y)

Family discussion will happen this Sunday!
Thanks all
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I'm not sure the fares will last until Sunday, it will probably sold out, as many dates are already gone.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
LH PE has been very competitive in the last 6 months or so. it used to be around £1000+ to any destination. BA is unfortunately still around £1200 and to be honest i do not find it so competitive product. They still charge for seat allocation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.