Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

QR : ARN -> CBR - 2100 EUR in J roundtrip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Spotted on flights:

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...7*2.GBP.189017

Decent availability in Feb/March. As usual can't comment on the quality of the QR onboard experience nor the lounges en-route. Interestingly, this entire route is on QR metal (including the SYD->CBR connection). Unsure how that works logistically (i.e. do you stay on the plane when you land in SYD or is clearing immigration necessary?). Also can't comment on milage accrual albeit I suspect you'll get a decent set of miles on OW. Would appreciate it if fellow FTers can comment on lounge access at ARN, DOH, SYD and CBR. I'm guessing the Aussie airports will give you QF lounge access with your QR J ticket?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: QF WP
Useful article answering some of the questions about lounge access, stopovers etc

https://www.ausbt.com.au/six-questio...anberra-flight

IIRC the load factors on SYD-CBR are around 10%
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:52 am

Since you asked, lounge access in ARN is a joke. Qr uses the worst lounge in the entire airport and actually one of the worst lounges I’ve been in anywhere. I’ve stopped using it altogheter when travelling with QR.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by PerStockholm
Since you asked, lounge access in ARN is a joke. Qr uses the worst lounge in the entire airport and actually one of the worst lounges I’ve been in anywhere. I’ve stopped using it altogheter when travelling with QR.

Oh glad its not just me that thinks that. Truly dreadful
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I always use the "Amex Lounge" in ARN, which is quite nice, including free a la carte dining.
It has a different name, but I can't remember.
cricketer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum; AF Silver; HH Diamond; IHG Spire; MB Platinum; Avis President; and, Hertz President
I travelled that same route last year and paid 15,500 SEK which at the time I worked out at about 1,500 euro r/t.

The stop at SYD that day was almost two hours. Landed at 06:09 and airborne again at 07:59. They make you disembark at SYD and do immigration. I didn't look for a lounge. On the SYD-CBR sector all they had was coffee - they said all the catering had been removed.

On the return, the landing at SYD was about 14:30 and we boarded again at 15:50. I used the QF First Class Lounge at SYD which was excellent. Very varied dinner menu with table service. Good wine list too. Can't remember if I got that lounge because of the QR busx class ticket or because I am OW Emerald. Hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: AF Platinum, UA Platinum Million Miler Lifetime Gold, QR Platinum, HH Lifetime Diamond, IHG Diamond
That would be access because of the One World Emerald status.....

Originally Posted by MikeWhiskey
I travelled that same route last year and paid 15,500 SEK which at the time I worked out at about 1,500 euro r/t.

The stop at SYD that day was almost two hours. Landed at 06:09 and airborne again at 07:59. They make you disembark at SYD and do immigration. I didn't look for a lounge. On the SYD-CBR sector all they had was coffee - they said all the catering had been removed.

On the return, the landing at SYD was about 14:30 and we boarded again at 15:50. I used the QF First Class Lounge at SYD which was excellent. Very varied dinner menu with table service. Good wine list too. Can't remember if I got that lounge because of the QR busx class ticket or because I am OW Emerald. Hope this is helpful.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
i wholeheartedly agree. It was disgusting. Nothing was out and there were dirty dishes everywhere. Thankfully the worst part of the trip was over in the beginning!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What's the best ex-Scandinavia airport in terms if QR lounges?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson VIP, Hertz Gold, Accor Plat
15hrs in non-q 777....i'd think twice about that...unless i actually needed to get to Oz of course.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Unsure how that works logistically (i.e. do you stay on the plane when you land in SYD or is clearing immigration necessary?).
Neither. You deplane at SYD and there is a security check at SYD. SYD-CBR is treated as an international flight. You will have access to the international lounges. Customs and immigration is performed at CBR.

The reverse is the same except no security check when deplaning at SYD.

Unless this has changed recently.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I always use the "Amex Lounge" in ARN, which is quite nice, including free a la carte dining.
It has a different name, but I can't remember.
its called Pontus in the Air but its only for amex platinum members and its sometimes very crowded. I have a plat card and use it regularly but if you dont have amex plat youre stuck at the dreadful qr lounge
Gobber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold

Staff is great though. The QR flight was delayed by 6 hrs. The receptionist/manager (?) could've locked up and gone home. Instead, she kept the lounge open, even brought out some food, opened their "VIP area" so we - a handful of QR passengers - could sleep on the couches. Pretty impressive to see someone so dedicated to the job that they exceed their shift by eight hours. Granted, the offering is not great, but then I try to keep time in any lounge to a minimum.
Gobber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
i wholeheartedly agree. It was disgusting. Nothing was out and there were dirty dishes everywhere. Thankfully the worst part of the trip was over in the beginning!
<Rant> You folks haven't clearly been to many lounges, if dirty plates and limited seating are the worst you can say about a lounge! In particular, I'd like to draw your attention to HNL where the Hawaiian lounge consists of soft drinks and cookies and limited seating and the United Club when I was there just had edamame and soft drinks. Meanwhile, the CAI domestic MS lounge just had cookies and soft drinks and was about the size of a broom closet. Thinking the US is better? Think again! Aside from breakfast, most Domestic United Clubs have the most basic food options (think soup and carrots!)</Rant>

This deal also seems to work out of several other Scandinavian destinations:

From OSL for ~2100 EUR:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...8*2.GBP.197568

From CPH for ~2500 EUR:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...4*2.GBP.226134

From HEL for ~2600 EUR:
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...3*2.GBP.231393

Safe Travels,

James
Gobber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pochama
What's the best ex-Scandinavia airport in terms if QR lounges?
Helsinki Finnair lounge in HEL it's pretty terrible, very crowded in peak hours, limited food offering, often line just to enter! Priority Pass/ non-Finnair lounge above gate 26 in Helsinki is very mediocre, at least it has many different areas and ok for the early morning flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.