Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Cx: Phx/las/lax – jnb pe $2200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire

PHX-JNB 28,522 BIS miles via LAX. EXP earnings: 62,748 RDM, 42,783 EQM, $5,704 EQD. Correct?

Books into E (R if you want but no marginal benefit?) and H for AA legs. Routing available via LAX, ORD, and SFO.

For those MR pros out there, is this a good (west coast) deal? What's the best way to evaluate a good MR? Ratio of $ Spend vs. EQD?
talltoddtravels and E55 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
One can use miles to upgrade to J from R, but not E. So that’s one benefit.
PHX_Flyer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Something-ist, Bombay Sapphire
Originally Posted by econ
One can use miles to upgrade to J from R, but not E. So that’s one benefit.
That's amazing. Plenty of AMEX points laying around that I can transfer. Do I need to look for a specific fare/award class for upgrade availability? Thanks for the tip!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
That's amazing. Plenty of AMEX points laying around that I can transfer. Do I need to look for a specific fare/award class for upgrade availability? Thanks for the tip!
Expertflyer doesn't show CX upgrades but you can either log into your Asia Miles account or , if you like lengthy hold times and spotty service at best, call them. You'll need an Asia Miles account to upgrade.

Nice price per eqm. Thx for the post
nickohrn and E55 like this.

Last edited by Snuggs; Dec 3, 2018 at 8:08 am Reason: Checked and confirmed ExpertFlyer does not show CX upgrades
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Same price from SFO
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: free agent
Could do JNB from JFK around $2430 or so if east coast folks don't want to reposition to West Coast. I would wait on better CX PE deals, and it's not 2019 yet so plenty of times to wait and scoop deals to requalify for AA status

Should net 5881 EQD and 44,109 EQM. RDM obviously depend on your current status with AA.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Thanks OP. It seems R is $1,000 more than E. Not sure if there are any dates where the difference is smaller.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
How do you search R fares?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by krazieman
How do you search R fares?
When you search on CX website, it will first return the fares in E. When you click on a flight, it gives you an option to select between the cheaper (E) and flex (R) fares along with a table of differences. Flex fare shows it's upgradable with miles.

You can also search on ITA Matrix with the advanced search code of /F BC=R
tobikosan and Tmotsinger like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by nort
Thanks OP. It seems R is $1,000 more than E. Not sure if there are any dates where the difference is smaller.
Prob not worth it to buy up to R since the business class fare is around $5.5k on CX and around $4.2K on IB (from SFO at least). Given the miles upgrade costs its only "saving" $1000-2300 ish but also requires approximately 100k+ to upgrade whole trip if you can find the availability.
PHX_Flyer and E55 like this.

Last edited by olouie; Dec 3, 2018 at 12:19 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:47 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

FWIW, I checked the IAP rate through AMEX and there are no discounts although they quoted me $2700 for a refundable PE fare.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
FWIW, I checked the IAP rate through AMEX and there are no discounts although they quoted me $2700 for a refundable PE fare.
$2700 for what fare class? I think E is refundable with $200 penalty.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by olouie
$2700 for what fare class? I think E is refundable with $200 penalty.
I am not sure - she did said the penalty was $100.

She also was able to see the $2227 fare but said no IAP discount for this one.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nort
When you search on CX website, it will first return the fares in E. When you click on a flight, it gives you an option to select between the cheaper (E) and flex (R) fares along with a table of differences. Flex fare shows it's upgradable with miles.

You can also search on ITA Matrix with the advanced search code of /F BC=R
Thanks! With EXP going up to $15k EQDs and the Barclay Aviator Silver reducing theirs to only $3k EQDs for $50k spend, I'm very likely going to need this MR. It looks like there is good upgrade availability.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
E55

Anything that produces massive EQM and/or EQD in a single, compact, relatively inexpensive itinerary can be of value. Not for everyone but better that we know the availability.
Originally Posted by PHX_Flyer
For those MR pros out there, is this a good (west coast) deal? What's the best way to evaluate a good MR? Ratio of $ Spend vs. EQD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.