Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY: YYZ-SIN FOR $2566

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by leland
Best I could do was a Jan 13 departure for 2998 CAD taking 54 hours.
Jan 15th HEL-SIN has some I bucket availability, for 11-13 Jan, no single seat available in any J bucket for YYZ-SIN on AY.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
im surprised Star has not matched these fares in a long time.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mellon
im surprised Star has not matched these fares in a long time.
The timing of the flights is not exactly the most convenient. Even with HKG/BKK, which has nicely-timed departures to/from HEL in both directions, the journey is close to thirty hours and requires two connections. With other destinations, long connections and/or overnights are required in at least one direction. I'm guessing Star doesn't really see a need to match because who, generally, in their right mind (especially if the company is paying) would add time and connections to an already long journey.

Only if you really want the OW points and/or can turn the flights into productive work time (I do appreciate the internet on AY) does this fare really make sense.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The timing of the flights is not exactly the most convenient. Even with HKG/BKK, which has nicely-timed departures to/from HEL in both directions, the journey is close to thirty hours and requires two connections. With other destinations, long connections and/or overnights are required in at least one direction. I'm guessing Star doesn't really see a need to match because who, generally, in their right mind (especially if the company is paying) would add time and connections to an already long journey.

Only if you really want the OW points and/or can turn the flights into productive work time (I do appreciate the internet on AY) does this fare really make sense.
we had $2000us yyz-SIN deals on both UA and AC earlier in the year.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mellon
we had $2000us yyz-SIN deals on both UA and AC earlier in the year.
Technically, this AY fare is not a "deal." It's been around for quite some time and is available consistently throughout the year.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
looking into this one, for around $3k can structure the AY ticket YYZ-LHR-HEL, stop in Europe to take care of some stuff, then continue to SIN, see friends then use avios to pop up to HKG and pick up my AA HKG-DFW-MEX flight, then a few months later, open jaw the AY ticket and go ex-HKG to HEL, stop for a wedding in Germany, pick up another itin MUC-LHR-KWI-BAH-GYD-DOH-MCT-AUH-JFK, then in early Dec catch the back end of an ATH-LHR-JFK-LHR-CDG ticket, and after finishing up in France buy CDG-HEL, spend a night in Helsinki then finish the AY ticket HEL-LHR-YYZ. EQMs for daaaaaays.
leland and nickohrn like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
looking into this one, for around $3k can structure the AY ticket YYZ-LHR-HEL, stop in Europe to take care of some stuff, then continue to SIN, see friends then use avios to pop up to HKG and pick up my AA HKG-DFW-MEX flight, then a few months later, open jaw the AY ticket and go ex-HKG to HEL, stop for a wedding in Germany, pick up another itin MUC-LHR-KWI-BAH-GYD-DOH-MCT-AUH-JFK, then in early Dec catch the back end of an ATH-LHR-JFK-LHR-CDG ticket, and after finishing up in France buy CDG-HEL, spend a night in Helsinki then finish the AY ticket HEL-LHR-YYZ. EQMs for daaaaaays.
This is tangentially related to this topic, but how do you get into the mindset of arranging things like this? Do you wait for good fares to align or do you buy fares as they come up (that work for you) and then figure out how to fit them all together as new items appear?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by nickohrn
This is tangentially related to this topic, but how do you get into the mindset of arranging things like this? Do you wait for good fares to align or do you buy fares as they come up (that work for you) and then figure out how to fit them all together as new items appear?
I scan the fares from time to time and if I see something that works for somewhere I have to be, then I work it in and build around it. As for what I have booked for 2019, I nested ARN-HEL-JFK-LHR-ARN inside JFK-HEL-SVO-HEL-JFK earlier this year, already flew the first halves of both tickets, so I take the back end JFK-LHR-ARN to get to Europe in May for a wedding, then in late May, pick up the other ticket to get home SVO-HEL-JFK. Then like I said I may avail myself of the AY ticket above to get over to Europe in June to take care of some work in my apartment before continuing on to HKG, which was purely based on the fare being so cheap and liking any excuse to get to HKG, plus saw the ability to combine it with these other tickets (and stops in Mexico to get back to Europe in Sept. for that wedding). I used a SWU on a JFK-CDG AA flight to start summer July 17, then around Sept. 4 I need to depart Europe to get to a family BDay in NYC, so I would book the ATH-LHR-JFK-LHR-CDG flight for that, with the back end going to make sure the end of the AY ticket isn't wasted. The ex-MUC itin, was a creative way to get home from the wedding, and see some new places. It was all miles save for cheap Y flights KWI-BAH-GYD.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:19 am

I scan the fares from time to time and if I see something that works for somewhere I have to be, then I work it in and build around it. As for what I have booked for 2019, I nested ARN-HEL-JFK-LHR-ARN inside JFK-HEL-SVO-HEL-JFK earlier this year, already flew the first halves of both tickets, so I take the back end JFK-LHR-ARN to get to Europe in May for a wedding, then in late May, pick up the other ticket to get home SVO-HEL-JFK. Then like I said I may avail myself of the AY ticket above to get over to Europe in June to take care of some work in my apartment before continuing on to HKG, which was purely based on the fare being so cheap and liking any excuse to get to HKG, plus saw the ability to combine it with these other tickets (and stops in Mexico to get back to Europe in Sept. for that wedding). I used a SWU on a JFK-CDG AA flight to start summer July 17, then around Sept. 4 I need to depart Europe to get to a family BDay in NYC, so I would book the ATH-LHR-JFK-LHR-CDG flight for that, with the back end going to make sure the end of the AY ticket isn't wasted. The ex-MUC itin, was a creative way to get home from the wedding, and see some new places. It was all miles save for cheap Y flights KWI-BAH-GYD.
Very interesting. Thanks for the reply!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:02 pm

If you are crediting to AAdvantage, the EQDs here are also attractive. The cheapest fares (I) earn 25% of miles flown; however it's only about $500-$600 one-way to upgrade to D class, which earns 40% of miles flown. HKG is also, of course, an option with this fare. It will vary depending on the routing, but assuming a routing that is 10,000 miles flown each way, that's 5000 EQD for $2566 (1.94 EQD/$), 6500 EQD for $3055 (2.13 EQD/$), 8000 EQD for $3574 (2.24 EQD/$).

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 24, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
That is some impressively long range planning... or improvisation. My brain couldn't handle that level of future jetset.

I ended up around that cost for a one-way on my dates from before. Not a great deal, but about same price as KE when I factor in one less hotel night due to the YYZ-LHR red eye. Bit bummed to miss KE's apex suites on the 787, but have yet to fly on a A350 so wanted to check that box a bit more. Also if AS will end up providing credit for the BA leg (technically against the rules) then I'm doing far better EQM/RDM-wise (as is already a bit better on AY vs. KE due to the bonus).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.