Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

UA - CTU -> LGA - $2,000 USD in J roundtrip

Old Jan 16, 19, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Seems like UA is unhappy of the $1,500 USD fares CA is offering between SFO and PEK and thought they'd return the favour:

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...6*2.GBP.158266

Scattered availability in 2019 with some connections. Since you're flying PL INTL J you should have access to all PLs and UCs en-route which should take the edge off the layovers.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
I thought CA is offering ex-US; this is ex-China, which would mean most people needing to position and be present in China on departure dates twice. Also need Visa, as TWOV does not qualify.

Side note, my favorite flight numbers to/from China is SFO-PEK-EWR (UA flight 888 going and UA flight 88 coming back). Looks like I need to work on getting in flight 8 (CTU-SFO) on a similar itinerary somehow - UA has a codeshare flight 8888 with LH.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Luckily there is often decent o/w fares to China for positioning.
Old Jan 16, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
I am ex SE Asia and hold a 10 year China visa. Would you say that this is a particularly great fare for the product/route offered?

-Still a flight noobie here.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rybylee View Post
I am ex SE Asia and hold a 10 year China visa. Would you say that this is a particularly great fare for the product/route offered?

-Still a flight noobie here.

Thanks,
Ryan
I'd argue it's a pretty good fare. Flights to Asia in J on UA tend to be quite pricey - $3000 USD return I believe is the normal these days. In terms of milage accrual, these fares book into P class, which nets you approximately 29,000 PQM on UA (UA recently reduced earning from 200% down to only 150%!) Per where to credit, the fare should earn you 150% milage on AC and CA or if you credit it to TP you'll net 200%. Everywhere else you'll earn just 100%. On the itinerary itself, given the number of stopover you have you'll have the opportunity to enjoy the Polaris lounges at SFO, IAH, IAD and ORD on arrival & departure since you're flying Polaris J. I haven't taken the CTU -> SFO route before so I can't comment on the aircraft cabin and whether it has been retro-fitted to the new Polaris lofts.

Hopefully that provides some clarification.

-James
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:43 pm

Just took CTU-SFO a couple of days ago, no new polaris seat but still pretty comfortable in the bulkhead. There are better routings with one stop in SFO to EWR or ORD ($150 more) if you're not into sampling the polaris lounges. Certainly a good fare for UA metal but plenty of sub-2k CZ fares both ways though.

Last edited by ethanz; Jan 16, 19 at 6:54 pm
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:02 pm

AA seems to be going after UA on the CTU route, seeing some AA fares CTU to West Coast for $1650 RT. Uses new CZ codeshares intra China.
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethanz View Post
Just took CTU-SFO a couple of days ago, no new polaris seat but still pretty comfortable in the bulkhead. There are better routings with one stop in SFO to EWR or ORD ($150 more) if you're not into sampling the polaris lounges. Certainly a good fare for UA metal but plenty of sub-2k CZ fares both ways though.
Does that mean the CTU->SFO route is the old BusinessFirst product? If so, then I'd say it's still a good deal (i.e. lie flat seats) but it lacks the all aisle access that the newer Polaris products offer. Also, it's true that CZ offers lower J fares to China (and many parts of Asia). However, I'd argue that UA would offer the better service than CZ both on-board and on the ground (i.e. PL). In addition, if you're a UA elite, this itinerary will easily get you the 4 segments on UA metal required to re-qualify for this year!

-James
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Does that mean the CTU->SFO route is the old BusinessFirst product? If so, then I'd say it's still a good deal (i.e. lie flat seats) but it lacks the all aisle access that the newer Polaris products offer. Also, it's true that CZ offers lower J fares to China (and many parts of Asia). However, I'd argue that UA would offer the better service than CZ both on-board and on the ground (i.e. PL). In addition, if you're a UA elite, this itinerary will easily get you the 4 segments on UA metal required to re-qualify for this year!

-James
Yea all 787s are not reconfigured, still the 2-2-2 lie flat. Played around with it and also seeing CTU-LAX on a lot of Mon/Wed departures for $1756. Looks like UA does have problems selling seats on this flight.
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by stephem View Post
AA seems to be going after UA on the CTU route, seeing some AA fares CTU to West Coast for $1650 RT. Uses new CZ codeshares intra China.
Also seeing PEK-LAX nonstop $1550 RT on scattered dates
Old Jan 16, 19, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Side note, my favorite flight numbers to/from China is SFO-PEK-EWR (UA flight 888 going and UA flight 88 coming back). Looks like I need to work on getting in flight 8 (CTU-SFO) on a similar itinerary somehow - UA has a codeshare flight 8888 with LH.
We Chinese love our 8 haha! another example is the ever so popular CX888 HKG-YVR-JFK, longest flight per flight time on their network. CA888 on practically the most intensely competed PEK-LAX, and AY using AY88 on HEL-PVG.
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Updating this thread since I've received complaints that the deal had too many stopovers. Here's a one stop over solution in both directions with a decent enough layover in SFO to allow you to enjoy the Polaris lounge after clearing customs :

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...2*2.GBP.156482

-James
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
I'd argue it's a pretty good fare. Flights to Asia in J on UA tend to be quite pricey - $3000 USD return I believe is the normal these days. In terms of milage accrual, these fares book into P class, which nets you approximately 29,000 PQM on UA (UA recently reduced earning from 200% down to only 150%!) Per where to credit, the fare should earn you 150% milage on AC and CA or if you credit it to TP you'll net 200%. Everywhere else you'll earn just 100%. On the itinerary itself, given the number of stopover you have you'll have the opportunity to enjoy the Polaris lounges at SFO, IAH, IAD and ORD on arrival & departure since you're flying Polaris J. I haven't taken the CTU -> SFO route before so I can't comment on the aircraft cabin and whether it has been retro-fitted to the new Polaris lofts.

Hopefully that provides some clarification.

-James
Small correction, there is no Polaris lounge at IAD
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dh01 View Post
Small correction, there is no Polaris lounge at IAD
True although the new fare I posted in this thread has you connect solely at SFO instead, allowing you to avail yourself of the Polaris lounges at both SFO and EWR (I'm guessing a pax flying that route could access the EWR PL on arrival from SFO given they were on a Polaris itinerary?)

-James
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Updating this thread since I've received complaints that the deal had too many stopovers. Here's a one stop over solution in both directions with a decent enough layover in SFO to allow you to enjoy the Polaris lounge after clearing customs :

https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...2*2.GBP.156482

-James
The SFO to EWR leg has the new 78J (787-10) as scheduled, which has the 1-2-1 Polaris configuration.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: