Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY: YYZ-SIN FOR $2566

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Hello, if I take a reposition flight (AA) to YYZ and somehow I miss the outbound flight from YYZ, what is going to happen? Will AY or BA rebooks me to the next day? ORD and YYZ in the winter could be really messy.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by gogomustangs
Hello, if I take a reposition flight (AA) to YYZ and somehow I miss the outbound flight from YYZ, what is going to happen? Will AY or BA rebooks me to the next day? ORD and YYZ in the winter could be really messy.
I can't speak for BA or AY or their rebooking policy. You can call them and ask. Also, I don't know if you have status with them, as sometimes that can help. However, the weather in ORD may also be in YYZ, not always but winter is winter and stuff happens. Where possible, I build in longer connections for all travel in winter.
pmblinn likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I am worried about the same, so I am trying to give myself a bit more time on the outbound and also booked with United so that I have more rescheduling options between them and Air Canada should things get wonky.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:00 pm

FYI, YYZ to HKG or open-jaw flight via HKG are also feasible. The only concern is the long stopover.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: free agent
I am aware that this deal been around for ages. I would call myself as a novice with Matrix but is it possible to force YYZ-JFK-LHR-HEL, along with SIN-HKG-HEL-JFK-YYZ (yeah, am more than likely to get off at JFK) on matrix. Price is off the cart when I try to force routings through those airport. Any advices on advanced routing codes will be much appreciated.

I prefer AA's 77W over BA's metals out of JFK and as long it's marketed by Finnair, I should earn 25% EQD/2 EQM with Business I fare?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I am aware that this deal been around for ages. I would call myself as a novice with Matrix but is it possible to force YYZ-JFK-LHR-HEL, along with SIN-HKG-HEL-JFK-YYZ (yeah, am more than likely to get off at JFK) on matrix. Price is off the cart when I try to force routings through those airport. Any advices on advanced routing codes will be much appreciated.

I prefer AA's 77W over BA's metals out of JFK and as long it's marketed by Finnair, I should earn 25% EQD/2 EQM with Business I fare?
You can certainly route through JFK both ways, but it would be on AY's JFK-HEL flight. I don't think you can force JFK-LHR-HEL for the same price.

Until January 1, it's 1.5 EQM, but after that, yes, it's 2.0 EQM with an I fare.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:28 am

I can't speak with regards to this exact situation, but in general AA's official policy is pretty generous when connecting to/from Oneworld and the second ticket is also on Oneworld ticket stock. If you are on YYZ-JFK-HEL- . . ., I would expect AA simply to reroute ORD-JFK. If you are doing YYZ-LHR-HEL . . ., I would expect AA to put you on a non-stop ORD-LHR and pick up the rest of the ticket from there (this might require AA to communicate with AY since in this case AA isn't part of the second itinerary at all). It goes without saying that if possible I would try to do all of this in ORD if you are anticipating missing the flight in YYZ.

That said, the smartest thing to do (as others have said) is to build in a good buffer. Every time I've done this (repositioning from NYC), I've had to clear Canadian customs and US customs in YYZ/YUL, so definitely factor that in if you don't have GE/Nexus.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I can't speak with regards to this exact situation, but in general AA's official policy is pretty generous when connecting to/from Oneworld and the second ticket is also on Oneworld ticket stock. If you are on YYZ-JFK-HEL- . . ., I would expect AA simply to reroute ORD-JFK. If you are doing YYZ-LHR-HEL . . ., I would expect AA to put you on a non-stop ORD-LHR and pick up the rest of the ticket from there (this might require AA to communicate with AY since in this case AA isn't part of the second itinerary at all). It goes without saying that if possible I would try to do all of this in ORD if you are anticipating missing the flight in YYZ.

That said, the smartest thing to do (as others have said) is to build in a good buffer. Every time I've done this (repositioning from NYC), I've had to clear Canadian customs and US customs in YYZ/YUL, so definitely factor that in if you don't have GE/Nexus.
Thank you very much for your insight. But I would love to start from ORD. But the problem is ORD fare is substantially more expensive than YYZ as the origination point. Are you saying that AA would through check me if I have two different tickets, one from AA another from AY?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:07 pm

Thank you very much for your insight. But I would love to start from ORD. But the problem is ORD fare is substantially more expensive than YYZ as the origination point. Are you saying that AA would through check me if I have two different tickets, one from AA another from AY?
AA won't through check you, but they should protect you in case of IRROPs. That said, I would still give yourself plenty of time in YYZ, and if there are IRROPs it would be better to get rerouted in ORD, if possible.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I actually have to go YYZ-SIN & great to see this, but only one way. Fare work for that as well? Looking to credit to AS so pretty sure that has to be AY metal the whole way through, right?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by leland
I actually have to go YYZ-SIN & great to see this, but only one way. Fare work for that as well? Looking to credit to AS so pretty sure that has to be AY metal the whole way through, right?
It’s a little more expensive one-way (around $1550). AY doesn’t currently operate it’s own metal to YYZ, so it’ll be AA to JFK or BA to LHR. I think AY will sell you a ticket with a AA or BA flight number on that first leg (which is required to be eligible to credit to Mileage Plan), although I would double check on that. If you are worried about maximizing distance on AY marketed and operated flights, I would choose to go through JFK (even though that first leg will be in Y).
leland likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:19 am

Thanks, not open on my dates at close to that pricing (mid Jan). Mostly above 5k CAD one way. I didn't see options with AA/BA flight numbers - probably won't call to ask about that one given the current pricing levels. Most other flight options are shorter & cheaper - hard to justify not going for that combo
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:42 am

Thanks, not open on my dates at close to that pricing (mid Jan). Mostly above 5k CAD one way. I didn't see options with AA/BA flight numbers - probably won't call to ask about that one given the current pricing levels. Most other flight options are shorter & cheaper - hard to justify not going for that combo
I see 2089 CAD for a few days around mid-Jan, but not every day. This certainly is not the shortest way—and most of the time there’s at least one long connection. And HEL right now is not a great place to spend a long layover since the non-Schengen lounge complex is undergoing renovations.
leland likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:04 pm

I'm targeting Jan 12 departures (or alternatively Jan 14 arrivals). The website function to go +/- 3 days doesn't seem to work for me; nor does finding any AY connections on matrix. Best I could do was a Jan 13 departure for 2998 CAD taking 54 hours. I'm game for some inconvenience for miles but that takes it to a new level
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:13 pm

I'm targeting Jan 12 departures (or alternatively Jan 14 arrivals). The website function to go +/- 3 days doesn't seem to work for me; nor does finding any AY connections on matrix. Best I could do was a Jan 13 departure for 2998 CAD taking 54 hours. I'm game for some inconvenience for miles but that takes it to a new level
I'm not seeing anything for Jan 12, either. There are options to BKK for C$2089 on the 12th, but not to SIN.
leland likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.