Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

OW LAX/SFO-SVO (Moscow) in J Finn Air A350 - $2300 Many Dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW LAX/SFO-SVO (Moscow) in J Finn Air A350 - $2300 Many Dates

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by josephstern
Exactly. If I could do LAX-HEL-LAX, I think I'd buy one of these for an upcoming trip to Europe, and just buy the other parts separately. But SVO really complicates the situation.
You can... Just add a long stopover in Hel and stay less than 24hrs in Moscow - Russia allows 24h transit without Visa.
Leave your baggage in Hel for the trip to Moscow to avoid any complications

Last edited by OmniSheep; Nov 18, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: Auto corrected spelling
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You can book this one way SFO-JFK-HEL-SVO for $1785 with a 3 day stopover in HEL. They will not check for a Russian visa on the SFO-JFK-HEL segments as that will be your final destination that day. Make the last leg Aeroflot and Finnair will likely never find out about skipping it, not that it really matters.

https://goo.gl/flights/SLzNu

Last edited by SFOPeter; Nov 20, 2018 at 8:46 am
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
[QUOTE=SFOPeter;30448700] Make the last leg Aeroflot and Finnair will likely never find out about skipping it/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this a bit? It seems to go against everything else I've read on FT. Is it just an Aeroflot thing or did you get away with dropping a leg before?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by SFOPeter
You can book this one way SFO-JFK-HEL-SVO for $1785 with a 3 day stopover in HEL. They will not check for a Russian visa on the SFO-JFK-HEL segments as that will be your final destination that day. Make the last leg Aeroflot and Finnair will likely never find out about skipping it, not that it really matters.

https://goo.gl/flights/SLzNu
You could also buy a cheap refundable ticket from SVO to wherever, just in case, then cancel.
SFOPeter likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
[QUOTE=ft543;30460578]
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Make the last leg Aeroflot and Finnair will likely never find out about skipping it/QUOTE]

Could you elaborate on this a bit? It seems to go against everything else I've read on FT. Is it just an Aeroflot thing or did you get away with dropping a leg before?
You can generally drop the last leg, but if you abuse it repeatedly with an airline they will get mad about it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: United 1K
AY: SFO - SVO RT in J - $2367

Wide-open availability starting in April on days where Finnair has a flight from SFO.

Can't post links yet but it's easy to find on Google Flights.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by OmniSheep
You can... Just add a long stopover in Hel and stay less than 24hrs in Moscow - Russia allows 24h transit without Visa.
Leave your baggage in Hel for the trip to Moscow to avoid any complications
I am in the midst of this itinerary. Funny thing happened at the HEL airport. I had checked in for both HEL-SVO and SVO-HEL, the latter on SU. The AY gate agent asked me about a Russia visa. Told her I didn't need one because I was turning around and flying back to HEL after a five hour layover. This caused her some anguish, so she contacted her manager. At the end of the conversation, she told me that they would not permit me to fly to SVO and were cancelling both segments, but were keeping my HEL-SFO inbound. They were concerned that somehow they could be fined for the quick turnaround @ SVO, by whom I'm not sure. I didn't protest very hard since I could have cared less about flying to Moscow and preferred to stay in Helsinki any way. But, as I think about, I paid for those segments and probably should get a small refund. Also wasted a couple hours @ HEL, though the brand new Platinum Wing lounge was pretty great. OTOH, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Thoughts? Anybody else run into this? Others, you are forewarned.

Many thanks. Really enjoyed Helsinki. Currently across the gulf in Tallinn which is sort of a cruise ship tourist hell hole, but not that bad, though I'm out of things to do after a day and a half.

Last edited by mczlaw; Jun 13, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mczlaw
I am in the midst of this itinerary. Funny thing happened at the HEL airport. I had checked in for both HEL-SVO and SVO-HEL, the latter on SU. The AY gate agent asked me about a Russia visa. Told her I didn't need one because I was turning around and flying back to HEL after a five hour layover. This caused her some anguish, so she contacted her manager. At the end of the conversation, she told me that they would not permit me to fly to SVO and were cancelling both segments, but were keeping my HEL-SFO inbound. They were concerned that somehow they could be fined for the quick turnaround @ SVO, by whom I'm not sure. I didn't protest very hard since I could have cared less about flying to Moscow and preferred to stay in Helsinki any way. But, as I think about, I paid for those segments and probably should get a small refund. .
Only true if you are in transit to a 3rd country. Since your itinerary was FI > RU > FI, you don’t qualify for a TWOV in Russia.
You really lucked out, you may well have been denied boarding in SFO without a visa to your final destination.
nickohrn and MaxVO like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by ubiest

Only true if you are in transit to a 3rd country. Since your itinerary was FI > RU > FI, you don’t qualify for a TWOV in Russia.
You really lucked out, you may well have been denied boarding in SFO without a visa to your final destination.
Any undiscovered problems with the idea from post 19 (refundable tix to a 3d country, canceled while while in transit at SVO)?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:12 am

Interesting. What is the source of authority for this? I know it is true for China, but saw nothing preventing this itinerary for Russia. Thx.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Interesting. What is the source of authority for this? I know it is true for China, but saw nothing preventing this itinerary for Russia. Thx.
It's pretty simple: you can't enter Russian territory for transit without a visa. Any airport transit to a third country must be conducted airside, unless one has a transit visa (or some other suitable visa) or is eligible for visa free entry (well, taken you most likely aren't e.g. Cuban, it doesn't apply to you). This is nothing new. As for a source (besides I know this stuff for a fact), I could quote the IATA TIMATIC database: "Passengers with a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country within 24 hours. They must stay in the international transit area of the airport and have documents required for the next destination."

I'm always pretty amazed how people just book these types of itineraries without any proper research. It applies to travel documents/permits, vaccinations etc.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:42 am

Definition of Transit > passing through the territory of state A to reach state B, coming from state C, where B and C cannot be the same.
This is true for every country on the planet, as you point out China.
The itinerary HEL-SVO-HEL is not a transit of Russia, therefore it is not a transit visa that would be required, but a standard visa, as Moscow is your destination and not a transit point, even if you don’t leave the airport and stay under 24 hours.
There was a great discussion about doing B2B at DME on the BA forum, and how one unlucky soul was denied boarding at LHR. I’ll look it up and post it later.

edit: here’s the link Back to Back in Moscow - Denied Boarding at LHR

Last edited by ubiest; Jun 14, 2019 at 8:04 am Reason: Added link to a previous B2B in Russia
Old Jun 14, 2019, 3:17 am

What document would be required to support the intent to transit to a 3d country (printed itinerary, boarding pass, payment receipt)?
Also, I recall that SVO has several terminals connected airside with check points between them. It's conceivable that passage between terminals could be denied if you're not going to the terminal with a valid reason.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
What document would be required to support the intent to transit to a 3d country (printed itinerary, boarding pass, payment receipt)?
Also, I recall that SVO has several terminals connected airside with check points between them. It's conceivable that passage between terminals could be denied if you're not going to the terminal with a valid reason.
Reasonable expectation would be the same docs that are required for a transit visa, ie an onward ticket to a 3rd country and a visa for that 3rd country if you require one.

An interesting scenario would be to use the OPs original routing HEL-SVO-HEL, and use a throwaway (or refundable) ticket, say, SVO-WAW within 24h as the argument to be let on the flight at HEL.
What would happen when you go to the transit desk to get your BP for SVO-HEL? Will anyone care how you arrived to SVO, or will it become a legal back hole?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Reasonable expectation would be the same docs that are required for a transit visa, ie an onward ticket to a 3rd country and a visa for that 3rd country if you require one.
Appreciate the thoughtful responses here. I've not before had occasion to look at "transit" as a term of art specifically requiring that the onward destination be to a third country. My plain meaning sense was that a visa-exempt "transit" simply referred to any connection less than 24 hours, while remaining airside, without regard to destination. I understand the IATA TIMATIC is authoritative in the industry, however, and I probably should have checked it before booking this ticket (NB: website is iatatravelcentre.com). Cutting myself a little slack (and it's not like I'm a novice traveller), there were no red flags in the booking process, none during the checkin process (both with AY and SU, which issued online boarding passes) and I did note before booking that at least one fellow FTer suggested the back-to-back would be OK. I won't make that mistake again. As a sidenote, when I related this story to my 87-year-old father--his parents escaped Russia back around the time of Bolshevik Revolution--he was relieved I didn't end up in a gulag somewhere . Bottom line: I'll probably hold off asking AY for a refund on my cancelled segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.