Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: AA: $1,170 OW $1,835 RT Business HKG-Mexico ACT FAST

[prem fare gone]: AA: $1,170 OW $1,835 RT Business HKG-Mexico ACT FAST

Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by stephem
This is one of those fares where POS really matters for the I bucket availability. I have messed around with it a bit and found that there is very little US POS availability and that even with POS set to HKG, RF doesnt appear to be reflecting what AA will sell you from a HKG or China point of sale. ITA seems to slightly over display on I bucket availability when default is left to departure city and wildly over display if you set POS to US. AA CN site seems to show less than getting HKG POS via an OTA like Expedia. Expedia works well in that it also displays mixed cabin options, so if you only are doing a one way and plan to drop US-MEX segments you dont care about those being in Y.

What is the AA HKG site? I only get options from the drop down for AA China, not HKG...
Thanks for posting. I checked on expedia and china AA. Looks like transcon lax-ctl is in econ. Bummer.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:18 pm

This is one of those fares where POS really matters for the I bucket availability. I have messed around with it a bit and found that there is very little US POS availability and that even with POS set to HKG, RF doesnt appear to be reflecting what AA will sell you from a HKG or China point of sale. ITA seems to slightly over display on I bucket availability when default is left to departure city and wildly over display if you set POS to US. AA CN site seems to show less than getting HKG POS via an OTA like Expedia. Expedia works well in that it also displays mixed cabin options, so if you only are doing a one way and plan to drop US-MEX segments you dont care about those being in Y.

What is the AA HKG site? I only get options from the drop down for AA China, not HKG...
https://www.aa.com/i18n/index.jsp?locale=en_HK
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by frebay
Thanks for posting. I checked on expedia and china AA. Looks like transcon lax-ctl is in econ. Bummer.
So dont fly through Charlotte. You can make a transfer in either LA or Dallis and one additional one, depending on which destination you are going to in Mexico that will open up a range of different options. LA to Miami has a 777 on it occasionally and there is likely to be no problem getting the I bucket on that.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:05 pm

So dont fly through Charlotte. You can make a transfer in either LA or Dallis and one additional one, depending on which destination you are going to in Mexico that will open up a range of different options. LA to Miami has a 777 on it occasionally and there is likely to be no problem getting the I bucket on that.
Meant to say only going through CLT is the 1170 price. Everything else is 2x or 3x.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:50 pm

I changed POS to MEX, and was able to find some I fares. Book w/ matrix and the AA mexico site is pricing w/ D class. Anyone know what's the best way to book this?

Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

I had to find it by searching for American Airlines Hong Kong or something like that. If I’m being honest, this is my first time ever flying AA so I’m a huge noob and it took a long time before I found something that I could actually ticket. I was able to easily pull up at 1150 USD via AMEX Travel, but I was seeing the ~8200 HKD price on Google, albeit unbookable, and I just sat there for a long time trying to find a routing that would work.

Also yes, mine has a flight which I believe is economy only even though all segments say business in the PNR on the website. But also as you said, those segments don’t actually matter to me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by frebay
Meant to say only going through CLT is the 1170 price. Everything else is 2x or 3x.
Contrary to the subject line, this fare can come and go. Routings which price out sub-1200 one day can be 11x the next day or vice versa. If you don't find the routing you want and you still have some time, I'd check every day and see what you find.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
Contrary to the subject line, this fare can come and go. Routings which price out sub-1200 one day can be 11x the next day or vice versa. If you don't find the routing you want and you still have some time, I'd check every day and see what you find.
The I bucket on HKG-LAX/DFW and v.v. is indeed very fluid. It looks like AA revenue management very actively manages this and I have seen it go from 5 to 0 overnight and then back to 3. You have to grab what you find or risk it not being there when you look again. Also worth pointing out that if you are only using this for one way and only to the US, check all the Mexican destinations (MTY, SJD, CUN, etc) as AA seems to be releasing different I bucket availability for some of these (so you could find I space for LAX-DFW when PHX-SJD is tagged on but not if MIA-MEX is tagged on). It does seem like a challenge to get domestic I space, so you may have to settle for Y bucket there, which is generally wide open. I would only book with a good human TA, AA or Amex though if you are going to do that and then monitor for I bucket space. AA is generally pretty good about reissuing if you find the higher cabin/bucket opens up, but most OTAs will suck at this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I changed my POS to Thailand and found a one way HKG-LAX-MIA-CUN all lie flat for $1217. My question is...can I move my last leg (MIA-CUN) to another date later on in the year? I don't necessarily want to drop it completely as long as I can move that leg out more. Anybody have any ,luck with this?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777
I changed my POS to Thailand and found a one way HKG-LAX-MIA-CUN all lie flat for $1217. My question is...can I move my last leg (MIA-CUN) to another date later on in the year? I don't necessarily want to drop it completely as long as I can move that leg out more. Anybody have any ,luck with this?

Thats not possible without big price increase. There is a HIP check on this fare, so you would pay the HKG-MIA fare
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MCI777
You get 24 hours from when you land in MIA to take the flight to CUN/MEX
MCI777 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles (former DM), MileagePlus (Silver), Marriott Rewards/SPG Platinum (Lifetime Titanium)
I just helped book this for a friend's return home from their honeymoon. They booked HKG>LAX>CLT>CUN one-way for ~$1153 a person in early Sept 19. It will be their first (technically second since we're looking to use points to book them in biz on their way to their honeymoon) experience in biz so I'm excited we were able to get this booked at this price.

I'll second @stephem's comment that the availability really does vary based on POS. We were struggling to book through the .hk website and happened to switch the POS to US on ITAMatrix which showed much greater availability and allowed them to get their preferred date.

Using the routing code "F ..I-" along with Departing From: HKG and Destination: CUN (or SJD) allowed us to see which routings would pull up at the lower price. I toggled the sales city back and forth between HKG and US in order to see which dates were available in each POS. Thanks again for everyone who included their tips in this thread as it was very helpful throughout the process!
Pochama likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Found this again readily available on Google Flights. Finally pulled the trigger on HKG-DFW-MIA-MEX for 8,231 HKD which is about $1,048 USD. The MIA-MEX is listed as economy but I should be eligible for an upgrade as a Platinum Pro.

The HKG-DFW and DFW-MIA are lie-flat which is nice.
allset2travel and nexusCFX like this.

Last edited by MCI777; Mar 13, 2019 at 2:36 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

After waffling on this fare for sometime now, I also pulled the trigger for 8231 HKD pp via Google Flights. HKG-DFW-CUN in Jan.

Last edited by tearex; May 6, 2019 at 1:43 pm
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: British Airways
just booked HKG-DFW-MIA-MEX-DFW-LAX-HKG in December for HKD 13071
MIA-MEX-DFW is on narrow bodies, otherwise all lie flat
now just need to figure out how to get from EU to HK enough time for thinking though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.